back to article Former Microsoftie in AUTOMATIC BEER MAKER funding plea

A pair of boozy ex-Microsoft employees have embarked on a mission to bring homebrewing to the masses with a machine that supposedly makes brewing a beer as easy as making an espresso. Bill Mitchell and his brother Jim launched the Picobrew Zymatic on Kickstarter, where it has quickly racked up orders. The project began on 30 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Stoneshop

3.5 hours

Well, for turning barley into fluids it's quicker than a horse, but the result will be much the same

2. ChristopherPontac

Possibly the best idea in the world.

3. hitmouse

Will it come in a Blue Bottle of Death?

4. severs1966

Tea on tap

Can a UK-based team of developers please invent a tap that dispenses tea on demand?

A bit like the ones that already exist for boiling (or very very nearly boiling) water.

Sorry for the sudden change of subject, but I feel that this would be a greater contribution to civilisation than increasing the ready availability of beer.

Or do both!

1. Shrimpling

Re: Tea on tap

You mean a Tea Urn?

I think somebody has already invented that.

5. Tony Green

Come back when...

... you can use it to make beer as good as the monks at St Sixtus in Westvleteren do it.

6. Solly
    Joke

Don't take the piss out of MS Beer...

...They'll be nothing left in the glass

1. BeerTokens

Re: Don't take the piss out of MS Beer...

You say MS Beer but did you see the mac in the video and I bet that board is not running a version of embedded MS software!

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Happy

Putting the "homebrew" back into "homebrew engineering."

Seriously it's the time factor I can't figure out.

I heard of some idea of exposing it to ultrasound to speed up the process but I'm doubtful.

8. Irongut

Trust Americans to take the fun out of homebrew.

Well one of the fun parts anyway.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

A few weeks too late to help SchraderBrau.....

Hank might not have been impressed anyway.

10. bed

BSOD

The Brewery Scream Of Death. It does seem that Microsoft anticipated this device, just look at the list of system Error Codes: ERROR_OUTOFMEMORY, ERROR_NOT_SAME_DEVICE, ERROR_BAD_YEAST, ERROR_OUT_OF_HOPS, ERROR_HANDLE_TUN_FULL, ERROR_BAD_DEV_TYPE, ERROR_CANNOT_MAKE, and, of course, ERROR_VESSEL_OVERFLOW. Meanwhile, here is one I made earlier http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/ag-equipment/brewing-systems/micro100l.html

11. kiwi.paul

we were there first

and yet again New Zealand got there first: http://www.williamswarn.com/

1. The Indomitable Gall

Re: we were there first

There's a problem, though: the single-container construction means you won't be able to start batch n+1 until you've finished batch n, leaving a 7-day gap in the beer supply. Disaster!

12. Hud Dunlap
    Joke

Am I the only who noticed the computer was an iMac?

I guess the old Microsoft guys know what a good computer is.

13. jukejoint

I don't drink beer but I am An Authority

First off, that GTA V Pi$wasser commercial, Pi$$ed me off. It violates the old rule of 'only you (a family member) - can call your brother fat' - for others the statement is a thrown gauntlet. On the other hand, it goes nicely along with our motto of 'America - F*ck Yeah!'

Secondly, I don't drink beer yet my other half does, and has been home-brewing at our home with a partner for almost 3 years, first started with 5 US gallons now brewing 10 US gallons at a time. (I looked it up - approx 8.3 UK imperial gallons). The process of brewing takes almost a workday and they usually barbecue many delicious items for lunch while they're waiting, and sample a bottle of two of their former brews for readiness, if recently brewed and fermented; and for joy, as they sample their older brews. Each gets about 48 bottles or pints to himself after every time. They ferment for about 2 weeks, then test, and bottle/label the beers and let them rest another 6 weeks.

Their setup is made up of rubber hoses, thingamajigs, heating kettle, carboys, all kinds of stuff which they sterilize and use over and over. They will laugh themselves silly over this article and the description of its brewing and price. I think their biggest expense was the large kettle with taps/connectors, whatever they are, and it was around 100 US.

They have a tasting party every year and a number of people come to sip samples in a blind tasting and choose their favorites as the guys make all kinds - IPAs, and lagers, and red ales or whatever the heck they all are, dark and light. They always brew from grains/hops and create their own recipes and labels. The winner of the tasting for the year is brewed in November for their 'Anniversay' brew.

Also - they cart their equipment outside to brew because our lovely home is very space-limited with a big yard. Then all inside to sterilize stuff, bottle & cap when ready, and label. Our downstairs bathroom is a bit spacious & so kept temp-controlled and is the 'fermentation room'. (It used to be the darkroom).

Since my beverage of choice is wine or liquor when I indulge, ours is a marriage made in heaven. The guys give it away to their friends and bring it to parties and celebrations. The only time one of their brews failed came after a year of brewing and they made an additonal brew for a wedding - it turned out flat, we use it for a marinade. The couple received another gift instead (weren't told in case they were superstitious).

Aside from that, I detest crowdfunding appeals from people who are financially fine. Unbelievable that they have raised that amount of money. Especially for stupid-a$$ consumer crap that makes its own crap.

14. Peter2412

Nice try but.........

Brewers make wort and yeast makes beer, this machines seems to offer to save time and produce great beer. I would not be investing a penny until I had tasted the beer, unfortunately we can't just download a pint from the sales pitch. The beer making process has evolved to its current state for a reason, not to mention the thousands of man years spent refining the process. This may well be a step on, but it looks like too many compromises have been made to cater to the bread makers who want to up grade. Fermenting and drinking from the same vessel, which looks like it includes the hot break materiel is like eating oranges without peeling them. What you get will defiantly taste of oranges, but you'll also get other things as well. The efficiencies are poor and all for 16 pints. This seems like an expensive way into brewing for non brewers. Whats the fun in making something as wonderful as beer if you don't have a clue about how you made it or why you made it especially if you have shelled out a shed load of cash on a black box.. Unfortunately brewing is something that you need to interface with or the in-to-face experience will probably disappoint.

15. Nasty Nick
    Pint

Drink and wait for the...

Beer Scream of Death!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like