back to article Windows XP beats 8.1 in December market share stats

Windows 7 remains the planet's dominant desktop operating system, but Windows XP again claimed second place during December 2014 according to data from Statcounter.com and Netmarketshare. We've tracked the two firms' data for a year now and both have produced some odd dips and surges, reflecting their imperfect methods of …

Page:

1. sharkyblunt

Windows XP - tip of the (non-websurfing) iceberg

Presumably these stats way under-call the amount of XP workstations out there too. I went for a hospital appointment recently and saw XP terminals all over the placfe, which presumably don't surf the web and therefore don't show up in these stats, The same goes for the number of XP based EPOS terminals and even cash points you still see around the place.

1. Andy Non Silver badge

Re: Windows XP - tip of the (non-websurfing) iceberg

I noticed the same thing in my local hospital. Lots of XP computers hooked up to medical equipment.

I also still have and use an old XP computer but it goes nowhere near the internet. It is too old to upgrade or mess with and does what I need... if it ain't broke don't fix it.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

I also still have and use an old XP computer but it goes nowhere near the internet. It is too old to upgrade or mess with and does what I need... if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I currently use a couple of older XP systems for the children to use on the Internet! a nice thing being is that the lock down tools are mature (as is my ability to admin these systems) and re-imaging the disk is so much easier than with Win7 or 8...

1. Col_Panek

My granddaughters run Bodhi Linux on an old XP machine. Safe and quick.

2. Ketlan

Harumph...

'I noticed the same thing in my local hospital. Lots of XP computers hooked up to medical equipment.'

So did I during a long stay at my local infirmary but three out of four items weren't working, these worst affected being those most commonly used.

3. Jess

It could be that Christmas caused a lot of people who now use their phones or tablets most of the time to turn on the old XP machines they have saved for when they need a computer.

4. Big Ed

And I Love Driving Stick Shift Too...

MS needs to behave more like the auto industry. They have platforms that they build cars and trucks off of. On top of the platform they build sexy, sleek, fast, economical, and funtional. MS OS guts are the platform that gives phone, tab, desktop, and server. MS should seperate the UI from the platform and run seperate code branches to let people and orgs choose their own sexy, sleek, ... And for that matter, let 3rd parties build custom Shelbys and Taxi cabs. At my age, I love my stodgy old XP UI; it aint sexy, but it sure is fast, funtional, and economical.

1. Col_Panek

Re: And I Love Driving Stick Shift Too...

And by "MS", you meant Linux, right?

5. David McCarthy

My New Year Windows XP Prediction

Okay, so most people have a resolution about this time, but I'm going to put this prediction in my calender (Outlook, of course!) and check each January:

"Windows XP will outlive Microsoft."

Pick the bones out of that, Satya.

6. DLKirkwood
    Coat

Why this PC user switched to MAC

The majority of Win 7 and 8 users hate it (or else it is one of the first systems they had) and prefer

the XP OS; why? Because XP finally got all the patches it needed to be a dependable system, and 7 - present is a failed attempt for PC's to work like MAC's - except they still can't figure how to keep their systems protected against hacking and viruses.

I stated out with Win 95 and when up from there in a relatively short peroiod of time 1996 − 2016 history:

Several PC's and Windows 95, 98, 2000, ME (which I worked well fo rme and I liked but MS killed it after 6 months), then XP for a couple years. All except ME had multiple fixes and patches, and needed antivirus software every year to keep them working, as you typed with your fingers crossed.

Finally bit the bullet and said NO MORE. Switched to a Mac Pro model 2007 and I have only needed to increase RAM (less than $100 US) because I did it myself. MACS only SEEM more expensive. But the investment of the cost for quality, and getting the couple programs I needed for my work (Word for MAC, ADOBE PROFESSIONAL PDF, and Photoshop) still is not as much as I speant for multiple computers and anti-virus software (and time spent in repair parts, etc) - and the MAC is still going strong.

And from what I hear the new systems even do well with those who like gaming, and such. Still, I would buy one more PC laptop IF I could find one that was built compatibly for the XP OS I still have so that I could install the two software packages I have for PC: Coral Draw Suite, and PC Study Bible Reference Library that I paid close to $800.00 +/- at the time.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like