back to article Brit inventor Dyson challenges EU ruling on his hoover's energy efficiency ratings

Brit inventor James Dyson is challenging the EU's labelling policy for hoovers in court, claiming that it doesn't do his vacuum cleaners justice. Dyson said that the EU's energy efficiency rating system was based on dust-free lab conditions that were completely different to the way that hoovers performed in the home. The firm …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
        1. Ragarath

Re: "Ms Dyson. Ha! Ha! I wonder if she invented the hoover. Ha! Ha!"

You may not be able to call a Dyson a Hoover but you can hoover with a Dyson!

See Here

1. cortland

Re: "Ms Dyson. Ha! Ha! I wonder if she invented the hoover. Ha! Ha!"

ALL

Fair is foul, and foul is fair,

Ho[o]ver through the fog and filthy air.

**They exit.**

http://poetry.rapgenius.com/William-shakespeare-macbeth-act-1-scene-1-lyrics#lyric

1. Piro Silver badge

Re: Hoovers???

Completely agreed. But then I only say vacuum cleaner anyway.

2. Frank Bough

Where are Dyson's hoovers made, exactly?

1. G-Mann

Dyson make vacuum cleaners

Hoover make vacuum cleaners

Dyson do not make Hoovers

Hoover do not make Dysons

Simple...

we say "vac" the carpet anyway!

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: Hoovers???

I had a cat called Hoover once. She used to completely clear her food bowl, just like a hoover would have - hence the name.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
            Coat

@gazthejourno: If you hoovered Hoover could you hoover it with a Dyson or did you hoover Hoover with another Hoover?

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
            Joke

@gazthejourno

I had a cat called Puke once. You can guess why.

1. Nasty Nick
              Joke

Re: @gazthejourno

Then mine should be called "Crap Behind the TV Four Times".

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Not That Andrew

Actually, in the UK Hoover lost their trademark because it became a generic term, so you can quite happily and legally hoover away with your Dyson, Miele or Henry. You can even hoover with your Hoover. I have no idea of the grammatical correctness of your actions, however.

1. lglethal Silver badge
    FAIL

Am I the only one...

Am I the only one who things testing a vacuum cleaner in a dust free environment is like testing a chainsaw by cutting through Jello? Ok you might get a result, but I hardly think its telling you anything useful...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Am I the only one...

I'd say it was like measuring your car's power output with the wheels jacked up off the ground.

or a washing machine with nothing put into the drum

energy efficiency of a vacuum cleaner ought to be the energy it uses to pick up a known quantity of material. what price a low energy usage cleaner if you have to vacuum the same bit of carpet twice?

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

commenting on myself here.

There is already a standard test method for pickup, etc

BS EN 60312-1:2013 Vacuum cleaners for household use Dry vacuum cleaners. Methods for measuring the performance

So why not just tag on a current/voltage measuring element to it and have a consistently measurable method for energy efficiency?

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"what price a low energy usage cleaner if you have to vacuum the same bit of carpet twice?"

Like the way most toasters are "low energy" nowadays. They take twice as long to make the toast so you end up using the same energy (or more, due to wasted heat emissions rising up) to make toast that is hard and dry. Unfortunately, you can't test a toaster until you get it home.

This does seem to be an unfortunate trend. Setting headline targets for energy efficiency which result in more usage rather than less due to the manufactures gaming the system either to save money or because the targets are unrealistic in the first place.

1. pPPPP

That's not as bad as those bloody hand dryers that blow cold air but don't actually dry your hands.

They consume power without actually achieving anything so they are infinitely less efficient than the old sort.

2. handle

@ John Brown

Wouldn't the power rating of the toaster give you a clue as to how long it would take? Anyway, I don't think there's an EU energy rating for toasters, so you can't really blame "headline targets." If any reduction in power is occurring it's probably greenwash by the manufacturers.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sort out the car industry mpg figures while you're at it...

real world mpg figures never match the EU fuel economy test either - plus the manufacturers do a Shamsung and 'optimise' for the test. I imagine the vacuum industry does too.

1. Tim Warren

Re: Sort out the car industry mpg figures while you're at it...

Totally agree with you on this one. Apparently my VW Passat Sport 177PS returns 67.3mpg Extra-Urban 60.1mpg combined, and 50.4 urban.

Well I can tell you that I have never seen any more than 55mpg, and that was taken over a relatively short section of scottish highlands A road at about 50mph.

For real world figures consisting of mostly extra-urban driving on A roads, plus a little motorway driving, in the Cambridgeshire fens see:

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/w0067814/passat

I'm not a fast driver either BTW...

1. hplasm
        Happy

Re: I'm not a fast driver either BTW...

In a Passat? No...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Sort out the car industry mpg figures while you're at it...

"Totally agree with you on this one. Apparently my VW Passat Sport 177PS returns 67.3mpg Extra-Urban 60.1mpg combined, and 50.4 urban.

Well I can tell you that I have never seen any more than 55mpg"

VW diesels get more fuel-efficient as they run in (around the 20k mile mark), apparently, so if it's new ...

FWIW, I typically manage around 2mpg better than the published figures for my car (i.e. published combined figure 54mpg, brim-to-brim measured figure of ~56mpg) ...

3. Fihart

Dyson's strength -- brute force.

I'm fond of the Mk 1 Dyson which I found in a skip totally jammed with congealed scraped off wallpaper -- not a task for which it's warranted. Jamming can happen with the Mk 1 even in normal use, so several more Dyson rescues ensued. As I haven't yet found any Mk 2 or later models abandoned, I assume that Dyson has fixed the problem.

Once unclogged they work well but I suspect that the main thing is the enormous motor, rather than the eye-catching swirly effect technology. The latter, combined with the Red Dwarf styling and the sheer noise of the thing has man-appeal that no vacuum cleaner ever had previously.

4. BugMan

Testing in a representative environment

Why should the EU test in a representative environment - it's not like they do this for anything else...

Hands up anyone who's managed to get anywhere near the offical mpg figures for a car?

1. NorthernCoder
      Trollface

Re: Testing in a representative environment

"...mpg figures for a car?"

Does it count if it is in a long downhill with the wind in the back, the sun behind me and an urgent need to find a toilet?

2. Zimmer
      Happy

Hand up here, sir! Me,sir..!! 2007 Fabia Estate... 64mpg mixed driving ... can get (and have had) 80mpg over a 30 mile trip along A and B roads... Hammer it on the motorway on a trip and you only get 63mpg :( shame, that..

3. Frank Bough

My car pretty much achieves it's official, terrible, MPG numbers.

4. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Why should the EU test in a representative environment - it's not like they do this for anything else...

BugMan,

Aha! Now I understand it. That's why all the Eurozone banks passed the 3 sets of stress-tests they did, including all the Spanish and Cypriot ones. The Spanish ones were only bailed out 6 months after the third lot as well...

But don't worry, they're doing some more at the moment.

BTW, back on topic, how fast does a sheep travel in a vacuum cleaner?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"That's why all the Eurozone banks passed the 3 sets of stress-tests they did, including all the Spanish and Cypriot ones. The Spanish ones were only bailed out 6 months after the third lot as well..."

Unlike the totally respectable well managed UK banks who aren't being kept afloat by the BoE printing shedloads of money. Oooh, I crack myself up sometimes.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Soruk
      Boffin

> Hands up anyone who's managed to get anywhere near the offical mpg figures for a car?

I've exceeded them on occasion. 80mpg in my 2009 Grand Modus.

On one journey in my previous car (2004 Scenic) I once got 90mpg between Basingstoke and Canterbury, something I have never managed to repeat since.

7. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Another hand up! Manual says 15.5 mpg but I usually get about 22 mpg.

Isn't that great? Thank you for the G, you Austrian engineers! </sarcasm>

8. fruitoftheloon
      Happy

yup,

regularly beat manfs fuel consumption figs 47mpg on a ford s-max 2.2d on 300 mile a-road/motorway journey, +34mpg on longer trips i bmw auto 535 petrol, 34mpg on long trips in 2.7d auto jeep cherokee, long term average 30mpg

5. Number6

I wish they'd come and test them all in my house, then I wouldn't have to clean the floors.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

yeah because the 10 minutes every couple of days spent hovering around the house is a real big number in the grand scheme of national energy use... I expect the money and energy put into running the test labs will be greater then the total energy saved if everyone used the lowest energy vacuum (also does it take into account the life of the product, "really economic in lab conditions cleaner" ends up breaking after a year, while "not really economic cleaner lasts for five years" what is the energy required to produce a new "economic in lab conditions cleaner"? Dysons tend to last forever and are pretty modular so you don't need a whole new cleaner when something gets bust.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Facepalm

Hoovering every couple of days!?!?!? Did you say days?

You didn't mean years did you? My hoover is embarrassingly energy efficient then.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

That little bit of domestic dust hardly hurts anyone. Let's hoover less to save the planet!

7. CynicalOptimist
    Joke

He could have strengthened his legal case if he’d teamed up with other manufacturers. Currently, he is operating in a vacuum.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

His problem is that his rivals all suck. And cooperation just isn't their bag. Also untrustworthy, less than half of them being upright...

8. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Is it just me

or does it sound like Dyson might think that his hoover's / vaccum cleaner's / swirly suction device's* energy rating might not work out as the best, and he wants the tests skewed to benefit his marketing department?

*delete as applicable

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Re: Is it just me

Downvoted? Really? He has pretty much said that the fact that his cleaner is 'bagless' (a design element) should count as a plus in an energy efficiency rating (a measure of how much poweer it uses to do its job). If that isn't asking for the benchmark to be skewed in your favour, I don't know what is.

1. Rukario

Downvoted probably because of the proliferation of greengrocer's apostrophe's apostrophes.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
          Headmaster

They're possessive apostrophes; if they weren't there, you'd (or should) get a syntax error trying to parse the sentence.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

I'm sure it's precisely the point. However, he may have some justification on his side. After all, the whole point of the swirly-wirly design was to do away with the bags. Because the bags only work at peak efficiency for the first bit of sucking, until you've actually used them. At which point they start to reduce in efficiency and suction.

So his point is that his should be using a relatively stable amount of energy, whereas theirs will become more energy inefficient as they're used. So testing when brand spanking new does give them an advantage - and isn't really a good test of energy efficiency. Or anything really.

He may even have a point on consumables. In something like a fridge, which is turned on 24/7, energy efficiency is obviously key. However, a hoover is only turned on once a week, for a few minutes. So consumables are a much larger proportion of the energy budget. Also if the unit drops in efficiency for a large portion of its lifecycle, it may end up consuming more power, as it has to be turned on for longer to do the same job.

Being no hoover expert, it may be that he's just getting his complaint in first. But his points seem pretty reasonable to me so far.

3. Dave K

So, you develop a device, add a few features into it which you feel improve its efficiency in real world usage, then the EU decide to test the devices in a silly way which bypasses your efficiency improvements (ooh I dunno, testing vacuums in a dust-free environment for example). Of course you'd complain!

Just the same was as if they tried to test the efficiency of cars by doing 30 laps flat out around Silverstone, all the hybrid manufacturers would (rightly) complain that it's not a true test of actual real-world usage (unless you're Michael Schumacher and happen to live next to the Nürburgring).

Unless of course you can see a single real-world aspect to firing up a vacuum cleaner in a dust free area?

9. heyrick Silver badge

Dear Dyson

While I have not bought a Dyson, I have bagless cleaners and I HATE the mess it makes when it is time to empty it. My next model will have a bag. Too bad for "the environment", I'm going to worry about my own lungs first.

1. Callam McMillan

Re: Dear Dyson

Simple solution: Buy a Henry. You'll change the bags every so often and keep the filter clean, then it'll last you at least 10 years judging by our one!

1. Frank Bough

Henry's are shit.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Henry's are shit."

Care to expand on your eloquent comment?

Numatic/Henry cleaners aren't high tech or complicated. It's a motor, turning a fan, above a filter, above a bag in a bucket on wheels and is about £100 retail. It's simple, quality engineering from Somerset designed to clean floors and carpets for many years without giving fuss.

Compare that to complicated, unreliable and Malaysian built nonsense that is your average Dyson. £200+ retail but about as well built as a Moskvich.

1. handle

Malaysian Dysons

Galling though it must have been when Dyson moved its production line to Malaysia, it seems a little odd to criticise when most other vacuum cleaners were never made in the UK in the first place.

Henrys are cylinder cleaners so inherently inferior compared to an upright of any make, as they do not brush, merely suck.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>Henry's are shit.

So's your English.

This topic is closed for new posts.