back to article Remember that tale of a fired accountant who blamed Comcast? It's kinda true, says telco

Comcast has publicly apologized to Conal O'Rourke, the accountant who claims he was fired for moaning about the ISP's lousy service. "What happened with Mr O'Rourke's service is completely unacceptable," said Charlie Herrin, Comcast's recently appointed VP of customer experience, in a company blog post. "Despite our attempts …

Page:

1. Identity
    Joke

TYPO

PWC, as I remember, was involved in some shady or negligent accounting scandal a while back, but even so, an accounting firm should be exacting and not allow typos in their public statements. To wit,

Mr O’Rourke was employed in one of our infernal firm services offices. The firm terminated his employment after an infernal investigation concluded that Mr O’Rourke violated PwC’s ethical standards and practices, applicable to all of our people. The firm has explicit policies regarding employee conduct, we train our people in those policies, and we enforce them. Mr O’Rourke’s violation of these policies was the sole reason for his termination.

1. Fatman
      Joke

Re: an accounting firm should be exacting and not allow typos in their public statements.

I see what you did there????

I would do the same thing when I had to write a check to the Infernal Revenue Service.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A different view on the matter...

PwC was right to fire him. They (PwC, KPMG and Deloitte) do all the big audits and cannot afford even a sniff of impropriety. It sounds like this guy attempted to extort preferred service from Comcast by threatening them in some unspecified way. Whether that is what he intended or he was just frustrated, I'm going to presume that the conversation was sufficiently explicit and he was sufficiently low on the totem pole to force the ethics dept to act when the tape was provided to them.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Comcast trying to avoid being held accountable

Comcast just doesn't want another criminal conviction nor to have to pay out millions in damages - as they should.

IME, Comcast is a very unscrupulous company as many other folks have documented and they need to be held accountable for ALL violations of law and abuse of their customers.

Comcast convictions by the U.S. Federal Trade Commission

http://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings/062-3166/comcast-corporation-pennsylvania-corporation-united-states

4. OmgTheyLetMePostInTheUK

Comcast should hire this guy and make him a Senior Vice President of Customer Service. He has obviously been on the bad end of Comcast CS, and would know oh so well, what not to do.

At least at Comcast, it should be easy to make Customer Service better. Its so bad now, how do you go any lower?

What bugs me is that I hear nobody calling for the Comcast CEO to step down, even though in the end, he is the one responsible for the crappy CS. And he seems to be quite proud of his crappy CS too. This is probably due to the fact that most cable companies operate on local government required monopolies, and as such, they are beholden only to their shareholders. Since the customers must take the cable service that is available in their area, anyone living in a Comcast area, must get it from Comcast.

I believe that instead of letting Comcast and Time Warner merge, they should both be broken into smaller companies, and forced to compete with each other all over the country. In fact, all cable companies should have to compete with at least 1 other company in any town over 30,000 people in it, and at least 2 companies in any city over 75,000. These are minimums. Basically, any cable company that wants to offer their services to a town or city, should be able to do so. Some might well fail, but that is how things go in business. Some will succeed, and become wealthy. Some will not. But only by doing this will cable CS get better, prices stop going up, and programming be expanded to keep up with the competition.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Corporate power subverts democracy

Total subversion of the democratic process. What the government can't do to you, corporations can and it's all about money. And yet we have the nerve to go around the world and preach to people about the democracy they need and which we do not have. I don't know where this is all headed, but it cannot be good.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like