back to article Harvard kid, 20, emailed uni bomb threat via Tor to avoid final exam, says FBI

A Harvard student used internet privacy tools to send a bomb threat to his university in order to avoid taking a test, it was alleged today. Prosecutors in Massachusetts accuse sophomore Eldo Kim of firing off an anonymous email that claimed there were a pair of explosive shrapnel-packed devices on campus. It is alleged the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Mad Chaz

Or they could have absolutely nothing against him but needed someone to blame and now his life is ruined even if found innocent.

Just saying.

1. sorryhandleisalreadytaken

you've never been before a judge have you?

guilty until proven innocent, I sure hope he has some kind of proof on his laptop showing that he was into some weird kinky stuff at 8:30am, instead of sending retarded guerrilla mail.

and how does that even come into your mind? seriously, do shit like that for sheer morbid pleasure, don't do it to get out of a test, jesus what a pussy.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

now it's all coming crushing down

On the plebs that thought the internet could be anonymous....

3. Don Jefe

Devices

I wonder if the article meant to say the idiot called in a threat of 'shrapnel packed explosive devices'? 'Explosive shrapnel-packed devices' are entirely things and not nearly as scary. Just sayin'...

4. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

What a blow!

To bomb out of College like that...

5. T. F. M. Reader

Harvard need to reassess their admission policies?

I am not going to comment on the utter folly of sending in a bomb threat to delay an exam. Whoever does that should be found and prosecuted.

But, looking at the IT angle, if you are going to use TOR/Guerilla Mail/whatever to cover your tracks (for privacy, not criminal reasons, I hope) in any situation where someone serious i going to look for you and being found out is non-trivially bad, then

* pick a place you have no connection to, such as a coffee shop or a municipal network in a town that you do not visit often;

* check the place for security cameras and don't stay in the view of any;

* clone a new VM with a bridged, not NATted network and a random MAC address;

* do your dirty (the whole enchilada - a new installation of whatever you need for TOR,etc.), with a time delay;

* shred(1) or similar the whole VM;

* sanitize your history and logs on the host.

Preferably, that's after you burn a different MAC address into your network card but before you restore the factory one. Still preferably (maybe), use a throw-away phone (bought for cash in a different town) as an access point and then do throw it into a remote brook (NOT the Charles river - don't do anything near home/work/campus).

How difficult can it be, really? Really - very. Much more difficult than *any* single Harvard exam, I suppose. Having said that, just figuring out the relative difficulty of doing this compared to sitting an exam - and the risk/reward ratios - should be expected, along with that other thing called common sense, of anyone who managed to get into Harvard. Which brings me to the point in the Subject line...

1. Mark Allen

Re: Harvard need to reassess their admission policies?

Why even go into the coffee shop and sit in front of cameras? Surely it would be simpler to do from the street outside? Accessing the wifi from outside of the building and away from camera range. That way you also have the excuse to wear that thick coat and scarf.

1. T. F. M. Reader

@Mark Allen: coffee shop just for convenience - I mentioned "municipal networks", too, but you need to check for cameras in the streets as well, in this day and age.

2. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Or simpler. Don't send a threat to an organisation using internet access provided by that organisation.

6. Tank boy
    FAIL

Happy this is over with

The wife and I live south of Boston, this story was the news all day. The Keystone Kops probably couldn't put 2 and 2 together that a bomb threat got called in on a day of finals so shut down half the city. Great work, now go get your coffee and doughnuts and sit in your cars checking your phones. Sad day for the Boston PD.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Happy this is over with

Why, what do you expect in a city where an array of LEDs got identified as a bomb back in 2007...? :(

7. Ed_UK

In the same league as...

the bell-end who was in my year at school and wanted to avoid taking an exam. He was on of the "hard" guys and had the bright idea of finding someone to break his writing hand for him. He didn't get any takers and so did it himself, apparently with a brick. I saw him later with bandaged fingers. He didn't do the exam and most probably didn't go to uni (no surprise there).

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Use a Raspberry PI...

I personally would have done the following...

Get a Raspberry PI with a WiFi adapter and a cheep 2GB SD card and load a Linux OS of your choosing on it, load TOR and utilities and configure the WiFi and ethernet.

Take said PI to a public out of the way WiFi hotspot and from the car using a laptop access said PI headless using a crossover ethernet cable and do your "deed" over the WiFi hotspot.

When done, destroy SD card and WiFi adapter and wipe any logs showing any connections to the PI.

(if really concerned, destroy and dump the PI in a different location from the WiFi and SD card)

1. sorryhandleisalreadytaken

Re: Use a Raspberry PI...

dewd, a baseball bat is so much easier though

9. Florida1920
    Joke

You can't handle the truth

As usual, everyone gets it wrong. The kid was simply doing an experiment as research for his senior paper on Internet security.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't worry! If he is rich, then he will get off with affluenza..

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like