back to article Antidote for poisonous Aussie Red-Back Spider venom DOESN'T WORK

Australia's second-most feared spider, the Red-Back (a member of same family that includes America's Black Widow), is probably less venomous than we think, considering that new research shows the anti-venom Australia has used for decades doesn't do anything. Of course, since nobody's actually died of a Red-Back spider bite in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Sherrie Ludwig

Yikes! I mean,Crikey!

American born and raised. Used to think I would like to visit and possibly live in Austrailia, then I saw Harry Butler's TV show, where he said, "there are (I don't remember the number) species of snakes in Austrailia. A few of them are non-poisonous." Add in Sydney funnel webs and all their cousins, and I think I'll stay up here, where black widows and brown recluses are, well,reclusive.

1. Stratman

Re: Yikes! I mean,Crikey!

A survey to name all the poisonous creatures in Australia resulted in a list so long it was quicker to list the non poisonous ones:-

"Some of the sheep"

2. UnauthorisedAccess

Can't help but to comment...

Here's my weirdness when it comes to spiders (as an Australian); Huntsmans (or 'Freds' as their called by some Australian families - not sure if this is common) scare me. They're massive, move in darkness and some reason love turning up at eye level when you least expect it. They do this weird act of 'someone is near and the light is on - if I don't move then they won't see me'. If you turn the light off for a minute they'll be on the other side of the room.

The weird part: All other spiders don't bother me, even the deadly ones. I will try to overcome this as they truly are spiderbros.

Quick personal stories of huntsmans:

1. As a teenager, a coworker of mine stacking shelves at Coles had a huntsman jump on his face like a face hugger (leg span covered his face). It didn't bite, it just decided that his face was a good place to jump to.

2. Wife driving the car, felt something in her hair, pulled it out and it was a huntsman's body. The legs were going nuts. She just threw it on the passenger seat and kept driving. 30 minutes later I get in the car and she says "oh yeah, there's a pissed of huntsman in the car, don't annoy it". Thanks.

3. If you have one in the bathroom above the shower, please note that they'll loose their grip as the condensation increases. If they're above you, prepare for some help massaging that shampoo in.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.