back to article Chrome makes new password grab in version 34

Google has announced that Chrome 34 is now stable enough to be promoted to the Stable Channel. In a few days it will therefore become the default version for millions of users. Most of the updates to the browser are anodyne: there are 30-odd security fixes, a new look on Windows 8 and what Google labels “Lots of under the hood …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Jack Douglas

Are you sure?

"That means that even if users turn off Chrome's feature that collects and automatically enters their login credentials to web services, the browser will nonetheless make the offer to do so."

Are you sure? Or does it mean that Chrome will offer to remember passwords for fields that have the autocomplete=off attribute set *by the server*, just like Safari does (if you toggle a setting).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Websites that force you to type in long secure unique passwords in over and over again should be shot and killed.

Then taken outside and shot and killed again.

If I want to use a tool to store long strong and unique passwords, then one is a web dev dick trying to stop me.

+1 for Chrome and google doing this.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lastpass ?

I'd rather use a purpose built password manager, than rely on one that's effectively an afterthought.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Finally

I want my passwords stored except for the ones that involve money. Many sites dont allow password saving even though no cash changes hands. I'll decide.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I assume this is at the request of certain government organisations for sites they currently do not have a back door route into?

6. Andrew Jones 2

I wish they had brought the Password Generator along too, I found it so much simpler in the BETA to be able to generate a complex random password directly using Chrome, and Google of course would automatically save the password it had generated. Despite what other people think, providing their Google account is using 2 factor auth - having Chrome generate a unique random password for every site is a most convenient way to stay secure on the web, knowing that if a site gets hacked - the password they may have for your account applies to that site only.

7. RyokuMas
    Stop

"No comment..."

Jesus, yet more creepiness and underhand behaviour from Google... why don't they just come out and announce "ALL YOUR LIVES ARE BELONG TO US!"

8. Boothy
    Go

Goodbye auto-complete extension

Means I can finally remove the auto-complete extension I've been using for the last few years to do exactly just this due to too many sites abusing this option.

Also means Chrome becomes a little more compliant with the W3C HTML specs.

Whilst I can understand Banking sites etc. using this, (and I'll continue to select not to remember on those sites), so many other sites use this option, when they have no good reason to do so (such as sites that don't deal with real money etc).

Putting the User back in control, which is kind of the point with HTML.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Goodbye auto-complete extension

HTML? How quaint. Don't you know the modern web master "developer" uses only PHP, CSS, Ruby on Rails, the not-yet-ratified-HTML5, Java and, well, anything but HTML?

Get with the times, old man!

/sarcasm

/rant

/body

/html

9. bigtimehustler

To be honest, I think this is sensible. I am a grown up adult, it is for me to decide what I choose for the browser to remember, not a website developer working on the website in question. It is their job to adhere to best practices in designing the form, my choice if I choose to override them. I generally get pissed off when some low level site I don't really care about forces me to enter a password every time and will not remember it (and neither would the browser currently). If I think its worth the risk for what that website stores, then thats my choice.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

2 points.

1) I agree

2) Unfortunately in this day, ALL websites are bombarded 24/7 with hack attempts of every nature. Log ins have become mandatory thanks to that.

10. ecofeco Silver badge

Yet another security problem

I tried Chrome. Then I saw it didn't have half the security customization that FF did and dropped it.

While the speed is great, the failure in security makes it a show stopper.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like