back to article Our Milky Way galaxy is INSIDE OUT. Just as we suspected, mutter boffins

New data from the European Space Agency's Gaia-ESO project has confirmed that the Milky Way galaxy grew from the inside out, backing up theories espoused in the standard model of the Big Bang. On-edge view of the Milky Way's star formation Right after the Universe exploded into existence, it was made up almost entirely of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Of course, if metals are also being produced by material closely orbiting the black hole, you might expect to see a similar distribution of any given element. Did the study only map Mg or did it map several elements? If the latter are the abundances consistent with the supernovae process, or are there divergences which get stronger as you move inwards?

DJ
Coat

Just a simple question.

"Right after the Universe exploded into existence..."

Could you explain to us what 'the Universe' was before it exploded?

Or where that came from?

Thank you for clearing this up for humankind.

Mine's the one with the humility in the pocket...

Re: Just a simple question.

It's not a simple question but a very profound one. Unfortunately it's founded on a notion of causality and familiar laws of nature that just didn't exist at the very earliest beginnings of the universe. What does it matter what came "before" when time itself didn't exist so the question itself has no meaning.

Big Bang theory only gives us info on what the universe was like about 10^-43 seconds (Planck time) into its life. Beyond that, physics of any kind just doesn't play.

It's reasonable to speculate that a singularity existed as infinite potential and had a quantum jitter (read: because it could rather than conventional quantum mechanical processes) which caused a spacetime to develop with a unified symmetrical force out of the infinite potential. However we have no way of probing back that far for reasons already mentioned.

This post is very enlightening. I'm reading a book ATM which shocked me... when the universe began, it was space-time that started. There was no time before the BB. How could time alone exist when there was nothing else? So prior to the BB, there was nothing, no matter, no space, no time, absolutely nothing at all. It makes sense but it's still hard to grasp because it's beyond our experience.

DJ

Nothing wrong with asking questions.

As long as one can accept there are answers we may not understand. Or like. Or accept.

Silver badge

I've tried to answer this a couple of times, it's best to go to an expert:

http://www.hawking.org.uk/the-beginning-of-time.html

Paris Hilton

?

http://JesusChristAd.ws !!!!!!! or just where do you think you are going with your big bangs and black holes?

Re: ?

Where do I think I'm going with my big bangs and black holes? On David Cameron's naughty list of course!

Mushroom

But here's a puzzle...

When stuff emerged from the BB, why did it get clumpy? There must have been something that pushed matter apart before gravity took over to coalesce matter into stars and galaxies.

Silver badge

Re: But here's a puzzle...

That kinda stuff is being pretty much very well indeed simulated on them supercomputers.

The Millennium-XXL Project: Simulating the Galaxy Population in Dark Energy Universes

No extra crank stuff needed except dark ingredients.

I do think we have ourselves a winner.

Alien

Inside out you say

Should be called the "Way Milky" then.

From here on I shall stand in awe at the night sky and in my best Bill and Ted voice say "Way Milky!"

Once upon a time there was nothing - then there was the interent. I AM SANTA CLAUS.

Boffin

All You Need is a Galaxy-Sized Computer to Figure This Out.

Was there ever any salmon of doubt?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017