back to article Blade Runner sequel might actually be good. Harrison Ford is in it

Harrison Ford will star in the much-anticipated sequel to Blade Runner, director Ridley Scott has confirmed. However, Scott will not direct the follow-up to this iconic film, even though he worked with the original movie's screenwriter, Hampton Fancher, to develop its script. Ford has become something of a cinematic Lazarus …

Re: "Always leave them wanting more"

Yep - except that Alien and Aliens are completely different films - Alien is a horror movie, Aliens is an action movie. Of the two, I think the first has a slight edge, but both stand up well.

This post has been deleted by its author

There was no novel adapted from the movie. It was just the PKD novel with the title Bladerunner, a shot looking like Harrison Ford in the movie, and the subtitle 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep'.

It was part of the contract conditions. PKD wrote about Bladerunner, the pieces I've read were 'screw this, just a lot of explosions and nothing to do with my vision' and later, not long before his death, but before the theatrical release, a piece that still recognised the departure from the source material, but expressed enjoyment for the film.

If you are really interested, there is (or was) also an early version of the screenplay on pdf floating about, it is well worth reading. I still have a copy somewhere. Very different from the film as it was released, and quite interesting.

Deckard was human but might have failed the test he applied to a subject to determine if it was a replicant.

Deckard was a replicant.

The key is the origami-guy, who always seem to know what Deckard is thinking, making little origamis to illustrate it. At the end, when Deckard and Rachel are fleeing, Deckard finds an origami unicorn outside his apartment, just like the one he dreams about when slumped over the piano. This mirrors the scene where Deckard tells Rachel about her childhood 'memories'. Deckards memories are implants, that's how origami-guy knows about his dreams.

And no, memory implants don't grant longer lifespan. At least one of the rogue replicants had memory implants too. You could even argue that Roy's memories of space battles were implants too, fit for a soldier droid.

Decker will be found with his brains transplanted into a Jar Jar Binks form. He shits an assortment of spotted and striped multicolor Easter eggs when he gets excited, as he pulls out that blaster to pop a replicant. So, it's not a question anymore if he is human or replicant, it's will he become the True Messiah and learn to wear tennis shoes on those cartoon feet??

How Possible?

If Deckard and Rachel were both replicants then they shouldn't have survived more than the 3-or-so years that Tyrell's design allowed. So, how could something as crusty as Ford possibly still be around. (It would be ungentlemanly to speculate on Ms.Young's current appearance.)

Re: How Possible?

A) he might have been one of the protype models that didnt have the safeguard built in and didnt go insane

B) he might not have been a replicant

Re: How Possible?

No, as

A) - That was only relevant to the original studio release after Scott was sacked from the director's chair, the studio added the daft voice over and happy ending. There were no such prototypes in the Director's/Final Cuts of the film.

B) - No as Scott maintained that Deckard was a replicant, hence the whole unicorn scene (and of course 'too bad she won't live, but then again, who does?')

Finally having Ford in it is no assurance of quality, think of the god-awful Indianna Jones 4.

"think of the god-awful Indianna Jones 4."

I don't understand... There were only 3 Indiana Jones films.

There was only 1 Matrix film as well.

Gold badge

Re: "think of the god-awful Indianna Jones 4."

Shrimpling,

Good point. Now it's coming up to Christmas, do you think they'll ever make a sequel to Die Hard?

"....Ms.Young's current appearance...."

Not half bad, IMHO

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Sean+Young/Jug+Face+Portraits+2013+Sundance+Film+Festival/D_UDelfcbrX

(and how could I have forgotten that she was in 'Dune' too? Oh, yeah, right...)

Gold badge

Re: "....Ms.Young's current appearance...."

According to the documentary on Bladerunner, Ridley Scott said he was working on Dune, when he decided to drop it, and do Bladerunner instead. I wonder what he'd have made of it? He'd have struggled to do worse...

I'm sure someone could make a much better stab at it now, with modern technology. Still a very hard film to do though. So much of the plot is going on in Paul's head.

Gold badge

The Dune 2000 movies were good. Not 100% plot accurate, but still damned fine movies.

Re: "think of the god-awful Indianna Jones 4."

There were only 2 Indiana jones films

Bike, Pole, Joust.. expelled

take a watch of Jodorowsky's Dune.... had watched all the other shite on a flight back from the US to UK so this was the only one I hadn't seen... quite interesting... the influence he had on all the good movies afterwards is astounding for a movie that was never made... technically a screenplay I think?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935156/

weighing the options...

Positive: Blade runner is based on a book (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep), which has a sequel (Blade Runner 2 The Edge of Human). As such they might not venture too far into Jar-Jar-Binks territory

Negative: The 2nd book isn't as good as the first (although still ok). Also, there is no guarantee they will follow the 2nd book / no guarantee that even if they follow the 2nd book it still won't be shit.

Negative 2: there are 4 books in total - there's a chance disney will buy the whole franchise after the 4th movie (12th movie if Peter Jackson is brought in to direct) and then release a golden stream of meh for decades to come.

Staying Positive :)

Re: weighing the options...

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was written by Philip K Dick. The Bladerunner follow-ups were not, and therefore are to be taken no more seriously than any other fan-fiction.

Silver badge

"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was written by Philip K Dick. The Bladerunner follow-ups were not, and therefore are to be taken no more seriously than any other fan-fiction."

I have this vague recollection of Jeter talking to PKD about DADoES before he died, so they would be rather more canonesque than fan fiction, if my memory is right (although it might well not be...).

Approved by the PKD estate as most likely to make money?

Hated the original film, and while the directors final, final, absolutely final, never going to be a better version (sorry, did we mention 4k?) cut was an improvement, I still didn't like it that much. I keep watching Blade Runner in its various incarnations expecting (hoping?) to like it, and always being disappointed.

Don't hold out much hope if the Alien 'prequel' was anything to go by.

Silver badge

The first film was based on a book which was based on a deep philosophical question by a great author.

This film is based on a tax demand to a studio exec

Re: based on a book which was based on a deep philosophical

If by based on in the same sense as a Sean Connery James Bond film was based on the Ian Flemming book, yes.

Otherwise, epic fail.

Coat

@DavCrav Re: weighing the options...

>I have this vague recollection of Jeter talking to PKD about DADoES

Wouldn't he have been better talking to B&Q about those? Could have helped with his SKiRTING BOaRDS too...

Anonymous Coward

So last time he came out of retirement to kill the skinjobs, this time they'll have to smuggle him out of the old folks home.

Blade runner the RED edition (old folks and strongmen still have mortgages & alimony to pay)

Maybe we can get Arnie & Sly into it somehow.

Silver badge

So Deckhard will be the Bladerunner equivalent to Murdock from the A-Team, then, except the team will have to break him out of an old folks home instead of a mental hospital?

In 2019 a crack Blade Runner unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles dystopia. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as hunters of replicants. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire The Blade Runner-Team.

"Hans Solo" ? HANS? Oh come on guys, make SOME effort at accuracy! :-P

Replicants with no termination date?

But which version will it follow on from? The Final cut ? In which case do we know if Rachel and/or Deckard have no termination date?

Re: Replicants with no termination date?

Deckard had a very definite termination date in the PKD book.

Zot

"It's too bad she won't live. But then again, who does?"

-Gaff.

Silver badge
Trollface

Re: "It's too bad she won't live. But then again, who does?"

Gaff was so depressed by having had to tell this lie that he changed his name, invented himself a new life and enlisted in the Space Navy. He ended up commanding a Battlestar rustbucket with no modern computer support and a misfit crew, not to mention an alcoholic XO.

And that's when his Replicant troubles REALLY started...

I don't know whether to approve of this "crossing the streams". Will think about it...

Anonymous Coward

Gaff ... Edward James Olmos

Admiral William Adama ... Edward James Olmos

Anonymous Coward

The full quote, please...

A quick search gives:

"You're all clear, kid, now let's *blow* this thing and go home!"

Probably the best approach to sequels...

Re: The full quote, please...

Well if you want to "blow" stuff up, you'd have to get Michael Bay to direct. BOOM!!!

Silver badge

If they re-do the bit where Daryl Hannah

flick-flacks across the floor and sits on Harrisons face they can pay for cleaning the popcorn vomit off the rows in front!

Re: If they re-do the bit where Daryl Hannah

Slightly prissy comment there...

Not that they would "re-do" that bit, but the scene was entirely in keeping with Pris's design: she was engineered to be a "basic pleasure model". The scene lets us know just how easily she gets off.

Zot

And it was actually a bloke that did the forward flipping in that scene! :p

the short life span isn't a problem

Harrison Fords age isn't necessarily an issue. If you assume Batty died young due to physically pushing himself as a combat model, you could set the film a year or so after the first, have Deckard as an aged person rapidly going old due to the short life span (not being so active he doesn't just drop dead like Batty), it, would however answer the ambiguity of the unicorn.

Still likely be awful though...

Headmaster

Re: the short life span isn't a problem

IMO Tyrell's statement to Batty about burning twice as bright, living half as long was just to use a Chinese proverb to placate him, not that replicants lived longer if they had quieter lives!

It didn't seem to work very well though!

Silver badge

Bladerunner needs a sequel...

about as much as Alien needed a prequel.

Silver badge
Big Brother

Re: Bladerunner needs a sequel...

You seem to be unaware that you in fact have an irresistible need to watch a sequel to Blade Runner. No matter, if all else fails, we shall employ methods you might remember from A Clockwork Orange to make you watch it...

FAIL

Retire me now

The original book was one thing and the film quite different. It was stylish and original (at least as far as a sci-fi/noir crossover can be). But quite different to the source material, somewhat over-rated and flawed in many ways. As a part-time OCD-er I loath its inconsistencies but still love it as a film.

Regardless of this, any modern day sequel is pre-destined to be utter sheeite and I fail to see any reason to expect otherwise in this case.

Re: Retire me now

>As a part-time OCD-er ...

I'm pretty sure that's not a thing.

Silver badge

"Ford was recently confined to a wheelchair after he suffered a serious ankle injury aboard the Millennium Falcon, which was parked on a film set in London."

Bloody show off. Why couldn't just take a taxi to the set like the other cast and crew?

I'VE....

...got a bad feeling about this...

Happy

Wizards

Hopefully they'll set it in wizards school, with maybe some vampires / teen peril.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017