back to article MEGA ASTEROID could 'BLOW UP EARTH' - Russian space boss

A freshly discovered asteroid, with the classy name 2013 TV135, has a slight chance of smashing into Earth on August 26, 2032 and ruining everyone's day in a very big way. "A 400-metre asteroid is threatening to blow up the Earth,” Russian vice-premier Dmitry Rogozin, who runs Russia's space industry, posted on his Twitter …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Re: Don't worry!

"Of course I watch the documentaries and there are always a couple fragments that end up in the Eiffel tower and the Big Ben."

Leaving aside the naming of Elizabeth Tower (ne the Clock Tower*), are those the ones in Las Vegas or Europe?

* TIL the name St Stephen's Tower was erroneously applied to the Clock Tower at the Houses of Parliament

Silver badge

The lesser evil

> only two bodies yet found that may threaten Earth

The other being whichever "body" has his finger on the big red button?

Anonymous Coward

Re: The lesser evil

I was going to say, "the other one being your mom"...

Silver badge
Pint

Thursday

I told ya so. Don't wait until Friday to do lunch. Go out on Tuesday too, just in case...

Silver badge

Re: Thursday

"Go out on Tuesday too, just in case..."

Doesn't Hot Fudge Sundae fall on Tuesday?

Silver badge

Re: Thursday

Yes. Yes it does.

But what if it's iron-nickel? That would really be a kick in the teeth. Even still-standing boiling water reactors won't save us then.

Anonymous Coward

So the 2048 one we can just get out of its path... 50megatons, bah...

but 2500 megaton impact... well that is sort of end of world shit right? is this an E.L.E. if it hits?

I guess I have 19 years to build 3 deep bunkers positioned around the world to hide in (a bunker near the impact site would be useless, so better have 3 to be sure..)

2500 megaton is not that huge, you'd easily survive just a hundred km away. Try some of the asteroid impact calculators (eg. http://impact.ese.ic.ac.uk/ImpactEffects/ ), the megatonage does vary a lot depending on impact velocity and what it hits, but I'd suggest less than 15km/s with a density of 3000kg/m^3 to get near the 2500 megaton figure.

Silver badge

An article I read a while back (ok, several years back) claimed that if the Czar Bomba had been built to it's original, 100mt specifications the climate change it caused would have been catastrophic. Mind you, I never looked into the credentials of the author and the tone of the article was "OMG WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE FROM....er....something".

Silver badge
Black Helicopters

What about

the 6+ billion bodies already on earth? Quite a few of those are pretty threatening.

Anonymous Coward

"Lucifer's Hammer" in real life...

What the title says

Silver badge

Re: "Lucifer's Hammer" in real life...

And it looks like hot fudge sundae will be on a Thursday :)

..although as it's an asteroid that quip barely works :-/

Lottery odds

My chance of winning the UK lottery is 1 in 13,983,816. That's amazing. What would it improve to if I bought a ticket?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Lottery odds

That depends on whether you bought a ticket with the winning numbers or not.

Silver badge

Well that in turn depends on how much they would charge me if I did ask for the winning ticket instead of a regular one.

Happy

With my luck I'll buy a ticket and win the Jackpot the same day the rock toasts our bacon!

Silver badge

What I'll be doing

Provided I'm still alive, it might be a good time to grab the "Fish Story" record from the shelf and take it for one more spin.

Mushroom

HA! :)

I'll almost be 80. I like fireworks!

By August 26, 2032, 99% of all energy production on Planet Earth will be done by LENR. Coal, natural gas, oil, solar, wind, and geothermal will all be mostly obsolete. And space travel will also be powered by LENR, and our capacity to divert even a huge asteroid such as 2013 TV135 will be greatly enhanced.

Alert

What's really sad...

...and if you watch most of Jame's Burke's Connections (1970s BBC science series, similar to V-Sauce on YouTube) you'll appreciate this, is how all our discoveries, developments and learning will all have been for naught. Unless of course we can document and archive the best of our work in such a manner that it is legible by other species and will survive drifting through space for millennia on the autonomous space craft we will be launching prior to our demise. #2032ThisWasUs

Boffin

1:1,000,000

As we all know: Every time there is a one in a million chance of something happening then it will happen. The corollary of this is - if it's not got a one in a million chance then it will not happen.

shouldn't think we will do anything , too expensive for a species obsessed with the cost of everything

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018