back to article Yahoo! Mail! users! change! your! passwords! NOW!

Yahoo! is urging users of its Mail service to change their passwords to something secure and unique to the web giant – after a security breach exposed account login details to theft. The company said that it has reset the passwords on accounts connected to what it termed a "third-party database compromise" – that database …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. RyokuMas
      FAIL

Re: Improved password change security!

Mine perpetually says that my new password is too similar to my old one.

... I've tried a dozen so far.

1. Colin Wilson 2

"Mine perpetually says that my new password is too similar to my old one"

How on earth would they know? Unless they are saving them in plain text...

1. Tom 13

All operating systems can and in secure settings are configured to remember x number of previous passwords and prevent you from using them again. Whether the password is encrypted or they are just checking against a hash I don't know, but it's pretty much irrelevant. At my current work location I believe they are tracking the previous 24 for both network and email accounts. Damn thing remembers passwords I don't remember having used.

I understand the reason for the check and the absurdly high number of remembered passwords. Back when it remembered the last 5 passwords we had people who would change the password 6 times to get back to their original password. Personally I'd rather those idiots were throw into the Hell of the Upside Down Sinners.

2. Joe 35

I didn't have that problem, but it only asks you to type the new one in once. Insane.

3. mickey mouse the fith

"Please change your password with the form that won't let you change your password. One line asks for current password, second line asks for new password, then click Save. So sez the instructions.

Error pops up telling you the passwords don't match.

Seriously?"

Are you using firefox by any chance?

I almost tore my hair out with this, checking and rechecking i was tapping in the right characters only to have the bloody thing moan about pw not matching.

After pissing about, changing characters, case and symbols thinking it was their shit pw system not recognising certain characters, I tried it in chrome, and it worked first time.

Dont know if its an compatibility thing with an add -on or yahoo are just shit at making websites function properly. Il go with the second option.

1. taxman
    Facepalm

THUD!

Trying to do this and .........account locked! Password reset sent to.....yup the account that's been locked not the 'other' account! And to get to the security questions to confirm who I am.....yup you need the new password!W!T!F!

1. Fihart

Re: THUD!

Yes, I anticipated this could happen. And decided beforehand that if Yahoo flucked up and locked me out I'd simply abandon the account I've had for 15 years and move to a different provider.

Luckily my password change went smoothly -- apart from their stupid demand for a cellphone number (which I ignored by simply signing out). But Yahoo remain on a short leash as far as I am concerned. Too many more screw ups and slowdowns and I'll look elsewhere.

2. Mr_Pitiful
    Happy

Baffling

What is this yahoo! thing you mention?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Trollface

Something that died last millennium but is still not aware of that fact.

2. Vociferous

Re: Baffling

It's UKIP's home away from Stormfront.

(Seriously. Read the comments section.)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Baffling

Sort of like a Google but with massive annoyance levels.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is no fault of Yahoo.

Another website was hacked, users who used the same password as their Yahoo password on the hacked website/forum/whatever need to change their password now on Yahoo.

This is the fault of the user not using different password for different websites.

no more no less

1. Dick

Really?

Can you point to a statement by any responsible party saying that's what happened? If it did happen that way why are only Yahoo emails affected?

Yahoo needs to come clean and name the mystery third party.

4. Paul Westerman

Keepass FTW

Password changed (only needed to enter once, as observed by others) to Keepass-generated 20 character jumble of nonsense

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: Keepass FTW

Keepass is a brilliant piece of software. I just need to persuade the other half to use it. As for blame, there are the users using the same password on multiple sites (I am sure plenty people do it), but Yahoo! should take the majority of it for giving out users passwords (and usernames) to another company. You just don't do that, unless you're Yahoo. I have been threatening to dump Yahoo for a while, now seems as good a time as any.

1. Kelli

Nowhere in the article does it say that Yahoo gave out usernames and passwords to another company.

Another company was hacked where users were registered using their yahoo emailaddress and the same password as they use on Yahoo Mail.

1. Dick

Nowhere in the article does it say "Another company was hacked where users were registered using their yahoo email address and the same password as they use on Yahoo Mail."

5. Mage Silver badge

Badly done

They STILL don't send a confirmation link to previous email address before changing it on password change or have you type it twice.

6. Gareth Holt

Account deleted

Despite not having used my Yahoo! mail for a considerable time whereby it should have automatically expired, somehow it was still live.

I've put it out of its misery now...

7. AbeSapian

Not To Put Too Fine a Point On It

Just why, exactly, was Yahoo sharing user's passwords with a third party? The only reason to have the password is if you're going to log into the account. What was that third party doing?

Regardless of the fact that it was the third party's systems that were hacked, it is an enormous breach on the part of Yahoo for even sharing passwords with that third party. The liability is Yahoo's.

8. captain veg Silver badge

Spammed

Was spammed from the Yahoo! account of a friend on Tuesday, presumably one of those thusly cracked. The spam contained nothing but a hyperlink, which I entirely failed to follow. I'm guessing some exploit attempt was on the other end.

Worryingly, the following day I got three very similar spams from the webmail of a relative, but not using a Yahoo! account. This time it was AOL. Is there some link between the two?

-A.

9. Alan Denman

Software companies gone soft!

There ain't many of the big guys left who ain't been hacked.

The bigger you get the harder you fall.

10. Vociferous

Two-factor authentication =

"GIVE US URE PHONE NUMBER! U CAN TRUST US!"

Like hell.

Well, Google's been doing it for ages, it was only a matter of time until Yahoo decided they needed to sell ads to phones too.

Thing is, I don't need secure. Anyone could hack my gmail or yahoo or facebook or TheRegister accounts, and I couldn't care less, so having to jump hoops for a "strong" protection I don't need is really fucking annoying.

11. Donald Becker

I suspect that this was an extremely bad breach.

One that reveals Yahoo was passing plaintext passwords over to partners.

When I logged in today I got the "suspicious activity detected on your account" message, along with "UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD RIGHT NOW NOW NOW NOW".

I had already read a headline about the compromise and I had a unique username and password on Yahoo. Otherwise I would have read the accompanying words as meaning some other site had been compromised and hackers were using that login info to abuse my Yahoo account. That's extremely sleazy. There was no apology, not acknowledgement of a massive screw-up.

12. rontom

responsibility?

Two days after the breach I'm informed of a risk to my email account. Yahoo email is yahoo's responsibility. Why should I listen to their security advice if they're trying to blame an unnamed third party? And why should I give them my cellphone/mobile number?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blame others for your failure, blame others for your security holes.

You can sort of see why Yahoo are so unloved and crappy.

14. Vociferous

Yahoo.co.uk is still experiencing problems.

It's been down at least five times this sunday. Only for a few seconds each time, but still -- if I didn't know better I'd say someone was working on a production server and restarting it.

15. Arachnoid
    Thumb Up

Maybe its time.......

That Yahoo let you change your log in credentials to something other that your well known email address

16. Howard Hanek
    FAIL

Somewhere in the Clouds.......

Someday Britain will wake up and find that the London Financial District has been successfully migrated overnight to Lagos. Fortunately being an English speaking country business will continue uninterrupted and Abu Dabai will purchase the vacant real estate from the owners for a pittance. Britain will then apply for membership in the African Union.....

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like