back to article Got a STRAP-ON? Remember to TAKE IT OFF at WORK

As soon as I arrive at a client’s office, I take everything off. The scratchy, suffocating feeling produced simply by wearing stuff drives me to distraction, so whenever I get the chance, off it comes. Oh to feel the air on my skin... My clothes, you will be relieved to learn, remain distributed in rough approximation of …

Page:

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Most people who use a boring old wristwatch can’t remember when they last changed the battery, if ever."

I can. Yesterday.

1. Cpt Blue Bear

So can I: September 1987. That was when I bought my first self-winding Seiko.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't know. Slapping a Cunt Dracula down in a gay bar might get you a lot of friends.

Sorry .. I thought I'd lower the tone even more. I'll get me coat.

3. Haku

I loved my Casio wrist watches as a kid.

The battery in one of them actually lasted 5 years, even more amazing was that the strap lasted that long too!

Now with screens everywhere telling me what time it is, along with a water powered desk clock, I don't wear a wristwatch anymore, but that hasn't stopped me collecting them, over 40 of the game types from the 80s/early 90s such as Donkey Kong, several Mario Bros, Pac-Man, Batman, Q*Bert etc. including ones that look like Game Boys and some really rare ones that look like Sega Game Gears.

4. Stu J

Not just oldies

From having a mobile phone from when I was 16, I gave up wearing a watch and used my phone (and later smartphone) for time-telling duties for nearly 15 years.

Then I got a job where I have to take, on average, 35-45 flights a year. A real watch is much, much easier to use when you're on a long haul flight - you wake up, lift your blindfold a smidgin, and glance at your wrist - to realise you've only been asleep half an hour, and turbulence has just woken you up, again. Compare that to either having to contort to get a smartphone out of your pocket (whilst elbowing your sleeping neighbour in the head), or shuffling through the contents of the seatback pocket in front. One with time zone functions on it is even better...! Oh, and it doesn't run down the battery on your phone that you might actually need wherever you're going.

5. Teiwaz

"Time is an illusion, Lunchtime Doubly so." - Ford Prefect (HHGTTG - Douglas Adams)

No longer own a wristwatch (they just feel weird now), rarely remember to bring my mobile anywhere.

If I just guess, I'm usually not much more than 15 minutes out*. We evolved on this planet (or at least been here long enough to adjust to its rhythms to just 'know' what 'time' it is.

* Unless I've just woken up, in which case I don't know if it is bum or breakfast time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime Doubly so." - Ford Prefect (HHGTTG - Douglas Adams)

We evolved on this planet, we did most of that evolving in Africa. Which may be why disturbed sleep patterns are so common in those of us who live well above the equator. How do you tell the bit of your brain that handles circadian rhythms to adjust for DST and day length variation?

I'm not disbelieving you, just suggesting that evolution hasn't yet had time to catch up with our use of the 24 hour clock.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

+1 for old guys with sweaty wrists. When I'm dressing up I have a self-winding Omega (which I have to adjust twice a year for DST) with a sharkskin band (which I have to replace every three or four years as my sweat eats through it).

1. Cpt Blue Bear

I hate to be the one to tell you, but if your sweat "eats through it" then its not shark skin. Similar to the the chick who can't wear gold because it leave a green stain on her skin...

7. Fihart

Metal watch bracelet.

Can anyone settle the argument between my brother and I. Both own the expensive waterproof watches (apparently) favoured by tennis players and golfers.

These bracelets can collect a lot of nastiness -- presumably sweat soaked dead skin and ground metal -- and if left uncleaned will leave a black tidemark on wrist after exertion.

My brother wears the watch in bath or shower and washes it with soap.

With less faith in the waterproofing I remove the bracelet periodically and clean it in meths/rubbing alcohol. My brother suggests that the latter approach will wear the bracelet out as it strips any natural lubrication from the links.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Metal watch bracelet.

I'm with your brother here (if you see what I mean) ... I also use soap and water in the shower to clean my watch (which does have a metal strap)

8. Michael Habel

I've said it before

If Digital Smart Watches, were such a ..."Pretty neat idea".... They'd have taken off with the likes of Samsung, and all those other Chinese Clones by now. Sure Apple, being Apple can probably get away with seeing any old iCrap to the iDolts. But, let us not kid ourselves into thinking that Apple are gonna set this Market alight. Where everybody else has hitherto failed to actually do so...

The Smart Watch... While a ..."pretty neat idea...", its still not neat enough to get me to part with those little bits of Green Paper, that weren't on the whole... unhappy.

1. Alistair Dabbs

Re: I've said it before

You'd think so but product acceptance doesn't work that way. Lots of good new ideas struggle because consumers are worried that (1) they are a short-term fad that won't be supported for long, (2) buyers will look stupid for buying something no-one else has, and (3) lack of competition keeps them expensive. Back in the 80s it was understood that there was no market for men's magazines, and in the 90s Oki bust a gut trying to interest anyone in multi-function printer/scanners.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Didnt cunt dracula...

... make a guest appearance in Blade3?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Didnt cunt dracula...

Yes, here is a link http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgcUm322BhU

10. willi0000000

late to the party . . . as usual

fun game . . . i used to play it all the time with people with wristwatches . . . wait for them to check the time, wait another 10-15 seconds and ask them if they know what time it is.

usually got a 90% or so hit rate for them looking at their watch, again.

haven't worn a watch (except to make it on time for weddings, etc. of people i like) since i retired . . . don't miss it a bit.

ETA - just checked, old watch still keeping good time . . . last battery was 5-6 years ago, i think . . . cheap Timex electromechanical ($10).

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Batteries in a watch??

Change the battery in a watch?? Join the really old bastards with a clockwork watch (although mine is self-wining).

1. Alien8n
      Alien

Re: Batteries in a watch??

Self wining? Merlot or Chardonnay?

2. Michael Habel

Re: Batteries in a watch??

Great does it bitch at you if your late or something, or you forget to wind it up?

12. MJI Silver badge

Watches - don't like them

Very annoying as they are tight.

But to be honest the most annoying thing I can think of to wear is a suit!

13. Alien8n
    Alien

After many years as an engineer and having to take off pretty much everything every time I went into the clean room I stopped wearing any jewellery. Nowadays it's smart phone and a pocket watch (tells the correct time 3 days out of 7 when I remember to wind it up). It's the polar opposite of when I was younger and into the rocker look (hair half way down my back, denim and more bangles than you can shake an Egyptian at on a Manic Monday).

14. cortland

No steenkin' watches...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETz0elhKvkM

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon