back to article Google gives Maps a lick of paint, smears it over screens worldwide

Google is preparing to complete the rollout of its redesigned online Maps service. The refreshed satnav-like site was debuted by the web king at its developer conference in May last year, and since then has been shown to some users around the world. "Thanks to your helpful feedback, we're ready to make the new Maps even more …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. IT Drone
      Thumb Down

Re: Missing stuff just for me?

I agree with your point about the search nearby function - it seems to have disappeared from the map pin options. You can still get the same results by entering "abc near xyz" but personally I then find the new presentation style a bit naff. You get a tantalising glimpse of the old clean and easy-to-read style by entering, say, "pubs near wembley stadium" on the Google web search. Then click on the map to see the same results in the updated Google Maps. Pants...

1. wiggers

Traffic

"Last year Google tantalized Map aficionados with the prospect of live traffic results" - Google Maps has had live traffic for years! I can see Waze notifications on the desktop browser version of Maps also, but that might be because I'm a Waze user.

1. Nifty Silver badge

Re: Traffic

Google Maps already integrates a feed from cell tower triangulation to get real time traffic info.

I found this to be so much better than Waze that I switched from Waze to Google for phone sat nav.

It works for best journey time routing each time you plan a journey too.

What ought to have happened with the acquisition is that Google's traffic feed got onto Waze, Then Waze might be worth going back to.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Google map colours

I prefer the colours that they use in Google Maps, much easier on my eyes.

The attempt at doing cycle routes is also ok, but needs a lot of user feedback to improve on this particular offering.

I had a look at the beta of the new Google Maps, and while there was some nice ideas, alot of the functionality was still missing, like mutliple waypoints, so I went back to classic maps...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting update

They've taken our neighbourhood roads out of street view, you used to be able to nose at the houses, but not anymore.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like