back to article SPB's mountaintop HQ menaced by wolves

It's with one eye on the distant sierra and a shotgun close to hand that I report today that attempts to expel wolves from the Spanish province of Ávila have failed. Despite vociferous and emotive exhortations, mostly from farmers, the Junta de Castilla y León has rejected a call to declare the province a "wolf-free zone", …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: This is a non-problem for the SPB

But what about the loss of pic-a-nic baskets Booboo?

1. Speltier

Have to change armaments

My wife totes a shotgun. Since wolves travel in packs, maybe she needs an automatic weapon now.

She isn't strong enough to carry a chain gun, but if she was strong enough the chain gun should take care of the largest likely to be encountered wolf pack, even in Brussels.

1. PC Paul

Re: Have to change armaments

Wolf packs will require depth charges...

2. Versace
    Facepalm

Doggy do-do

More chance of people being attacked by the guard dogs than by wolves, I reckon

3. It wasnt me

Wow, lucky Spanish cattle.

If you survive the wolves, the matadors will kill you.

1. Mark 85

Re: Wow, lucky Spanish cattle.

I guess you missed the news where it was Bulls - 3 Matadors - 0 ???? They stopped the bullfights because the bulls were winning. A tad bit unfair in my opinion.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wow, lucky Spanish cattle.

Could be worse. In my neck of the woods predators capable of taking down a cow (let alone a bull) are practically non-existent (the occasional mountain lion may visit every few years) so while they don't have to worry about wolves or matadors, they do have to worry about the meat packing plant.

At least against a wolf or matador they have a chance to fight back a bit before they meet their end.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Guess everyone as different wolf experiences.

Spent half a day and a whole night with one guarding my camp while in a wilderness fishing expedition. Walked into camp with it's tail between it's left, head low. Gave it some fish and I had a loyal guard for the entire night.

1. NumptyScrub

Wolves are as dangerous as tigers and lions. Which is to say that all of the surviving ones have learnt that, on the whole, humans are fucking dangerous and best left alone.

You get attacked by the desperate ones (infirm / elderly / ill), the ones that are making a basic living off the land usually give humans a wide berth. Sounds like you got a fairly intelligent one who noticed a potential free dinner in the offing and decided to chance it ;)

It is no coincidence that we domesticated them into Canis lupus familiaris, after all...

5. Dr_N

Wolves or stray/out-of-control dog attacks?

Because there's no EU/gov compensation for dog attacks, so everything is reported as a wolf attack.

(At least in France this is how it gets played.)

Or even better, maybe the hunters are feeding the wolves to grow the numbers to justify culls.

(As the French hunting fraternity does with wild boar, causing massive over population problems leading to drunken free-for-all shotgun culls in public parks.)

1. Roo
      Windows

Re: Wolves or stray/out-of-control dog attacks?

"As the French hunting fraternity does with wild boar, causing massive over population problems leading to drunken free-for-all shotgun culls in public parks."

Sounds like France really needs to ban the consumption of Alcohol to me. Oh hang on, I made the mistake of opening the Mother in law's copy of the Daily Mail today...

I've just had a better idea... How about lock all the folks who hunt while drunk in a field with as much booze, guns and ammo as they can wish for and give them a couple of days to get it out of their system. I'm sure Dick Cheney would love it. What could possibly go wrong ?

6. Buiatra

Wild life...

Hi everybody

Wild boars and deers=car crashes and transmiting diseases to cattle (tuberculosis); vultures eating alive animals because they don´t have dead ones (after BSE regulations), foxes bitting small and weak calves and hens; and now wolves attacking cattle. Wild life is beautiful but our politicians should help people suffering problems that come from these animals.

Lester, let´s have a drink in La Cueva at 20:30

Cheers!

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Wild life...

No puedo salir hoy - otro dia, pero gracias

7. Brian Allan 1

No recorded reports of wolf attacks on humans!

We ranch in an area where wolves, mountain lions and grizzly bears exist. Yes, we have had attacks on livestock and people by bears and mount lions BUT never a human attack by wolves. Wolves are a very smart animal and know when to stay away from the easy pickings.

Humans and wildlife can co-exist!

1. Robert E A Harvey

Re: No recorded reports of wolf attacks on humans!

so? no-one has survived a wolf attack long enough to record it? </pTerry>

8. Allan George Dyer
    Coat

Distraught boyfriend with handkerchief momento?

If he was close enough to respond to the screams, why didn't they eat him too? And no remains? Seriously? Very tidy wolves then. Is it too late to get a forensic pathologist to uncover the jealous murder and burial?

The one with the Silent Witness DVDs in the pocket.

9. J 7

Move all the wolves to Scotland, train them to eat anyone wearing Nationalist badges / rosettes. No need to worry about the independence vote then

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like