back to article Morrisons supermarket hit by MASSIVE staff payroll data robbery

Morrisons' checkout and shelf-stacking staff across the UK will be anxiously worried about their bank accounts this morning, after the supermaket admitted that thieves had spaffed employee payroll details online. The grocer said on its Facebook page that it had notified all its workers that their personal information had been …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: worried?

This attitude, prevalent in Britain, has always amused me somewhat. This is a nation who think giving out your bank account number is dangerous but insist on using cheques. They think ID cards are dangerous but proving your identity with a gas bill is fine.

Brits are very resistant to any kind of change, so they bring out some well publicized case while ignoring the fact that the old system is clearly broken.

It's one of the many endearing idiosyncracies about the UK, along with other band-aid solutions like hot water bottles, carpets and thick curtains. The rest of us build our homes warm and draft free.

But I love Brits and the UK to bits. The Shire wouldn't be the same if hobbits lived any other way.

1. xerocred

"... who think giving out your bank account number is dangerous ..."

A basic tenet of security is 'need to know'. The whole population doesn't need to know anything about me and my bank account. I like to keep it that way.

2. jbuk1

No one I know has used cheques for years. Does anyone even get a cheque book with their account anymore? If you'd been talking about the USA maybe.

I think you're a little misguided with your assertions as towards the UK though.

2. JMB

'worried?

Not sure what details are there in the database, but why necessarily would the employees be worried about their bank accounts?

"will be anxiously worried about their bank accounts this morning, after the supermaket admitted that thieves had spaffed employee payroll details online."

Typically knowing someone's name and bank account details allows you to make a transfer TO them. If I want to TAKE money from the account, I need to have one of:

- a bank card link to the account + know the PIN (to make ATM withdrawal)

- some sort of one-time-key security dongle + knowledge of a PIN or password (online banking)

- a photo ID having my photo plus name on the account, plus many times also teh physical bank card (to make an in-person withdrawal at the bank)

Of course that's assuming the banks have good security procedures in place...'

Like the fuss someone will make about giving their bank account number online yet will send a cheque by mail to a complete stranger and what does the cheque have printed on it ............

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Theft not hack

This appears to have been a theft of data not a hack.

Someone needs access to payroll data in an organisation and if those people decide to steal it, it can be very difficult to prevent them from doing so. I know we all love to jump to conclusions but I haven't seen anything to suggest that this isn't the sort of attack that almost any organisation might fall victim to.

1. Velv
      Terminator

Re: Theft not hack

Doesn't matter if it was theft or hack, were sufficient measures put in place to attempt to prevent the loss of the data?

Since >80% of data loss incidents occur from inside, that is where the focus of protection should be.

It's hard to restrict the DBA of the HR system from accessing the data, but you wouldn't expect the web admin to have access. Edward Snowdon demonstrates that you can never prevent every loss, but only the ICO report will reveal if this was a leak through bad controls as well as bad people.

2. TeleC

Interesting coincidence?

Considering they posted a major profit warning this week, I wouldn't be surprised if this was someone 'looking into' where that profit really went, or who's getting rich off of it.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Interesting coincidence?

Monsieur Besancenot, please go!

3. cd

"We are liaising with the police and highest level of cyber crime authorities."

That is reassuring.

1. JMB

' "We are liaising with the police and highest level of cyber crime authorities."

That is reassuring.'

Translates as the boss is asking his son who has an XBox

4. eJ2095

Not one to ask BUT

Why was the payroll data even linked / put on there website server?

also wasn't Morrison lagging behind with there on-line shopping anyway?

Only wanted my Grocery's and ended up with a payroll.. (Wonder if you can get the Morrison's Fuel saver on this....)

1. Velv
      Headmaster

Re: Not one to ask BUT

"Why was the payroll data even linked / put on there website server?"

It wasn't.

It was "stolen and then uploaded onto a website"

5. Lyndon Hills 1

strange

Some have pointed out that the article doesn't say it was external crackers, and so it might be an inside job. While possibly the case, if you had access as an insider, why would you post all the details online? Morrisons will obviously call in experts (and police as they've said), so I'd worry about being caught, and surely the consequences of this would far outweigh the lolz gained? The perp also sent it to a newspaper, increasing the avenues for investigation.

6. Mark 85

Included Bank Account info??

Ok.. so any money on who got the word first in order to get the bank to change their account number? Either the CEO or the junior stock person in the warehouse? And I'd lay odds that every senior staff member disappeared to their bank as soon as they were told and didn't have wait until the end of their shift like everyone else.

7. Frumious Bandersnatch

bank accounts

The banks should allow you to set up "aliases" for your bank account. They generate a new account number that is linked to your main bank account and then you give that account number to your employer or whoever needs to transfer money into your account. Make the account only available for inwards funds transfer, so that if the account details are stolen, they're of precious little use to anyone. (sort of like how you can get disposable, pre-pay credit card numbers)

At a stroke, this would solve the problem that these data breaches cause. They should also extend the "alias" idea so that you could set up separate payment accounts that you use for different recurring bills.

It seems simple and effective, but am I missing some obvious gotcha?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: bank accounts

Citibank send me my credit card statement with card number helpfully obfuscated like:

1234-4567-89XX-XXX

However, helpfully printed on the bottom of the statement, on the 'do not write here' return slip it has the full card number in clear text.

So what could possibly go wrong with your great idea?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: bank accounts

Sounds like one of the many features of BITCOIN, in fact.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The grocer said on its Facebook page"

Well. there's part of ya problem!

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

A family firm that eats its workers

They use the fact that the firm is a "family run business" as an introduction to their agencies' induction process. Some of the videos shown at the induction indicate the family is a bunch of cut throats but oddly that doen't put anyone off. Being unemployed trumps frightened rabbit every time.

The agency(s?) steal potential money from potential employees before said potential employee even gets a job. It is all to do with the forms you fill in and the permissions you have to give. Thay are just like the formsyou fill in online when you join MSN Groups and end up agreeing top all the spam hell can send you.

They use agencies to employ temproray staaff so that they can be let go without any comebacks. At the interview, the hopeful are ordered to give details of their accounts "for payments to be made" when eventually employed.

The details are then used to access the account and take out a small amount regularly. Most people notice and stop it but a lot -enough, don't see it until too late.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Current data only??

Does anyone know if the data was only current employees?

Morrisons made a lot of people redundant ~6 months back. It is unlikely that Morrisons will be contacting their ex-employees to say "sorry but we still have your financial info on our systems and now its been stolen".

Enquiring ex-employees need to know if they are at risk.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like