back to article Island-hopping Beardy Branson: I'm dodging rain, not taxes

Richard Branson has denied that he lives on his Caribbean private island for tax reasons, after a report over the weekend branded him "tax exile". The Virgin Galactic boss claims he relocated to Necker in the British Virgin Islands for the good of his health and because he loves the 74sq acre self-made resort. "Seven years …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: heh

I think it was selling them in the UK, while pretending that they were going abroad, that HM Customs and Excise took exception to...but I may have heard wrong.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

He's retiring to the island having done his level best to pay little or no tax at all for 40 years.

Payments going into family trusts, shell companies, holding board meetings in Switzerland....

I think he may have taught Starbucks and google all they ever needed to know.

(though Tom Bower may seem to have it in for the bearded one, his opinions offer an alternative viewpoint for consideration)

1. john devoy

jealousy?

Maybe MPs are jealous that they haven't worked out a way yet of having tax payers fund tropical 2nd homes for them yet, they seem to get everything else paid for them.

2. Arachnoid

UK resident Tax dodgers

A pity the press and politicians don't chase down the bulk of the millionaire tax dodgers who actually live in the UK

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: UK resident Tax dodgers

It's a pity there isn't that much tax dodged in the first place. Certainly they didn't get the billions from Swizterland that they were claiming was avoided illegaly.

Disclaimer: I am non-resident brit living abroad. I pay uk tax even though I don't have too... cos it's way too much fucking trouble to claim the 20% siezed from my BT share dividends of nearly fuck all.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And dont forget that patriotic Scot who hasnt lived in Scotland since he started making money in 1960's and moved to Monnacco to avoid taxes

Oh I must mean Jackie Stewart

Branson pays UK tax on his UK earnings, Stewart pays sweet FA but lip service to Scotland

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I thought you were talking about the OTHER proud Scottish Nationalist who seems to spend as much time as possible avoiding Scoltland and jetting between Spain and the Caribbean... Mind you... Branson.. Private Island... Minions in boiler suits... That's why Connery is in the Caribbean, he really is James Bond!!

3. darwinian dinosaur

any guesses anyone?

"....and flogged his estate in Oxfordshire to his children Holly and Sam". Any guesses? £5.55 (each - he's not given to generosity)?

4. Arachnoid

It's a pity there isn't that much tax dodged in the first place

Oh please no ones naive enough to believe that old chestnut

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If he doesn't live in the UK, then why would you expect him to pay UK tax?

6. Hubert Thrunge Jr.
    Joke

and another one..

In another shock revelation, US President Barack Obama was found to also be not resident in England so does not pay UK taxes. An outrage says the Sunday Times.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He doesnt need to avoid tax - he gets his company's to do that for him.

Massive licensing costs for the "Virgin Brand" - all paid to other parts of the group head-quartered in various tax havens. Large transfers of cash and debt around the group...

and of course all paid for via the massive tax payer subsidies he demands - and if there's any danger of losing them he stomps his feet.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like