back to article Surfing the web from Android? We KNEW it – sorry, iOS fanbois

Google's Android has slipped past Apple's iOS to become the top mobile operating system for the first time, in terms of online usage. Figures from Net Marketshare show that devices powered by Android were detected browsing the web more than iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touch devices running iOS throughout July 2014. Net …

Page:

1. Anonymous Bullard
    Trollface

Microsoft Windows Phone 8 operating system managed just 1.87 per cent

Wow, that much? Net Applications has always been known for their skewed stats.

2. Alan Denman

Mobile not Desktop - I dont use mobile !

Using desktop mode because my screen is not a low res device and because Desktop Mode is not banned like Safari I doubt my browsing counts.

Likely Safari iPad counts as mobile too cos on that users have to be thankful for what they get.

1. ThomH Silver badge

Re: Mobile not Desktop - I dont use mobile !

Yes, that's how Net Applications classifies browser users. Users who "have to be thankful for what they get" get counted as mobile.

Also: users who recently lost a shoe get counted as desktop, users who confuse effect and affect get counted as desktop, users who daydream a little too much get counted as mobile.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

uncomfortable

The iPhone is so small and bulky no one has the patience to browse the Web unless they're in a pinch.

4. Breen Whitman

I was surfing the net with Android before it was mainstream.

5. IGnatius T Foobar
    Linux

Android+Linux FTW!

This is called "Linux kicking Microsoft's butt." How do you like your 2% market share, M$?

Apple is also demonstrating that their hope of ever being more than a distant second place died along with Steve Jobs. Let's face it: Apple without Jobs is incapable of delighting users.

VIVA LAS PENGUINISTAS!

1. RyokuMas Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: Android+Linux FTW!

This is called "Linux kicking Microsoft's butt."

Maybe. But I think it's fairer to say that "this is called "Google kicking Microsoft's butt".

Personally, I'd like to see other OSs challenging this - competition drive innovation after all, and especially given how Google is becoming more and more evil, with the capacity to be far worse than Microsoft ever were.

Exactly what those OSs are... well, I'd like to see something come of Sailfish, and Samsung's Tizen experiment, or even a Google free AOSP. But for all the Linux lovers out there who are currently basking in the fact that Android is on the rampage in the markets, just keep in mind who got it there, what they have become and how much worse they can get - and take care not to become the thing you hate.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Android+Linux FTW!

'This is called "Linux kicking Microsoft's butt." How do you like your 2% market share, M$?'

Probably about twice as much as you like your 1% desktop market share, pathetic penguin! :-)

Plus, you ain't getting $15 bucks or whatever for every PC that ships with Windows. Bummer!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019