back to article Mozilla axes HATED Firefox-ad-tab plan ... but will try again

Mozilla has scrapped its plan to show in-browser adverts to new users of Firefox. Back in February, Moz talked up “Directory Tiles” that “suggest pre-packaged content for first-time users” of the open-source web browser. Some of the suggestions would be paid-for – ads in other words. The organisation now says the idea “didn’t …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

MJI
Silver badge

Re: FF at home has gone nearly unuusable

Thanks will try tonight, just been round at work disabling dwongrades on the Firefox using PCs.

I am on 28.0 at work and it works!

Anonymous Coward

Huh? The back button is on the left, always has been (currently running FF 29 on multiple OSs)

Pale Moon is worth a shout. Basically a heavily tweaked Firefox. It's compatible with FF extensions and removes some of Mozilla's annoyances (Australis theme being one of them).

Pale Moon is worth a shout. Basically a heavily tweaked Firefox. It's compatible with FF extensions and removes some of Mozilla's annoyances (Australis theme being one of them).

To be fair isn't Pale Moon not, based on Firefox 24ESR? I don't leave the default appearance alone long enough to tell if its the new-ish 4.x style or the newer Australis sh--. Before giving it the v3.0 makeover. Basically this is all what Pale Moon has already done for you. I'm not gonna knock it for that. But, lets not try, and sell this as a replacement for Firefox 24ESR proper. 'Cause its not, and once support for 24ESR ends. So to does Pale Moons.

And, that's when the Splunkie's gonna hit the Fan. The writing is on the Wall for Mozilla Firefox. But, yet there just isn't any real alternative coming outta the Free Open Source Software Community on this.

Sure things are mostly ok now... What about say a year from now? Is the World gonna do a 180° on Windows (H)8, and Australis, and suddenly "see the light, and wisdom" of it? Yeahhh... I kinda doubt that....

Mozilla/Firefox have well and truly jumped the shark. They lost the plot some time ago and their recent behaviour in response to some noisy agitation from the gay rights lobby did nothing to persuade me to shift back to FF and this nonsense doesn't help either. I'll stick to Chromium thanks,

This is what happens when you do the holier than thou thing over and over. First it was the homophobic/loser CEO who had to go, and now its Mozilla thinking it can force MORE ads on us through the very browser we use to see less of them.

Silver badge

>>This is what happens when you do the holier than thou thing over and over. First it was the homophobic/loser CEO who had to go, and now its Mozilla thinking it can force MORE ads on us through the very browser we use to see less of them.

I'm not quite clear on how inserting ads is an escalation of ousting their previous CEO over contributions to an anti-gay marriage campaign.

First stage: Identify homophobia in upper echelons.

Second stage: Insert ads.

What process, exactly, are those logical stages of?

Coat

Third stage: ???

Fourth Stage: PROFIT!!!

Anonymous Coward

I wish they'd fix the bloat

FF kills other apps on Android (including keyboard!) and crashes on a regular basis. I want to use FF instead of Chrome (as I trust Moz a tiny bit more that I trust Goog) but FF just doesn't cut it.

And no, I do not have add-ons installed.

Anonymous Coward

I used to like Firefox, but over the last 10 years or so, every update has made it worse.

I still can't get used to that stupid downloads button.

over the last 10 years or so

Anonymous Coward, so for you, Firefox peaked in June 2004 with version 0.9, and it’s all been downhill since then?

JDX
Gold badge

Free software in "trying to make money" shocker

Mozilla is a company who wants to make money, not some charitable foundation trying to make the world a better place. Only an open-source browser not driven by a commercial entity can be free from commercial considerations.

Silver badge

Re: Free software in "trying to make money" shocker

Mozilla is a company who wants to make money, not some charitable foundation trying to make the world a better place.

Mozilla is a confusing beast, though. The Mozilla Foundation is a not-for-profit body (which just may be trying to make the world a better place) but its subsidiary the Mozilla Corporation is a company that wants to make money. The two are different parts of the strange Jekyll-and-Hyde creature that has emerged from the ashes of Netscape -- their aims and ideals may not be the same

What "just who we are at Mozilla" doesn't tell us is whether Mr. Nightingale works for the Foundation or the Corporation.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Free software in "trying to make money" shocker

"Mozilla is a confusing beast, though. The Mozilla Foundation is a not-for-profit body (which just may be trying to make the world a better place) but its subsidiary the Mozilla Corporation is a company that wants to make money. The two are different parts of the strange Jekyll-and-Hyde creature that has emerged from the ashes of Netscape -- their aims and ideals may not be the same"

The very same can be said of the raspberry pi foundation with the charity having its subsidiary trading arm. That arrangement is far more opaque than it should be.

sob

OK, so I liked firefox. But they just introduced Australis which bust my user experience. The 'classic theme restore' isn't so bad, partly because I'm not totally against the curved tab markers.

But it broke at least one of the extensions I use, badly. I'm not an extension writer, so I can't tell how good/bad the code is, but it's worked more or less unchanged for ages.

So I went to palemoon which is more or less firefox without the UI changes for Australis, and everything works fine.

So why did they do this? Not to mention that the version number system is so broken resulting in everyone putting insane version ranges in their addons, and it makes the whole boiling thing useless.

Thumb Up

Re: sob

"So I went to palemoon which is more or less firefox without the UI changes for Australis, and everything works fine."

I'd recommend Pale Moon to any Firefox user who is fed up with it. Pale Moon totally disagrees with the UI changes that Firefox have made, and it also doesn't have a manic release cycle which breaks add-ons.

I'd wish they'd learn to re-code their Firefox v3.0 for >2014 again. I also find it amusing that the current release of Firefox... Um version 29 IIRC, also breaks Forcastfox AGAIN!! Forcastfox, was probably the first major Plugin I used on Firefox. Well that and ABP anyway.

But, hay lets not stand in the way of a better tomorrow. Just because something used to work, and work very well mind. Now suddenly doesn't anymore. The wost thing about all this, is that the so-called "Alternatives", just happen to all use the latest Mozilla Code.

Methinks its time for a new player to step up into this Game. Mozilla have now clearly lost the Thread!

SeaMonkey?

When this story first broke some months ago, I followed the recommendation of several commenters here and switched to SeaMonkey, and didn't look back.

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/start/

Firefox is dead to me

Firefox with its insane politically correct ousting of its CEO is no longer on any device I or my company own. Until they reverse themselves and the board members and/or developers involved apologize they will not be back on any device I have any say or influence over.

h3

Seamonkey

I am going to switch everybody I know to Seamonkey I think. (That will work at least until they decide to merge gecko into Firefox like seems to be the fashionable thing to do).

Unhappy

"...where we don’t yet have any recommendations to make from your history"

So they want to join Google in the stalking business now. This would remove their last selling (sorry, giving away) point vs Chrome. New business model: we look like Chrome (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/29/firefox_29_redesign/), we act like Chrome, and we are nearly as good as Chrome. Good luck.

The worrying bit, if the allusions in the article are to be believed, is that this is borne out of financial desperation rather than opportunistic greed. Is there a good, FOSS, light-weight (as Firefox was meant to be, long ago) browser left? Don't say Chromium; their scraps are as poisoned as the real thing, offered to smother the competition, only to be withdrawn when no longer needed. See iGoogle, Sketchup, and numerous other services Google suffocated under its wings.

Re: "...where we don’t yet have any recommendations to make from your history"

You want an alternative ?

Try NetSurf, currently V3.1, with nightly builds for those who like living on the edge.

No, it doesn't do everything the major browsers do, but if you can code in C, the devs will be happy to talk to you.

http://www.netsurf-browser.org/

Anonymous Coward

Oh ****

Well I had written a rather lengthy comment but then FF crashed before I hit submit. The Register doesn't retain a copy even if you've hit preview so you'll have to do without my pearls of wisdom apart from a brief summary:

If you don't like FF, still around 50% of users are on MSIE it must be good (though my experience differs!) why not go with the crowd...? Many years ago I BOUGHT my copy of Netscape, that was before MS wrecked the business model by providing MSIE free. If FF cost 50 dollars I'd pay up rather than be forced to use MSIE (yes I've tried the various other choices but I still prefer FF, yes, even FF29).

If you do like FF then contribute effort or cash otherwise it may die (eventually) provide feedback at mozilla.org and maybe even influence change, grumbling in public here won't do any good.

Some changes are for the better, some for the worse. Often changes are for the better but the initial user perception is that they are for the worse because they involve forgetting the old way to do something and learning the new. If changes really do turn out to be for the worse they'll probably be improved or removed in a later version.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017