back to article Spies, avert eyes! Tim Berners-Lee demands a UK digital bill of rights

The UK needs a digital bill of rights to protect citizens against the government's "indiscriminate online surveillance", world wide web inventor Tim Berners-Lee said on Saturday. The Greatest Living Briton™ was speaking at the Web We Want Festival in London. He lobbied politicos in Blighty to take action in the run up to next …

Silver badge

Inspiringly enough...

Next year - 15 June 2015, to be precise - will be the 800th anniversary of the signing of the original Magna Carta.

Isn't it high time the British mania for meaningless anniversaries was turned to some useful account?

Re: Inspiringly enough...

What's manic about celebrating a steady, solid and major foundation of Western Civilization?

Silver badge
Facepalm

The problem with academics...

.....is they think the World is full of ivory-tower dwellers that will want to do good and live in harmony. Indeed, the original Internet was just like that, with very few safeguards and security. And then we had the phreakers, followed by the skiddies and the criminals, and then the criminals got worse, and now you need 2FA authentication on your hobby email account, let alone the security on your corporate firewall. The Internet ended up being 'policed' (and that 'policing' will only get worse) as a result of the Netizens. Sir Tim and chums need to get out of their idealistic alternate realities and live in the real World for a while.

Silver badge

Re: The problem with academics...

I've lived in some low populated areas, islands etc were petty crime such as theft etc were pretty low. Sort of places where you don't worry to much when you forget to lock your door, or don't have to be super aware about muggings etc.

I have also lived in some pretty rough areas and as such I can see the point of locking your door, and having police officers on the street and being a lot more self aware when walking about.

At no point though would I condone having the police let themselves into mine or other peoples homes and having a riffle without the need for a warrant on the basis of just in case.

Silver badge
FAIL

Re: Triggerfish Re: The problem with academics...

".....At no point though would I condone having the police let themselves into mine or other peoples homes and having a riffle without the need for a warrant on the basis of just in case." Which is completely different to what they are doing.

Silver badge

Re: Matt The problem with academics...

In what way? I mean this is pretty much whats happening with our electronic communications.

Olympic appearance

I imagine he's regretting appearing on the Olympics at this point. Bowie's probably a little more satisfied he didn't wave the flag, if he ever did have any doubts.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017