back to article Don't wait for that big iPad, order a NEXUS 9 instead, industry little bird says

Google is planning to steal some of the thunder from Apple's October 16 event by quietly unveiling a new tablet running the next generation of its Android OS the day before, a report claims. Cupertino is widely expected to take wraps off its latest iPad on Thursday – which may or may not be a 12.9-inch "maxi" model that may or …

Silver badge

Rumours about rumours

Journalism at its best!

So

Don't wait a day for that thing you will be able to order but jump the gun and pre-order the thing that isn't available to order. Makes perfect sense!

Silver badge
Pint

Good budget tablet

I don't work for Asus, but anyone looking for a good budget tablet should look at Asus' stuff: quad-core Intel processors, A gig of RAM, and a SD card slot rendering onboard storage mostly irrelevant. The cheaper 7" ones can be had for as little as $99 with KitKat 4.4, if you can forego cellular connectivity and GPS. They seem very well built too and have decent battery life. The only caveat is the speakers aren't that great. I don't know why anyone would spend $$$ for an iPad and have to suffer iTunes, no card slot, no file system access, etc.

Silver badge

Re: Good budget tablet

My wife and I have the Tegra Note 7.

Brilliant bit of kit. OK, not much is "the best", but it does everything I need well. The stylus is really useful, the front speakers do a much better job than most for music, and it cost ITRO £130.

It will never work

Competing with Apple on publicity or trying to steal their launch thunder never works very well, in fact it usually only hurts more because most media eyes aren't waiting for the next big thing from Google or Samsung, so they may release it and they may get a mention, even a fairly big mention, but as soon as Apple do their launch the Google and Samsung stuff is quickly forgotten, even their tablets are usually called iPads by the less technically minded. I often get asked by my wife if she can borrow my iPad, no matter how many times I tell her it's not an iPad.

FAIL

What a disappointment

Okay, so now the Nexus 9 has been launched. The specs do *not* include 3 GB of RAM (it's only 2) nor the rumored MicroSD slot.

I guess the latter is no surprise, given that this is Google, but seriously now—it's basically 2015 and Google is pushing a $400 tablet that has only 16 GB of storage and the RAM allocation of 2012's Nexus 10. WTF?

Checking my Nexus 5 right now, I see I'm currently actively using 1.3 GB RAM out of the 2 GB. I want a Nexus tablet that is more capable than my phone, as I expect it to require more RAM for more on-screen assets. Unfortunately, Samsung's wares are right out as they have an evil policy about voiding the hardware warranty if the bootloader is ever unlocked.

I guess I will just have to keep on lagging, stuttering, and jerking my way around apps on my Nexus 7 until a viable 64-bit Android tablet is shipped.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018