back to article Facebook goes down, people dial 911

Facebook's servers fell over today – with users on the US east coast, and in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, complaining of outages. Facebook outage map Oh noes! Circles mark areas of connectivity problems ... Click for bigger map. Source: IsItDownRightNow.com According to IsItDownRightNow.com, the downtime appears to …

Anonymous Coward

Re: I dont believe anything facebook says

And there ladies and Gentlemen, the perfect specimin of a Facebook user. Freshly crawled out from the primordial soup presumably only because the site that attracted someone like him (or made him like that) was down.

How he ended up here is anyone's guess though.

OMG

the end is near lol

Facebook what is that oh yea that thing people waste their lives on

just for the opportunity to have FB sell all they know about them to advertisers

they should have just called the NSA to find out why it was down

Tel

I discovered, upon finding Facebook down, that I had to FaceRealLife instead.

The horrors that I saw! Hold me!

Silver badge

Well that explains why the company was so productive today.

Silver badge
Trollface

Damage limitation

"Facebook goes down, people dial 911 "

So, only Americans overreacting then.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Damage limitation

Maybe, maybe not.

Plenty of people NOT living in the US actually think that "911" is their local emergency number.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Damage limitation

They also went to "high school", graduated from "college", think the UK has got a president called "Obama" (actually, perhaps they are closer to the truth than they ought to be) and imagine they live somewhere near or even in an American state such as California or Texas, wear idiot baseball caps and think the nth (5th? not sure) amendment and "right to bear arms" are British. Increasingly they confuse fictional USA with their local reality and geography, modifying speech and ideas to fit, from silliness such as *going to the bathroom" even in a restaurant or the woods to calling the English Channel, *the ocean". I notice that, in Register comments, and sometimes articles, people who purport to be technical (and so needing to be accurate and precise in their work) can not even manage English spelling and grammar.

Bloody sad loss of their own culture and identity to a misunderstood, fictional version. The worst for this are our most prominent politicians who definitely confuse USA interests with our own and encourage a common enemy in the form of more able, neighbouring countries that still have some awareness of their own identity and culture.

So, of course the loss of some asocial web site is an emergency. Actually, get the army on to it to hunt down the saboteurs of our way of life.

Same idiots as

These are the same idiots who NEED to have a label printed on their phone screen "Peel protective cover to see display" on new phones.

Pint

Re: Same idiots as

Unnecessary instructions have been noted before.

"Hold stick near centre of its length. Moisten pointed end in mouth. Insert in tooth space, blunt end next to gum. Use gentle in-out motion."

—The toothpick instructions that annoyed Wonko

(from http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Wonko_the_Sane)

Silver badge
Headmaster

How come if the US East Coast servers were down ....

... it was Californians dialling 911? What's not right, the story or American geography? If the servers covered the whole of American postings does it then just indicate a special level of idiots (IQ < 20) in just one state?

Damn You! You really went and Done it!

Yes you Facebook, you were supposed to stay down, offline, permanently gone! You were not supposed to come back and haunt the world with you perpetual spying and reaping of personal information. When I pulled the Fiber Lines from the router you were supposed to stay disconnected FOREVER!!!!! LOL

Silver badge

My favorite 911 call

My favorite 911 call is the man who insisted the police bring him more beer.

Repeatedly.

You can guess the ending.

Silver badge
Black Helicopters

Downtime?

One assumes the CIA were installing a few patches?

3pm on a Friday? Don't think office productivity would actually have changed much ;)

Anonymous Coward

We are seeing

the fall of the republic

Silver badge
Alien

Apols to Roger Waters

And when they found our shadows

Groups 'round the social media sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data in their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry

No feelings left

This species has amused itself to death

Amused itself to death

Anonymous Coward

I suppose it's not as bad as in the UK where we call up the Police because there isn't enough toppings on our ice cream.

What kind of topping?

Someone call the grammar police!

Its the FBI stupid

Wrong number. They should have been calling the FBI for FaceBook Information

j.p

australia implemented 911 to supplement our local emergency number (000) due to unfortunate US influence on our chitlins.

Re: 911

Solutions:

1. Legalise Logan

2. Close the US

Silver badge

Just remember...

The average person on the street is an idiot. And by definition, half the population is stupider.

but wait...

ok, so it's a stupid story.

but if police forces are using facebook and other social networks as part of their service delivery (which they increasingly are), don't the public have a duty to call them if those services go down?

it might not be an emergency, sure, but it's also a duty for the cops to know when their service (via fb, twitter, wot-not) will be back again. how else will people 'like' them for helping cats out of trees?

Facebook or Facepalm?

Nope Napalm the people who call the law for this kind of stuff, its the only answer!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018