back to article AI guru Ng: Fearing a rise of killer robots is like worrying about overpopulation on Mars

Artificial intelligence boffin Andrew Ng told engineers today that worrying about the rise of evil killer robots is like worrying about overpopulation and pollution on Mars before we've even set foot on it. Ng – chief scientist at Chinese web search giant Baidu and an associate professor at Stanford University – said fretting …

Page:

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Re: ED-209

Gotta love the ED-209, nasty bit of work he is, but has the same problem as Dalek's with stairs!

1. smartypants

He's part of the conspiracy!

If you were actively planning to create a race of malevolent machines which would threaten humanity, then research like this bloke's is part of the environment that must be in place for the capability to develop.

Just as important, during the decades it takes to get technology to the right level, you need people to soothe the general populace that there's no need to panic,in case they bring development to a halt.

He is trying to kill us all! It's a plot! Etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: He's part of the conspiracy!

My thoughts entirely, he's the AI killer robot version of what "daywalkers" are for vampires, he should be careful though it's a strategy didn't work out that well for the human version of Balthazar in the original Battlestar Galactica lol

2. aberglas

Re: He's part of the conspiracy!

Don't mistake conspiracy for incompetence.

Ng just wants his next research grant, and does not want to deal with ethical issues, or people asking questions about AI research in general. Ng will probably be retired before truly intelligent machines are built.

Also, Ng seems to be doing big data statistical research, which is a long, long way from the core AI research which will eventually produce the AI.

2. kmac499
    Joke

Simple Safety Device

Proposed new British, CE, DIN, ANSI standard

"All potentially lethal AI Robotic equipment shall be fitted with a mains lead no longer than 10 metres."

Job Done; Next problem

1. DropBear
      Trollface

Re: Simple Safety Device

Reminds me of the Naked Gun movie (whichever it was) where they disarmed the refrigerator-sized superbomb by... unplugging it in the last second.

2. aberglas

Re: Simple Safety Device

I presume this post is a joke.

You personally cannot unplug a corporate or military computer, they are locked away and guarded. A intelligent machine would be very useful, and so be highly guarded. And guards are not that difficult to manipulate.

So long before they have robots of their own they will be physically powerful.

3. Tail Up
    Happy

Reg Regd

Last time we've talked with Mr. Bong :-) , we've been trying to work out what kind of interface should it be - a suit, a nutshell or a head plug. Head plug is more comfortable for the end user, and we even found an unused space inside the brain for mounting a control unit, but the cooling system is still of more volume than a braincase... hmm, circulation of the cooling fluid through the plug... and why didn't God add some cranial space above the back of the head to built in both a module and antenna?

SomeICOn.

4. Mtech25
    Devil

Obviously he has yet to meet my legion of Knife wielding Rhumbas

Sooon you will be cowering before me BwUAHHA

Now if only I could get them to stop going into walls...

1. Tom 35

Re: Obviously he has yet to meet my legion of Knife wielding Rhumbas

Have you tried having a cat ride on top? There must be reason for all those videos on youtube.

5. Gigabob

Ted Cruz is already on it

With his fervent effort to repeal laws that don't exist and aggressive questioning of NASA head Charles Bolden - I think Ted is living proof their is no intelligence in Government, much less on Mars.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon