back to article Linux software nasty slithers out of online watering holes

A malware instance built on the shoulders of a trojan so powerful it lead to the creation of the US Cyber Command has been updated with Linux-popping capabilities, Kaspersky researcher Kurt Baumgartner says. The Turla advanced malware is thought to have employed its top notch stealth capabilities to remain hidden on some …

Page:

1. strings
    Childcatcher

Fingerprint

it would be interesting to see how this "new WINDOWS BASED malware " will fingerprint the *nix based system and decide "which" cve to exploit ,considering there are multiple *nix vendors ?.

Sounds like another method /vector to attack the hypervisor host,not exactly new if you look at the large citrix clients base servering up web applications and the flow of cve's for this area,although more arm based issues than x86.

It makes my heart bleed and i'am shell shocked by these new discoveries!.

Serve those patches up! with no desert.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you think you have it you have but you wont know

@ MyffyW

Bronze badge

To be honest there's a lot of noise here but no perceptible signal.

Beyond normal good systems hygiene (firewall, patching, no unnecessary services, not being an idiot etc etc) should I do anything different as a result of this news?

@ in 2 years time when your av picks it up you will know !.

3. JamesTQuirk

Or another thought is running a OS under Visualization, a cut down, built for Job Distro, DSL is @ 50meg stock Version, ready to internet, BUT say like an example a the "Tiny Core Project" can produce, an 12MB FLTK/FLWM desktop.

If u can cut that down further, and run bash Scripts .... ON a say 8core,32gb, sata ssd System, lucky to have a fibre 100MBsx40MBs internet, I think a sub 5-6 meg iso style file, which would DOWNLOAD in milliseconds, could contain, a whole other OS, running in Back ground VM Process, before you could blink, it could be unpacking, & then be lying doggo, waiting .....

(My choice be a VM of a newer DOS Based, BAT file driven Monster, Easier to hide in windows coop ..)

Why I switch it off Visualization in bios on my Online machines & have 2 networks, TRUE home, & other internet capable, things only moved between networks on USB drives, after carefully inspection, but last virus that got me, was on a Amiga, not letting me guard down now ....

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like