back to article Reg probe bombshell: How we HACKED mobile voicemail without a PIN

Voicemail inboxes on two UK mobile networks are wide open to being hacked. An investigation by The Register has found that even after Lord Leveson's press ethics inquiry, which delved into the practice of phone hacking, some telcos are not implementing even the most basic level of security. Your humble correspondent has just …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Preston Crow

Google Voice Lite

At least in the US, you don't have to use the voice mail provided by your carrier. I've set mine to use Google Voice Lite (essentially just the voice mail part of Google Voice). This gives me free speech-to-text, which Verizon decided to charge extra for. It also means that it's protected by my Google password (which my phone app has saved, so I'm out of luck if I lose my phone). Good luck hacking it without guessing my password.

Unfortunately, Google Voice is only available in the USA right now, so you need to find some similar service elsewhere. (I hope they'll expand it, but they seem to be instead cutting it back and integrating it with Hangouts, much to the dismay of those who use an adapter to get free home phone service through them.)

2. Andy Hards

My voicemail

If anyone wants to hear Flo down the road grumbling that she wants me to get her a pint of milk then they are welcome to that. The only other voicemail I get is from my missus asking where the fuh I am. The Sunday Sun are welcome to it too

3. Timo

VM PIN vs CLI

The idea of using the incoming IMEI and/or billing number ID will be hard to do. Yes those numbers are presented to the mobile operator network, but into a much different part of the network (billing system vs. call processing), and at a much different stage of the call setup. CLI may be handled in real-time, while billing records are not exactly handled in real-time.

The network has to allow you to dial in from remotely for the cases when you are roaming and your call to yourself would come in from outside the operator. This seems to be a convention the GSM-based carriers have arranged, as others have stated there are many networks where PIN is mandatory for every access.

About the only solution that I could see happening quickly is that if you are authenticated on the network (like home network, or home operator) that you could get straight into your voicemail. The other cases where the call comes from outside the network, would require a PIN for voicemail access. (Conceptuallly very similar to port tagging on the inbound trunks.) This will create lots of fun and confusion for all of the people (me included) who set a VM PIN years ago, but then find they can't get into their voicemail from the road the first time after this is enabled.

1. georgied

Re: VM PIN vs CLI

The quick fix is to always require a PIN.

In the longer term, EAP-SIM is the way to go. Authentication is tied to the sim card, so will allow device swapping and should be significantly harder to spoof.

It's already being extensively developed as a means to auto authenticate to wifi hot spots, to try and offload data from the mobile networks.

4. DropBear

Well, my voicemail is certainly unhackable - I don't have one. I immediately turned it off (as basically does everyone else I know) simply because leaving it on is widely considered extremely bad form around here since it costs a caller money once the voicemail picks up, even though the call was practically a bust. We don't really see any point in leaving a message if the called party is not reachable; by the time he/she gets it, the point will likely be moot. If not, the missed call indication is generally enough and therefore a call-back is expected anyway.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Some telcos won't let you disable voicemail

Telcos get paid for terminating calls - and voicemail counts as termination. If you're a minnow there's a strong incentive to keep the termination rates high (and some wnd up being bullied into high termination percentages by the incumbents or face penalties)

One of the more inequitable parts of interconnect agreements is when the incumbent forces the newcomer to pay wildy high rates whilst refusing to pay for calls into the newcomer. This has happened in a lot of countries.

1. Terry Barnes

Re: Some telcos won't let you disable voicemail

"Telcos get paid for terminating calls - and voicemail counts as termination. If you're a minnow there's a strong incentive to keep the termination rates high (and some wnd up being bullied into high termination percentages by the incumbents or face penalties)"

But, but, but... They don't get paid for terminating calls generated on their own network by their own subscribers and carried across their own network.

5. Trollslayer

Phew

Glad I'm on Vodafone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Phew

Enjoy your overpriced bills

6. petef

Here's Bruce Schneier in 2006:

"It's also easy to break into a cell phone voice mailbox using spoofing, because many systems are set to automatically grant entry to calls from the owner of the account. Stopping that requires setting a PIN code or password for the mailbox."

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/03/caller_id_spoof.html

7. Joe 3

Kafkaesque nonsense from Three and EE

So you presented evidence to them that it's possible to access other people's voicemail without a PIN...

...and their reply is "we tell customers to set up a PIN."

Have they even understood what you've just told them? Or is it a case of heads-in-the-sand?

1. Terry Barnes

Re: Kafkaesque nonsense from Three and EE

No, you're misunderstanding. It's possible to set up the account so that a PIN is required in every case, even from your own phone. That's what they're advising.

8. Feival

Switch to Hullomail

I use Hullomail. Secure and effective. I am a customer and not an employee before anyone asks! The beauty is it pushes the messages to your phone using a data connection and if you pay £6 a year it forwards them to your email. If you do choose to dial in you must provide a PIN.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Switch to Hullomail

+1 for Hullomail or any other visual voicemail provider. So far as I know, the only network it doesn't work with is Virgin Mobile - they do not allow the call forwarding required.

Visual voicemail is actually usable, unlike regular voice mail.

9. Chad H.

How do those conversations with the mobile network go?

Is it something like this:

El Reg: Hey PhoneCoPR we found a security hole in your voicemail system that lets us listen to anyones voicemail even if they set a pin

Phoneco: Oh, its you from that techynerd site. Well, our custoemrs are safe as long as they set a pin

El Reg: Thats the thing, we can do it without a pin

Phoneco: so they should set a pin

El Reg: Did you want to give a staetment that actually makes you look inteligent?

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: How do those conversations with the mobile network go?

I'm sure that's Three.

2. Terry Barnes

Re: How do those conversations with the mobile network go?

You misread it. The networks are telling you to change the account settings to require a PIN when you call in from your own phone. That appears to be off by default.

10. Mage Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Not surprised

Many companies will not even interview older experienced people. Too much is outsourced or implemented by inexperienced fresh graduates or work experience or people qualified in a different field.

I'd have been especially surprised if Three had it right. They only know how to Sell and Market.

Where are the regulators? Soft touch?

If a network isn't doing their engineering responsibly they should lose their licence. The consumer is lucky if the Regulators even slap a wrist lightly.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The level of ignorance...

...in the Telcos of their own systems is astounding. I think it has a lot of to with the global game of chasing down salaries and outsourcing of their most competent techs....

12. JaitcH
    Meh

It's comforting to know that IMEI is used ...

by GCHQ and NSA to verify handsets. That's no doubt the reason why the law in the UK is stiff on changing it whilst elsewhere it's not even a consideration.

It seems that they don't verify whether or not an IMEI is correct for the type of handset it is purportedly on, though. IMEI number assignments are issued in blocks to manufacturers.

Changing the IMEI is a breeze, the only hassle is to make sure if you are roaming, make sure that the home Cellco knows the latest IMEI which simply requires a visit to a service centre - occasionally it can be done through a call.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

VOIP is the problem

This is the tip of the iceberg. Analogue phone networks are pretty secure, but once you add VOIP you are open to any sort of hacking in the same may as any email can be hacked. I believe the US is in the process of converting its entire wired phone network to an open VOIP system, unlike the UK where at the moment BT's 21CN core is IP, but not externally visible as such . This will cause chaos.

14. Calamity
    WTF?

Need help to verify this

I have been trying this using the method outlined in the article - i cannot hack into my own EE voicemail box or that of my colleague. Just tried it with a couple of Orange mailboxes - same result, i cannot get in..

Has anyone tested this for themselves - would be interested in hearing if it actually works... What am i doing wrong? Should SpoofCard ap work?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Need help to verify this

Exploiting Orange has patchy results, and I don't know when you tried with EE, but by yesterday evening the mobe network had patched the bug. See a follow-up due to be published this morning.

C.

15. This post has been deleted by its author

16. monkeyfish

giffgaff?

Do the same security holes or lack of exist in the virtual networks? I.e. is giffgaff ok because it's on O2?

17. DaddyHoggy

I Tweeted @ThreeUK and linked to this article.

They linked back to their standard "Setting up a PIN" page.

I have pointed out that this article shows PIN is bypassed.

Fecking idiots.

ThreeUK: @DaddyHoggy We offer the following advice to anyone who is concerned about security: po.st/BfQEdr

Original Message:

http://twitter.com/ThreeUK/status/459664401872986112

18. Chris Wicks 1
    Alert

Actually, that Three link isn't very useful...

Decided off the back of the article to set my 3 voicemail to always request PIN.

Turns out they have two things which can be configured separately:

- "Fast login" uses caller ID (presumably the insecure CLI described in the article) to auto-recognise you;

- "PIN skip" gives you the option to request the PIN if you've been auto-recognised.

By default, both of these are on so you go straight through (even when roaming).

I've now turned off PIN skip, so at least I still get auto-recognised - hopefully a balance of security and convenience.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Inconceivable!

Wait... An El Reg staffer -- a staffer named Simon, of all things:

- made a bet

- of a technical nature

- with a co-worker

- involving a technical topic

- in a pub

And he didn't wager at least a few pints, a few quid, or a shift on the helldesk? Come on!

20. Mookster
    Headmaster

Don't you mean the "A" number?

Can't you just call a spade a spade? What you did is A-number spoofing. CLI is a bit different...

(your old-person call-center redirect example just about shows it)

21. Alistair Dabbs

Almost on sidebar of shame (but not quite)

Well done, you're on the front page of Daily Mail online: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2613258/Are-voicemails-STILL-risk-hacked-Investigation-reveals-easy-access-inboxes-without-PINs.html

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Almost on sidebar of shame (but not quite)

*updates CV*

C.

22. h3

I knew that is how it worked. I just thought that it had been fixed by now.

The networks should have had the liability due to the measures being so insufficient.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It sounds like

It's all gone to POTS

24. F0rdPrefect

So O2 have got it right have they?

How come every 2 or 3 months I suddenly find that they have removed my PIN from my voicemail?

Sometimes I get a text telling me I have a message and all the message is, is O2 telling me to set my PIN because I haven't. But I first set it when I had an analogue phone and I am still with the same provider, sort of as I started with BT Cellnet. And every time they tell me I haven't set it, I do.

So I set a PIN and then a bit later they remove it.

Why?

1. Simon Rockman

No one has got it really right. The Vodafone system is the most secure, but it's a pain to have to enter your PIN when you are on your mobile and roaming to a network that doesn't have CAMEL.

Simon

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like