back to article Bletchley Park board member quits amid TNMOC split-off spat

A Bletchley Park Trust board member has stepped down in protest against the charity's failure to sort out a long-running dispute with the National Museum of Computing. Dr Sue Black, senior research associate at University College London's department of computer science, quit the Trust's board at the end of last year. She …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. smartypants

She's part right...

Putting a few more women on the boards would help, but only because that would be a way of replacing the current people with other people.

That's the main point surely, not whether the people on the board have a penis.

3. smartypants

Visitors to Bletchley: Have your cake and eat it!

Decades ago Bletchley Park was devoted to overcoming devious security measures.

In that spirit, when we paid a recent visit, we naturally decided not to let a silly little barrier put us off, and in the end, we found the fence didn't actually stop us anyway. It looked more like a fence you put around landscaping works and after a couple of wrong turns, and a bit of a smile at the sheds housing the memory of our cherished computer history, we made it.

It was well worth it. TNMOC was easily the most interesting bit of the whole day out, and it would have been a great shame if we'd been prevented from seeing it all in one go.

In short, trustees, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

1. Tom 13

Re: In short, trustees, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Quite like politicians, I rather suspect if any significant number of them were capable of being ashamed of themselves the current mess wouldn't have happened.

On the topic of the vindictiveness of people people in positions where they don't yield a great deal of actual power I will note the following observation about Senator Phil Graham. When he arrived from academia in DC people were amazed at his adroitness in playing the long-knife game. Then someone pointed out that because the stakes are so much lower in academia, the fights are even more competitive than they are in DC. I suspect much the same is happening here.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Quitting was a mistake

If someone is the only voice of reason in an ocean of big egos, she shouldn't have quit.

Calmly ask the same rational questions over and over again: "yes, but how will that solve the problem?"

"yes, but what is the added value for the trust?", "I see, but how will that get us closer to our goal?"

This will have the big egos foaming at the mouth in a couple of weeks and room for fresh blood is only one heart attack away.

5. 2E0VPX

"When it became apparent to me late last year that I could not achieve my goal, I resigned." An odd statement that. So did she resign over the current dispute, or didn't she?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.