back to article Nork-ribbing flick The Interview AXED: Sony caves under hack terror 'menace'

Sony Pictures has confirmed the inevitable and cancelled the December 25 launch of The Interview after most major theater chains refused to run it. "The ability of our guests to enjoy the entertainment they choose in safety and comfort is and will continue to be a priority for theater owners," said the National Association of …

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Stinker

That seems far more likely. I dont see the terrorism threat at all. "Hackers" have never delivered physicle violence, they dont want to leave their bedrooms. Even if its Norks - they havent got the reach to inflict violence on NY cinema goers. If it was that other bunch of psychos.... that'd be a differrent story

1. thomas k.

Couldn't be any worse than Pineapple Express and they didn't hesitate to release that turkey.

(Only thing that made it watchable was Franco.)

1. elip
        WTF?

WTF are you talking about? Pineapple Express and Your Highness are cult classics. Every time Franco and Rogen get together they make comedy gold son!

1. Lord Lien
    Joke

Blame game should start now so....

.... is it safe to get my popcorn out, or just leave it where it is & move long as there is now nothing to see!

2. mr. deadlift

Forks ningered

anyone else read it as that?

i would have thought the notoriety around this one would only boost revenue, go Sony.

3. Adam Higgins
    FAIL

no great loss

"About as funny as a communist food shortage, and just as protracted."--Scott Foundas, Variety.

God, I wish I'd thought of that.

1. g e

Re: no great loss

You will, Oscar, you will

- Monty Python

2. elip

Re: no great loss

"no great loss" <--- ???

Ahh, yes, nothing like professional critics with their solid, historic contributions to ... ummm... art and culture? If you base your decision to watch a film, listen to a record, or go see an art show, on a critical review by paid haters, you're missing out on a whole lot of beauty.

4. jake Silver badge

Wimps.

The crackers (NOT hackers!) are toothless.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Wimps.

Toothless? The pwned Sony in every sense of the word.

5. Amorphous

Kum sa ham ni da

Kum sa ham ni da, Sony - you have been moderated. Kim has got you by the balls.

1. Bumpy Cat

Re: Kum sa ham ni da

Fatty Kim with his Chinese smuggler haircut.

6. Eddy Ito
    Black Helicopters

Tin foil

You know the lead lined tin foil hat brigade would say the hack and subsequent threats were done by the NSA because the movie plot was too close to their current plans for North Korea.

1. Alan W. Rateliff, II
      Black Helicopters

Re: Tin foil

Holy shit, what is this is just a publicity stunt???

7. tkioz

What a pack of gutless wonders.

I wasn't very interested in the film, I thought it was a rather pathetic idea really, but pulling it because North Korea threw a fit and a bunch of servers got hacked? That's even more pathetic.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: What a pack of gutless wonders.

Just shows that Sony can dish it out, but can't take it.

Please see their MPAA intimidation and prosecution tactics posted yesterday on most news sites.

8. The Morgan Doctrine

NORKs ought to fund assassination of POTUS, staring Jackie Chan and Lucy Liu

This could be the best-selling DVD of all time…if Sony were smart.

And if the NORKs were smart, they'd fund their own movie of the assassination of Barak Obama, staring Jackie Chan and Lucy Liu.

But neither organization is smart, which goes to show that…drum roll…two dumbs don't make a bright.

1. Shannon Jacobs
      Holmes

Re: NORKs ought to fund assassination of POTUS, staring Jackie Chan and Lucy Liu

Are you being sarcastic? If so, your presentation is poor. It's a major stretch to interpret your comment as some sort of free speech claim rather than as a racist attack on President Obama.

Are you trying to say the terrorists should have come up with millions of dollars to fund their own assassination movie, or, as seems to be the case, you are saying you would approve of and presumably pay to see a movie about the assassination of Obama?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: NORKs ought to fund assassination of POTUS, staring Jackie Chan and Lucy Liu

There have been movies about plots to assassinate the president before. The only difference is they didn't use the same/likeness of the current president.

Not sure why you claim it is a "racist" attack. Would it be OK if Romney was president and he suggested Sony funding a film about assassinating him? You couldn't call that racist, so what would your objection be then? You seem to be playing the race card a bit quickly here, maybe you should wait until someone actually says something racist first.

2. Ken Y-N
      Mushroom

The NORKs did this, basically, last year:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/9939715/N-Korea-video-shows-Washington-under-attack.html

"another [...] depicted US soldiers and President Barack Obama burning in the flames of a nuclear blast."

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This could be the best-selling DVD of all time…if Sony were smart.

Yes but since a lot of these DVDs are made in cheap factories in the far east and printed by a machine what if the North Koreans hacked the machines producing it and the DVD release of the film was made with a rootkit on the disc, so people playing it on a computer got infected!?

1. IglooDude

Sorry, wait - wasn't this sorta what Sony did with audio CDs a while back?

9. Shannon Jacobs
    Holmes

Terrorists win BIG time--America is now a nation of cowards

What this means is that EVERY future movie project will be considered in terms of the risk of a "release-killing terrorist threat". Anything that is too provocative or risky will never even be made because the studio will be afraid of losing the entire investment.

In addition, you can look forward to the terrorists pushing the line to see exactly which movies they can censor. Well, "look forward" is too soft. Rather you can count on it. The precedent has been clearly established, even if the movie itself was a muddled message.

Freedom = (Meaningful - Coerced) Choice ≠ (Beer | Speech)

You do NOT have the freedom to choose to watch this movie, so this is a place where free speech crosses into the freedom area.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Terrorists win BIG time--America is now a nation of cowards

Is now? You just noticed it today? That was proven in the response to 9/11, where freedoms were taken from us and and the sheep applauded it in every poll I saw. Even now look at all the people who say Snowden is a traitor and don't see anything wrong with the government spying on everything and everyone so long as it saves one person from a terrorist attack.

If only the Soviets had known they could have beaten us not through nukes, tanks and propaganda, but by simply making us so afraid we'd willingly hand over our freedoms. I'll bet the old guard hardliners that are still alive in the Moscow nursing homes are kicking themselves to sleep every night.

1. Charles 9

Thing is, at least the Soviets were reasonably rational and wouldn't have fired the nukes unless actually threatened. That's why Mutual Assured Destruction worked with them.

With the Norks...you're not so sure. Kim Jong Un may well consider World War III preferable to the movie being released. What do you do against a madman with no regard for life and his finger pressed on a Dead Man's Switch?

1. MJI Silver badge

But would their ICBWM make it that far?

Intra Continental Ballistic Washing Machine

10. Winkypop Silver badge
    Mushroom

NATO are involved!

Shit!

[Runs away]

[Preps bunker]

* National Association of Theatre Owners (NATO)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Grow some balls!

If you change your behaviour based on the actions of criminals then the criminals have won anyway.

1. Charles 9

Re: Grow some balls!

And if the criminals are backed by a rogue state and know where you and your family live and have threatened to blow up your house while you sleep? That's the level of the threat being posed right now: it's getting personal.

Also, don't forget that the Norks carry what's considered the ultimate trump card. Even if they don't turn nukes on America, there's always Seoul to worry about. A target that close they don't need to shoot a missile; it can just be smuggled in Sum of All Fears-style.

1. Alister

And if the criminals are backed by a rogue state and know where you and your family live and have threatened to blow up your house while you sleep? That's the level of the threat being posed right now: it's getting personal.

This just shows the irrational level of fear to which America has sunk.

Come ON! There is no likelihood of this threat being acted upon, the resources necessary to carry out the threat make it impossible, even for "a rogue state".

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

I keep seeing references to the Norks sending a Nuke to the US, but I wasn't aware they had that capability. Citation required please.

1. Charles 9

Not thinking so much the US (though if they did, think a high-altitude blast over South Dakota--just ONE EMP's bound to be murder). But what about Seoul? That alone could be enough to seriously destabilize the region, would be pretty easy for them to pull off (Seoul's within artillery range of the DMZ), and recall Kim Jong Un isn't exactly what one would call the rational sort.

2. Charles 9

"Come ON! There is no likelihood of this threat being acted upon, the resources necessary to carry out the threat make it impossible, even for "a rogue state"."

Three guys with fertilizer, diesel, and a rent-a-truck demolished a major building in Oklahoma City 20 years ago, without any state backing. A bunch of guys turned airliners into fuel bombs in 2001. The Target and Home Depot hacks and now Sony Pictures (perhaps even the mother company). Who are we to prove what's possible and what's not in today's society?

1. Tom 38

So you think "rogue state after me" is bad, but you then admit that "rogue state is irrelevant to being attacked". So, what, you just don't go outside?

3. Mark 85

I wouldn't say "impossible" but maybe improbable. Then again, before 9-11 most people would have said a group commandeering 4 airliners and flying them into buildings was impossible. (yeah, I know, only 3 hit their targets.)

1. thomas k.

Everyone except Tom Clancy, of course.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"If you change your behaviour based on the actions of criminals then the criminals have won anyway.If you change your behaviour based on the actions of criminals then the criminals have won anyway."

So the criminals win when you use a firewall or an anti-virus/anti-malware app? Sounds to me like a pretty stupid point of view.

3. JohnMcL

What fool at Sony gave the okay to a comedy about a communist dictator of a country previously described as part of the Axis of Evil?

Will Sony now produce comedy about the prophet Mohammed? That will have the audience rolling in the aisles, not!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time for Sony to release the film to the public domain via P2P and Youtube so that everyone can watch it. Give those terrorists a black eye they won't ever forget. Victory in one move.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The Norks are lucky to have electricity, let alone Internet access. No, if the West wants the Nork proles to see the movie, it'll have to be smuggled in on DVD via South Korea's North resistance groups.

As for canning the movie altogether, did they say outright that this was a permanent cancellation or just an "until further notice" postponement meant to delay the movie until after the hectic holiday period? Or it could be a bait and switch. Lie about delaying the move than release it anyway.

1. Where not exists

Postponed, not cancelled

It's not unusual for Hollywood to postpone a film release. This happened right after Sept 11. (Can't remember what films were held back then.) This one could well see release sometime later.

13. Zack Mollusc

Wow! HUGE Precedent set!

This is incredible news. For years we have ignored the warnings about those unscrupulous vermin and allowed them to grow in influence and power, but now the North Koreans seem to have struck a blow against them. Massive PR victory for Kim Jong Un !

1. Mark 85

Re: Wow! HUGE Precedent set!

For years we have ignored the warnings about those unscrupulous vermin and allowed them to grow in influence and power,

For a moment there, I though you were talking about SONY.

14. tesmith47

in no way do i endorse the Sony hack,.......BUT some of the revelations about pay, gender inequality and the racist hateful attitude that Sony has towards the Black customers of their films are worthy of exposure.

I, for one will NOT be seeing any Sony movies until some heads roll

15. MnM
    WTF?

How many...

...Sony films feature Chuck Norris?

1. VinceH

Re: How many...

It doesn't matter.

All that matters is that the film in question doesn't feature him - if it did the Guardians of Piss would've been too scared to try to stop its release.

16. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Responsible criminals?

What, are they like film critics now?

" when the responsible criminals are apprehended."

I would have though it should be "the criminals responsible", but maybe the first one is more accurate.

17. This post has been deleted by its author

18. Avatar of They
    FAIL

*Sigh*

So to recap.

Terrorism 1, Reality 0.

I predict.

This will end up as a film in itself in about 5 years.

Another raft of "Evidence" for so called anti-terror laws will now be brought forward by our dictatorship loving MP's.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like