back to article Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer – advice from US, UK, EU

Microsoft has warned of a new security flaw in all versions of its Internet Explorer web browser for Windows PCs. A patch has yet to be released for the crocked code. Vulnerability CVE-2014-1776, to give the problem its formal name, allows miscreants to hijack at-risk Windows computers. It's all due to “the way Internet …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
        1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Just like water, Microsoft has no taste!"

That's never been a handicap for the meat in MacDonald's burgers...taste it by itself one day if you never have! Cardboard in a bun....

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

You're eating it wrong. You're supposed to eat the outer parts with the print on.

That thing inside is just to stop it blowing away.

1. Old Handle

Heartbleed was unusual because it was so stealthy. This is a more common memory execution bug. It's harder to use, especially without being noticed, but potentially more devastating since it could let an attacker take full control.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It was unusual also for being a very simple coding error, something that all those eyes that look at open source software should have spotted?

I think there's complacency in the open source community thinking others will test or fix their code for them. It's why Linus is always ranting at Linux developers who check-in half-arsed code.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Both are out of memory area bugs.

Heartbleed wasn't an "out of memory area" bug.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"Heartbleed wasn't an "out of memory area" bug."

Indeed not. It *should* have been, but they were using an allocator that turned it into a "in memory area" bug.

Then again, for all we know, this latest IE bug might be similar.

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

What's the difference between this and heartbleed?

Both are out of memory area bugs.

What's the difference between a heart attack and cancer? Both can kill you.

When you use a sufficiently broad generalization, there isn't any difference. That's how generalizing works.

A use-after-free bug is rather different from a simple buffer overrun, in terms of cause and control flow. In the particular case of Heartbleed the effect was similar to a read-only use-after-free, due to OpenSSL's suballocator, but that's not normally the case with a buffer overrun. And this IE error apparently has malicious code execution potential, which Heartbleed definitely does not.

So quite a lot, actually.

1. Robert E A Harvey

Cleverness

it seems to me that any badhat capable of discovering and exploiting this is sufficiently clever to have a proper job. Meaning that the blackhats who do exploit it are likey to work for theybuggerm in the government.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Cleverness

"it seems to me that any badhat capable of discovering and exploiting this is sufficiently clever to have a proper job."

Or is being paid very well by other blackhats.

2. Gray
    Angel

Mitigated Experience

Ahhh, yes ... the legendary "Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit"

1. Wiped WinXP from the wife's old brick; that killed IE 8 (and lingering traces of IE 6 & 7)

2. Attempted install of Win IE 8 on new OS

3. Synaptic refused IE 8: "Unrecognized Fault"

4. Attempted "Enhanced Mitigation Experience" via BASH

5. Brick flamed. Wife flamed. Mitigation Experience concluded.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's OK for me!

Never used IE in the last 14 years, except of course for Windows Update.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's OK for me!

"Never used IE in the last 14 years"

It's by far the fastest browser these days. It's come a long way since then.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Trollface

Now now, Trevor, don't go overboard.

2. John Tserkezis

"It's by far the fastest browser these days. It's come a long way since then."

Agreed. It takes up absolute zero CPU cycles here.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
          Pint

Nice one!

Have one of these, as well as an upvote :)

2. M132

Because it eats GPU, not CPU

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"It's by far the fastest browser these days"

Oh yes, I used it to download Chrome very quickly!

4. silent_count
    Happy

Luckily for me

"Internet Explorer 6 through 11 are all vulnerable"

See! And people look at me strangely when I tell them that I use IE 1 because it's more secure.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: Luckily for me

It also aids productivity because it ensures (*) that you concentrate on one thing at a time rather than continually flit like a geriatric lunatic between different tabs and downloads.

* as in, it could only do one thing at a time itself, therefore that is how you had to operate. No downloading in the background, no seeing the page until it was loaded, no tabs (don't remember an "open in new window feature" either)... and no .png support, no scripting... errr... I'll just load up lynx thanks. Did it even support marquee and flashing text?

5. Tank boy
    Facepalm

Good article.

When I bought my new laptop I used IE once. To download Chrome. The nice part is that they are 'fessing up to the problem rather than just playing it off.

6. Nuno trancoso

So, just as XP is declared "unsafe", the first chicken that comes home to roost is a IE flaw that hits across all the OS's. Nice thing then that M$ is showing us how much safer we would be with their new supported OS rather than their old unsupported OS as they probably won't be issuing a fix for IE versions that still work on their old unsupported OS.

Then again, we could just dump IE, fixes a lot of exploits, current and future, as it goes out the door ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Then again, we could just dump IE"

To use what? Chrome has far more vulnerabilities and far more often for instance than IE.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Chrome has far more vulnerabilities and far more often for instance than IE.

Ssssssh - don't upset the people who still think that Google does no evil.

7. Lostintranslation

1995 - that's when Internet Explorer first came out. And after nearly 20 years they STILL can't get it right?

Just how many bugs in that software have I had to expend time on squashing since then? Is it many hundreds or many thousands?

How many man-hours globally have been lost to updating this pile of crap?

Will I still be required to update it in 2035?

1. king of foo

That'll be the least of your worries. You'll have less than 3 years to prevent planes from dropping out of the sky, ATM's from spitting cash into the street and tinterwebs from becoming self aware...

1. James O'Shea

Re: 2038

"planes from dropping out of the sky"

Ah! so _that's_ what happened to MH370! They set their clocks wrong!

"ATM's from spitting cash into the street"

This would be a problem only for those who didn't have the foresight to bring along a bucket.

"and tinterwebs from becoming self aware"

It couldn't possibly do worse than the current infestations in Congress and Parliament.

2. Nick Ryan Silver badge

This seems to be yet another problem with the ghastly security hell-in-a-box that is everything ActiveX, with maybe a bit of Microsoft's not-javascript, IE only scripting thrown in for good measure. Disable both (permanently and for all profiles and security levels), and you shouldn't suffer from this. However Microsoft are unlikely to issue a notice describing that as a workaround.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Just how many bugs in that software have I had to expend time on squashing since then? Is it many hundreds or many thousands?

How many man-hours globally have been lost to updating this pile of crap?"

Actually open Source Software is generally worse for security vulnerability counts and big holes - just look at that Open SSL major screw up. And IEs closest rivals generally have lots more holes and require more patches (especially Chrome)

8. Potemkine Silver badge

In MS universe, is 'Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit' codename for Firefox or Chrome?

1. CDK

Having a Microsoft Weekend. And it's Monday.

Wish I were there!

9. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Active X is the root of all evil

At least if I read this correctly and the only way the exploit can work across all versions. Unbelievable really that, despite all the good work put into developing IE 9 and beyond, Microsoft has still left the abscess that is Active X essentially untouched. A bit like how they've resurrected the Silverlight walled garden as Metroland.

They really ought to be sued for not taking Active X out back and replacing it with a proper sandbox system.

1. Mike Pellatt

Re: Active X is the root of all evil

They really ought to be sued for not taking Active X out back and replacing it with a proper sandbox system.

No. They really ought to sued for ignoring everyone with the slightest bit of ITSEC understanding who told them long and loud that ActiveX Was A Really Bad Idea. Their feeble, pathetic response was "it's what our users want". I don't think their users really wanted their machines pwned. Perhaps they asked their users the wrong question.

The history of ActiveX ever since it escaped has been trying to fix all the holes that everyone told them it would have.

10. Major Ebaneezer Wanktrollop

Stop slagging them off. They brought us tiles FFS. And that seamless, streamlined customer experience across all Windows platforms that we all enjoy and love. That Xbox Live tile on my business workstation is a Godsend.

Yeah, how stupid do ya feel now huh MS haters?

1. Michael Habel

Stop slagging them off. They brought us tiles FFS. And that seamless, streamlined customer experience across all Windows platforms that we all enjoy and love. That Xbox Live tile on my business workstation is a Godsend.

Yeah, how stupid do ya feel now huh MS haters?

Obvious sarcasm is obvious Here have an up vote for your effort!

11. MJI Silver badge

So is XP OK?

According to the list of OSes it is not affected.

Anyway I use Firefox

1. Valeyard

Re: So is XP OK?

Firefov?

you are thinking in Russian, yes?

1. MJI Silver badge

Well X and V are a bit near each other

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Firefov is a vork. Sorry, fork. :)

2. Michael Habel

Why did I read that as X(P) and V(ista), are a bit near each other?

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge

... and I thought I had fat fingers!

2. El Andy

XP is mentioned because it's no longer supported, same reason it doesn't mention whether Windows 2000 is vulnerable. It's a reasonably safe bet however, given that Server 2003 is vulnerable, that XP is also vulnerable.

12. Hans 1

>Internet Explorer 6 through 11 are all vulnerable, on all versions of Windows from Vista to 8 and Windows Server 2003 to 2012 R2.

Did not know ie6 ran on Vista, I guess ie 5 and 5.5 are also affected ... lets see if my ie5/Solaris/SPARC is affected.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

I assume IE6 runs on Server 2003.

Remember, just because the consumer/cheap version of the OS has gone out of support doesn't mean that MS aren't still publishing exploits (er, patches) for the identical-codebase-but-more-expensive server version.

In fact, one way to get around XP's demise would be to find (if you can) someone who would sell you a licence for Server 2003. That, of course, would set you back a few hundred, but the possibility means that MS can't charge more than "a few hundred" for ever-extended support for XP.

1. MJI Silver badge

I will watch for patches on our server

Then copy them in!

13. FSM

C'mon M$

Run it through Valgrind!

14. Your alien overlord - fear me
    Paris Hilton

What about Lynx

The text, the whole text and nothing but the text.

(Paris because she could do with being on the internet more, especially if it became more graphic!!!)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What about Lynx

how is your stink spray going to help?

15. Lord Lien
    Boffin

A bug in IE that could potentially...

... let some one take control of your machine. History repeating? See you in the comments section about this time next year for the next one.

16. Joseph Haig

What?

XP support has ended? Why wasn't there any warning???

17. Hi Wreck
    FAIL

The upside...

Windows servers default settings make...

I'm still howling with laughter over that one. As if anyone who could create an exploit would be stopped. Who comes up with this anyway? Get him or her a Pulitzer.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like