back to article Game of Thrones written on brutal medieval word processor and OS

That Game of Thrones author George R R Martin writes his tomes and scripts using WordStar has been common knowledge for a while: he blogged about it back in 2011 . Yesterday the chronicler of the cruel pseudo-medieval Seven Kingdoms popped up on US chat show Conan and explained why. As you'll see in this excerpt from the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. K Cartlidge

Re: If he's into self-flagellation

I'm quite fond of Lyx - the LaTeX word processor - myself. Lovely output, and free.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Windows is coming"

You don't know anything John Snow.... don't confuse the tool and the product !

If you enjoy the story who cares if RR Martin wrote it on a i-pad or chiseled it on a roll of bog paper with a toothpick?

If the "value" of the tool had anything to do with the quality of the writing then all the mont-blanc toting corporate drones and i-pad swinging hipsters would delight us with literary masterpieces....(ahem)

Besides give the guy a break - he predicted the digital revolution in Westeros... "Windows is coming !"

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: "Windows is coming"

Upvote for "Windows is coming". See icon for the result.

2. Tom 38

Well, one of the few complaints about GRRM is that it takes him an inordinate amount of time to write any one of his books. He apparently finds it hard to keep track of all the different stories going on, and is constantly editing and rewriting and moving bits around - I think I read somewhere that a typical writing day for him is 30 minutes new stuff and 8 hours editing.

Normally I'm quite happy to let artists do their artistic thing, but two things worry me about GRRM:

1) He's getting on a bit, and he's not exactly svelte. He takes, on average, 6 years for a book and he's got at least 2 left to write.

2) He's signed away the story of ASOIAF to the GoT crew, including the basics of the next two books. If GoT get to the end of book 5 (as a source; they've stopped following the books except in spirit) before book 6 is released, then spoilers will be in GoT and not ASOIAF.

1. mrjobby

Almost right. When GRRM started ASOIF he was churning out the books at a reasonable rate: 2.5 years 'tixt books 1 and 2, then 1.5 years between books 2 and 3. Then I think his concentration must have wandered a bit, though, as between books 3 and 4 it took him 5 years, then six years to write the last one.

Your points do stand, though. He's certainly no spring chicken, nor particularly athletic. As for the TV series: I nearly stopped watching after S4 E5 because of the fluff they made out of Jon's and Bran's stories. :(

2. JLV

Last book I bought was book #4 and I am sticking to HBO until all the books are done.

I've loved GRRM's books since the mid 80s, starting with Sandkings. But in a way, he's a victim of his own success. Previously, he was a niche author, known and appreciated by a limited audience. I'd guess his biggest success to date had been Fevre Dream.

With GoT he has the well-deserved opportunity to make a lasting name for himself, but every indication is that he is a bit paralyzed by it. Gradually increasing book sizes and dwindling plot advancement. Writing and re-writing chapters endlessly, taking years to complete books. Worrying about continuity excessively (there's a bit somewhere about a fan having pointed out how a character's horse changed color, oh woe). Endless reissues of past material and penning of new, non-GoT, material such as the Jack Vance Dying Earth anthology.

The straw that broke the camel's back was my reading a LiveJournal blog when he stated that he'd read most posts in a 500+ thread before replying.

I hope for the best and I wish him the best, but I am relieved HBO is involved. They've done a stellar job adapting so far and hopefully they can carry out a suitably glorious conclusion if he is not able to.

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

The is a wall of shame at the Large Hadron Collider ...

... where you will find the names of people who did not put 'hadron' in their local dictionaries and send out a document with that word 'corrected'.

3. eJ2095

Ohh so thats 2 people i knw of who use DOS

My next door neighbor still runs dos 3.1 with wordstar for all his docs and still commits the files to floppy disks. (Mind it never BSOD but the parts for the 486 are getting hard to come by)

He does have a xp machine for his internet and emails (Outlook Express)

Bear in mind he is 72

And he also has a Windows 95 Machine doing something (Search me what)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ohh so thats 2 people i knw of who use DOS

Couldn't he run wordstar in dosbox and not have the hassle of using unreliable (and probably hard to come by) floppies?

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Ohh so thats 2 people i knw of who use DOS

You do know that DOS can be installed to a hard drive, right? DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11 work quite well on a machine with a 266-Mhz Pentium-2, 64 MB of RAM and 2x 10 GB hard disks.

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: Ohh so thats 2 people i knw of who use DOS @Crazy

That much!

I think that you will find that DOS 6 will run on anything newer than an 8088 with ~1MB of RAM or even less. Windows 3.1 needs a 80286 as a minimum and at least 1MB IIRC.

And with Wordstar 4.0, such a machine would probably still be faster to use than Word 2013 on an i5 at 2.6GHz!

My vote is to write the text in Emacs using Troff and Memorandum Macros.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Ohh so thats 2 people i knw of who use DOS @Crazy

Yeah, my first DOS machine was a 386, 2 MB of RAM and a 50 MB hard disk.

I just mentioned the P-2 hardware since you can pick up a pallet of them for under a hundred dollars from surplus places and with spare parts being very plentiful, they make a perfect machines for a role like this and you can run them for many years without much of a problem.

I picked up about 20 of the machines and a large box of miscellaneous parts for just over $100 from my local school, I only plan to use 2 or 3, so I can cannibalize the remainder to keep me running for many years to come, something I can't really say about modern systems

4. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Almost, but not quite, entirely unlike DOS and Wordstar

It's possible for a simple Linux installation to provide the required magic of a connected machine, while running joe in a full screen terminal or a simple CTRL-ALT-F2 for the full command line experience. joe uses wordstar commands,* and yes, I admit it's one of the first things I install along with mc to get some work done.

* - When you're on a machine without joe. using something like nano, there's more magic as entire lines can disappear. This is apparently caused by your fingers automatically going CTRL-K, CTRL-X, deleting text for some weird unexplained reason

1. dan1980

Re: Almost, but not quite, entirely unlike DOS and Wordstar

I imagine one of the benefit's of his setup, however, is a machine 100% dedicated to writing - no flicking between windows or sessions, just a (digital) page and pen.

That you can replicate the WP in a full-function machine is perhaps missing at least part of the point.

2. plrndl

If you asked me how to do something is Wordstar, I probably couldn't tell you, but if you sat me in front of a computer, I could probably do it without thinking.

I recall that in the days before standard GUIs, a good bet was "when all else fails, try Wordstar commands".

Memo to self: Must install joe.

1. Vic

If you asked me how to do something is Wordstar, I probably couldn't tell you, but if you sat me in front of a computer, I could probably do it without thinking.

Back in the '80s, I used to do tech support for WordStar, so I had to know it.

Once you've got over the initial pain of working out how dot commands work, it's actually a very good word processor.

Years later, I chose a text editor called QEdit, mostly because it used WordStar commands :-)

Vic.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

WordStar has one (of many) great feature which is that if you can't quite remember the command, then you could press CTRL-K and then pause for half a second or so and it would display the help screen. You could then press the letter for the command ('X', say) and it would then carry on as if you had pressed CTRL-KX in one fluid action.

Does Joe do this? (I couldn't see it in a brief scan of the web)

5. Ken 16 Silver badge

You wouldn't give him a hard time if he was using a typewriter

You'd just assume he was either pretentious or unwilling to learn anything more modern.

1. P. Lee

Re: You wouldn't give him a hard time if he was using a typewriter

Its a serious arrogance and a logical error to assume modern is better than old.

He isn't typesetting, he just needs to record words. He isn't embedding spreadsheets into documents or designing network diagrammes. It's difficult to see what Word 2013 offers that Wordstar can't do.

I suspect vim would also work as well.

If what you have does what you need, there's little point wasting time learning something new.

He might have one of those nice old IBM clickity-clack keyboards too. :)

1. plrndl

"I suspect vim would also work as well."

When I was using VI, I prayed every day for Wordstar. Joe didn't exist at the time, and I didn't know about Fenix, until I started selling it, the following year.

1. DanDanDan

I can't imagine the gains someone could make by adding a good version control system (git) and using a decent text editor (vim, nano, gedit) instead of "track changes" and word 2007/2010.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I went through a phase of writing in plain text in Visual Studio (already installed for development purposes). It was TFS version-controlled, and had one project for the text (folders per chapter, each containing scene text files) whilst another project held a console app that combined the text of the first project into a an EPUB by hitting F5 (also automatically creating a stats html page as a by-product).

Whenever I started a new work, I just added another project for it.

Worked well, until I went Mac.

6. Jason Hindle

I'm guessing his novels/scripts have never been hacked and leaked

That's the beauty of an off net DOS box. As for Wordstar, well why not? I doubt someone who writes novels and scripts cares about what style to use for the next paragraph. Then again, we have a very modern problem. Too many people no longer understand the distinction between content and presentation.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: I'm guessing his novels/scripts have never been hacked and leaked

Got it in one.

And the major culprit? Let me think; a word processor that instead of enforcing a style and requiring that the style be edited to manage the look of a document, allows modification of text on a character by character basis, using invisible controls. I wonder where I can get one of those?

Truly it is said that a word processor does for words what a food processor does for food...

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Reading this I (rather idley) tried to work out how much time I wasted when I was in an office dealing with problems that I and my team met using Word's supposedly intelligent features. [ Let alone the time wasted making a document look amazingly good so that it could be printed and stuck in a file, never again to see the light of day.] I couldn't.

I'd love to use WORD for DOS again, though. To be honest 90% of the time I don't use any features it didn't have.

Basic formatting when I wanted it, and the whole programme fitted on a single floppy, complete with a few files.

The worst time waster since then has always been the mysterious format changes. For no reason that the user can see a block of text will suddenly move 1 tab to the right, or change size or font. Or make strange pagination changes for no apparent reason.

Then there was Word's strange inability to insert a bit of text at the top of a page if it needs to start above a table. Something that has carried on through all the versions I've used.

1. Sandra Greer
          Pint

I'm so glad you said that. What was better in Word Perfect was the reveal codes so you could fix the horrible things the software did to formatting. That is, if you needed formatting at all. The weird stuff Word does to lists and numbering drove me nuts. Plus once you got used to reveal codes, HTML was a piece of cake.

2. dan1980

@Neil Barnes

With the disclaimer that I believe WordStar on DOS is an excellent choice for a writer, I am going to stick up for MS Word.

I use several different programs depending on what I am writing/laying-out but Word is a super handy staple of my day. It's not the quickest, it's not the best for consistency, nor for working with flowing text and anchoring images. BUT, it is very versatile and is great for the miscellaneous every-day tasks that one uses a word-processor for.

And that's the point - it's all about matching the need/use-case (and budget) to the best program. When I need to script, I use an enhanced text editor (my choice is Notepad++), when I need to lay-out a document that will be printed and needs to look professional, I turn to my trusty CS2 version of InDesign, when I need to lay content out in a very structured way without having to worry about indenting and sub-heading formatting, I use a LaTex package.

BUT, when I want throw together some information quickly with 'good enough' formatting and perhaps a few images, then I use Word.

If I need to put together a quick set of instructions for my team, I use Word. If I need to stick a note on the noticeboard or on a box, Word. When I need to take notes while researching something, Word. And so on.

That said, I prefer different versions of Word for different tasks - I find Word 98 (which I use at home) to be better for creating styles and getting a consistent look that I can control. Word 2007 (which I use at work) seems to want to force me into using what it considers appropriate.

Even then, that difference means that I can very quickly knock out something that is formatted acceptably for those times when fine-tuning the styling isn't necessary, which, to be honest, is the vast majority of the time (for me).

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

@Dan1980 - I can't argue. For most of the day to day tasks where the format is not important, Word, in pretty much any of its versions, is fine. I'm ignoring the mess it makes of lists and bullets...

My argument is that a poor decision twenty or thirty years ago landed the world with a word processor that could do too much; the ability to change styles on the characters individually means that people use it like that, and the result is documents with a mish-mash of styles. We've also ended up with other editors that work the same way, because people are familiar with it... there's nothing I like more than spending a week with a thousand page document full of images and tables where every page has a dozen different styles, none in common with the pages preceding or following. For that it's the wrong tool, but people are resistant to using the right tool.

Had MS chosen instead to implement something along the lines of LyX, which *only* allows the style to be changed, but which with a well-written style doesn't need anything else, things might have been different. With Word, most people have not applied the concept of structure to the document; if it looks like a header, it'll do... that makes it tricky to change format, among other things - and there's a semantic difference between a header, and something that looks like a header.

2. DropBear
      FAIL

Too many people no longer understand the distinction between content and presentation.

Perhaps that's because there is no such thing as content perfectly separable from presentation. [1][2]

[1] - http://rhetcomp.gsu.edu/~bgu/8121/TCQ-CMS(Clark).pdf

[2] - http://www.johndcook.com/blog/2011/11/14/separating-presentation-from-content/

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

But there is such a thing as "style over content".

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Perhaps that's because there is no such thing as content perfectly separable from presentation

Zounds! A groundbreaking discovery - good thing you used boldface there. And when concerns can't be "perfectly" separated, we shouldn't try to separate them at all, eh?

As Clark points out, the rhetorical force of presentation has pretty much always been a concern for rhetoric; certainly it goes back to Aristotelian rhetoric, as anyone with a passing familiarity with the Aristotelian canons knows, and other ancient rhetorics similarly pay attention to the subject.1 But the great majority of rhetoricians have also recognized content and presentation as functionally separable for most purposes, even if interdependent. Clark himself notes in his introduction: "I am not, after all, convinced that attempts to separate content from presentation are

wrong" [emphasis in original].

Similarly, Cook writes: "presentation and content cannot be entirely separated" [emphasis in original] and "The principle of separating presentation and content is admirable". Of course Cook is a mathematician; he doesn't work in rhetoric or a cognate field,2 and hasn't done the kind of research that Clark has, so his opinion is largely anecdote and he's not concerned with making any sophisticated argument on the subject in that post.

1See for example the discussion of use of rules in Hoskisson & Boswell, "Neo-Assyrian Rhetoric".

2Me? I have an MA in Rhetoric, as well as degrees in CS and English. I've presented at academic conferences on visual rhetoric, and specifically on the rhetorical force of presentation elements in political web pages. My wife's a major rhetoric scholar, as are several of my friends. So I have spent a little time studying the subject.

7. keithpeter Silver badge
    Windows

protestant and catholic (dos and mac)

http://www.themodernword.com/eco/eco_mac_vs_pc.html

Umberto Eco was writing this article around the Dos/Wordstar era.

His novel Foucault's Pendulum has a plot that involves computers and some cryptography (from memory). All DOS. The REPL may need explaining to younger readers.

In William Gibson's Pattern Recognition set in the near future, the cool people are using 'vintage' computers. High prices for Cubes and older laptops, sold by shady dealers in physical markets (he got that one wrong). Computers are reaching the computing power thresholds needed for most tasks, and the market is hitting saturation, replacement only. One hopes for computers designed to last a decade or so.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: protestant and catholic (dos and mac)

"dealers in physical markets (he got that one wrong)"

Did he? iirc the vintage computers tend to be used for nefarious purposes, or have been, so there is an element of shady about them.

I suspect if I was looking for something shady, I'd end up meeting in person to get it, people dealing drugs and guns didn't get tracked when silkroad went down.

Anon for obvious reasons.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

"dealers in physical markets (he got that one wrong)"

Computer fairs.

One hears tales of these sinister places.

2. DropBear

Well, there's one more thing Gibson got wrong, sadly - where can I buy my Sandbenders PC, dammit?!?

3. TRT Silver badge

Only one question is important nowadays. Does it play King Candy Fruit Pet Farm Saga Crush?

4. Dave 126 Silver badge

That Umberto Eco piece is excellent! An excerpt, the bold emphasis is mine:

Friends, Italians, countrymen, I ask that a Committee for Public Health be set up, whose task would be to censor (by violent means, if necessary) discussion of the following topics in the Italian press. Each censored topic is followed by an alternative in brackets which is just as futile, but rich with the potential for polemic. Whether Joyce is boring (whether reading Thomas Mann gives one erections). Whether Heidegger is responsible for the crisis of the Left (whether Ariosto provoked the revocation of the Edict of Nantes). Whether semiotics has blurred the difference between Walt Disney and Dante (whether De Agostini does the right thing in putting Vimercate and the Sahara in the same atlas). Whether Italy boycotted quantum physics (whether France plots against the subjunctive). Whether new technologies kill books and cinemas (whether zeppelins made bicycles redundant). Whether computers kill inspiration (whether fountain pens are Protestant)...

....I asked above whether fountain pens were Protestant. Insufficient consideration has been given to the new underground religious war which is modifying the modern world. It's an old idea of mine, but I find that whenever I tell people about it they immediately agree with me.

The fact is that the world is divided between users of the Macintosh computer and users of MS-DOS compatible computers. I am firmly of the opinion that the Macintosh is Catholic and that DOS is Protestant. Indeed, the Macintosh is counter-reformist and has been influenced by the ratio studiorum of the Jesuits.

5. Peter Gathercole Silver badge
      Joke

Re: protestant and catholic (dos and mac) @keithpeter

"computers designed to last a decade".

No, Microsoft will ensure that the OS is obsolete, unsupported and vulnerable to malware before 10 years is up, and what they replace the OS with will be guaranteed not to work on older systems.

Joke? Maybe not!

8. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Content over looks

I can empathise with George Martin. Word processors can be distracting with all their bells and whistles to make your prose pretty (Or trying to make you write in a style that they think is correct)

I tend to do my main writing (not that I'm an author!) on a simple text editor. Once I have the content, I'll then copy and paste it into, say, LibreOffice, to put a few small bits of formatting on.

9. AndrueC Silver badge
    Thumb Up

If he's using the Wordstar command keys that could make him more productive as well. Especially if he's got a keyboard with a control key in the original place. It all means you can work without ever moving your fingers far from the home keys.

I still miss Ctrl+T and on occasion Ctrl+Q,Y

1. fedoraman

Control key in the original place - you mean where Caps Lock is now?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Pint

maybe

I was going to ask the same question.

Besides, who needs caps lock? Don't all of you JUST HOLD DOWN THE SHIFT KEY AND TYPE WITH YOUR OTHER NINE FINGERS? That's what I do.

2. AndrueC Silver badge
        Thumb Up

you mean where Caps Lock is now?

Yah. The WS command keys make more sense when you realise that you weren't supposed to have to contort your hand to keep the little finger down on the bottom left of the keyboard.

I used to have a TSR that swapped them for me. Gawd, that's going back a bit. A bit a of Ctrl+Q, R in fact :D

T

S

R

I bet half the programmers these days don't even know what that stands for. Lucky buggers :D

2. stucs201

re: without ever moving your fingers far from the home keys

Well that depends.

Is he a purist using the 'diamond' to navigate? Or does he use the cursor keys, page up/down, etc?

10. RAMChYLD

Not worried about viruses?

I've watched the video and he says he's not worried about viruses because he uses DOS?

Surely he jest? I've bad memories of Denzuko, AirCop and AntiCMOS (the last one was even introduced by a copy of WordStar my mom brought home from work! those were the days where stuff is saved on those black, filmsy 5.25" floppies with an effective storage area of 360kb).

Even today, the legacy PC I built just to run old DOS games is set to fire up Central Point's, sorry, M$'s, AntiVirus TSR from autoexec.bat before running anything else.

1. stanimir

Re: Not worried about viruses?

The DOS box is unconnected - hence it requires to execute some .exe .com from a floppy. I seriously doubt he'd get some game on floppies to play.

Technically you can even boot from a write protected floppy disk each time if you are afraid of command.com being infected.

1. plrndl

"Technically you can even boot from a write protected floppy disk"

If I remember correctly, you cannot boot DOS (or Windows) from a write-protected disk, as the OS needs to write to the boot medium as part of the boot process.

1. stanimir

>>If I remember correctly, you cannot boot DOS (or Windows) from a write-protected disk<<

You don't. That was how it was done (booting from write protected floppy). DOS doesn't write anywhere unless you have some fancy autoexec.bat... or a virus.

There were urban myths that some viruses can infect even write protected floppies but if the hardware was fine it was not possible.

1. Roo
            Windows

"There were urban myths that some viruses can infect even write protected floppies but if the hardware was fine it was not possible."

That would be the case with some of the old-school industrial washing machine size drives where you had a physical switch that actually broke the write/erase head circuit(s). Unfortunately write protect is implemented via software more often than I'd like these days*...

* = Once is too often.

2. Vic

If I remember correctly, you cannot boot DOS (or Windows) from a write-protected disk, as the OS needs to write to the boot medium as part of the boot process.

You can boot from a write--protected disk.

You couldn't *install* Windows unless disk 1 was write-enabled, as that's how it made sure you only installed each copy once. Unless you copied disk 1 first and used that one, of course...

Vic.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.