back to article Apple is KILLING OFF BONKING, cries mobe research dude

A new report by Juniper Research makes much less bullish predictions of NFC uptake than we’ve seen before – and the report’s author, Windsor Holden, blames Apple for snuffing out hopes of future pay-by-bonk and such wireless stuff. NFC is a contact-less system that transfers information via radio wave between phones, tablets, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Ivan Headache

Beware of Card-Clash

BoldMan is doing the right thing.

Every day when I'm on the tube now I get multiple warnings about avoiding Card-Clash.

If the touch-and go card readers can't differentiate between an oyster and a Visa then what hope is there?

A couple of nights back I was in Tesco buying some Champagne Magnums (the ice-cream not the bubbly) and the chap in front of me was trying to bonk with a card. After about 4 failed attempts he

stuck the card in the reader and entered his PIN.

1. P. Lee

Re: Beware of Card-Clash

Surely card clash is a solution not a problem.

Keep two cards together and no-one can read them on the sly. Take one out when you want to use it.

2. Timmay

As P Lee said, that's A Good Thing. If you have a load of contactless cards in your wallet, surely you want control over which one the till takes payment from?

Regarding the guy's failed attempt to pay by bonk, quite possibly either he'd spent up to his contactless transaction limit for that day, or maybe it had randomly decided to make him use a PIN. Y'know, like it's designed to do. For security.

3. jonathanb Silver badge

They are currently testing a new system that will allow you to pay for your tube journey by Visa in the same way that you pay by Oyster at present. It is already live on the buses. If the barrier sees two valid cards, it doesn't know which one to take the money from.

2. Chad H.

The whole thing was just a solution searching for a problem. Good riddance I say.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. Sync per Bonk

I had an interesting conversation with the droid at a certain shop today re. NFC.

One possible use would be synchronizing BT headsets with a device without all this tiresome messing about with tiny buttons.

Also would work with smartwatches, all it would need is a simple interface which detects an unsynced device and copies over the code the first time it sees a host device ie. a phone.

Alternate use: NFC equipped memory cards that only unlock if they see the device they were locked to so that not only can you find a dropped/lost card with a hand held scanner but no-one else can read back the protected area with the encryption key.

1. Richard Plinston

Re: Re. Sync per Bonk

> One possible use would be ...

Panasonic use NFC to connect an Android phone to their latest cameras over WiFi so the phone acts as a remote control and/or can send photos directly to a PC or to an internet site (Facebook or a cloud service).

I am also looking at using NFC in a client's warehouse for recording worker and job activities.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I am also looking at using NFC in a client's warehouse for recording worker and job activities."

Have you considered BT4 fobs instead? Sure, they need batteries, but they can work over a distance so they can be used to better pinpoint locations.

2. Matt_payne666

exactly how the nokia phones pair with their Bluetooth speakers......

4. Mage Silver badge

No thanks for NFC

Credit & Debit cards already have NFC, Lidl accepts NFC Debit cards.

But it's an inherently less secure tech than sticking the card in the slot. Almost no advantage.

NFC on a phone is even sillier.

NFC is good for Warehouse pallets. Which it was invented for. Stupid for payments and individual products (barcodes are far cheaper and more privacy secure in the retail context ).

5. Simon Rockman

'sfunny reading all these comments when you go to an NFC conference it's full of people saying that NFC is just what the market wants.

6. Matt_payne666

I like my health...

I like my pay by bonk card... more shops support it, just keep a beady eye out for logo on the terminal... a tap and im done... it saves just moments of typing in a pin, but more importantly it does save me from touching the filthy terminal keypad

tapping my phone? it was one of the features I was hoping for with my new phone... the hardware is there, (Lumina 920) the carrier supported wireless payments (Orange) but the software was only available for about two different handsets...

7. G Murphy

surprising number of people

being extremely conservative about pay-by-wave on here, hardly the tech-adopting folk I'd expect.

I've been using it on my credit card for over a year now, most larger retailers (and small stores thereof) now accept it - all the supermarkets, boots (superdrug I think), m&s and an array of sandwich-shop type chains. I think even McD's is pay-by-wave now. It's massively convenient, almost entirely removes the need for coins and is incredibly quick - quicker than chip and pin and quicker than cash.

I'd love to have it on my nexus 5 but as others have mentioned above, no support. That's not a huge surprise though - the bbc can't be bothered to support the nexus 5 for downloads yet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: surprising number of people

Agree. There seems to be a lot of moaning here by people who have not tried pay-wave. I use it everyday and it's great. Faster than cash or PINs.

Occasionally there is a glitch or PIN-challenge, in which case just enter the PIN as normal.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"the bbc can't be bothered to support the nexus 5 for downloads yet"

Actually they are: the iPlayer app allows this now.

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

being extremely conservative about pay-by-wave on here, hardly the tech-adopting folk I'd expect

Probably because many of us know something about technology, and have some experience with it.

8. Mark2410

no, Google killed it!!!

Right now I'm on my 3rd NFC capable Android phone and I've never used it once. Why? Because says nooooooo you're a dirty not american, f*** you, we hate you and your money so no Google wallet for you!!!

9. Faceless Man

Use it all the time

I use contactless payment with my credit cards all the time. I find it handy to be able to just wave it and go. Of course, it is open to a number of security issues, but most of them are protected against, or overhyped.

On my phone, though? I'd rather have it in the driver's side wing mirror of my car so I can get in and out of carparks on cold mornings without having to open the window.

As for an "analyst" predicting it will take off because of Apple. It's true that Apple can drive technology adoption. We had PCs with USB ports for years before the first iMac came out, but no-one had any USB accessories available. But they have shown absolutely no interest in NFC. They've been using a combination of QR codes (in Passbook) and Bluetooth LE (in iBeacons) to do all those amazing things people said NFC could do, so what's the point?

Basically, I don't expect it to happen, and the people who say it is "definitely going to happen with the iPhone N+1[S] are just extracting the information rectally. This guy is just trying to shift the blame onto Apple for his own incompetence.

10. DerekCurrie
    Thumb Up

Thank You Apple For Recognizing That NFC Is Crap Technology

Oh and thank YOU Bill Gates for encouraging the USA to adopt NFC. You, more than anyone else, may have convinced my country to stay away from NFC.

Now if only my state of New York had also ignored Bill Gates, I wouldn't be stuck with this stupid NFC chip embedded NYS Driver's License/Passport that I have to keep in a Faraday cage 24/7 for fear of some granny 'BONKING' into me and stealing my identity.

11. ipghod

From the states....

I've been using NFC on my phone with google wallet for a few weeks now... local stores finally upgraded and activated their payment stations to support it.

I like that wallet hides my 'real' CC number.

I like I get an email when wallet processes a payment.

I like not having to fumble through my wallet for discount cards and credit cards at the stand. I never realized what a hassle it was until I started using my phone this way.

seems faster than the chip reader

Dislikes:

not turned on in enough places

Trying to decide if I want to leave NFC radio turned off when I'm not actually using it, or if the fact I only put a single payment option, that has extra protection against being defrauded on it is 'good enough'.

which means, in my mind, basic security is going to inhibit the designed goal of dumping all your money into google wallet, where it's actually at risk. Using the tool to keep things separate seems like a better way to take advantage of the convenience, while limiting my exposure. (I also don't keep cash in my wallet, stays in a different pocket. What can I say, I'm big on 'no single point of failure')

12. bpfh
    Paris Hilton

Payment by nfc seems to be going the same way as the QRCode

A niche application with niche uses... Like the QR Code. And like the QR Code, Marketers got severly hot, excited and maybe a little hard when thinking and talking about them, but the general using public targetted looked and said collectively "Meh". Looks to me like NFC is going th same way.

Markers are still looking for the Next Best Thing, talking amongst themselves and at some times, engage in innapropriate group stroking, an end up hoping that some tech will catch on that is easy to monetise somehow, but still can't be bothered to talk to end users what they really want and find out that their expectations are opposed...

Paris, because, well.... bonking...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like