back to article Nokia's 41Mp Lumia 1020 'launches' in UK - but hoi polloi must wait

Nokia's impressive 41Mp Lumia 1020 flagship may have "launched" worldwide - with festivities including a glitzy Shoreditch gallery party featuring photographer David Bailey, actor Bill Nighy and cannibal entrepreneur Steve Bong - but UK punters won't get delivery until the end of the month. Some Blighty operators and retailers …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I find this strange too. The Borg (Google) and Apple are far less consumer friendly companies than Microsoft....

1. Hans 1

Given that the phone excels at HD video and retains a large master copy of each image - and doesn't allow expansion via MicroSD card.

You like the hardware ? Who is your pharmacist, I could do with some of that !

1. A J Stiles

Megapixels are not everything

Megapixels are not everything! Years ago, I had a FujiFilm 2800Z with a maximum resolution of 1600 x 1200 pixels (1.92 MPx). It wiped the floor with most 4MPx cameras of the time, thanks to its lens and a decent-sized sensor. A4 prints were no problem for it. If I didn't tell anyone it was only packing a measly 2 megapixels, they would have guessed it was more.

A lens with aberrations won't project a decent image onto the sensor in the first place; and the physical size of the sensor determines the initial amount of charge which it can store, which in turn determines the amount of light it can accept before saturating. That then sets the maximum contrast between highlight and shadow, and in turn the noise floor (you want the amount of electrons displaced by light to exceed vastly the number displaced by random movement).

I personally think sensor mm² would be a much more meaningful measure than pixels (although nobody seems to publish it; wonder why not?) And if anyone was making a phone with FujiFilm optics, I'd seriously consider buying it just on the strength of that.

1. Terry Barnes

Re: Megapixels are not everything

It has the same size image sensor as most compact cameras - 2/3"

1. sleepy

@Terry Barnes: Remembering that in the crazy digital photography world 2/3" (two thirds of an inch) denotes an 11mm sensor (diagonal): it's apparently the outside diameter a 1950's glass vidicon tube would need to be to contain a sensor of that size.

2. John H Woods Silver badge

Nokia know this -- they are using the additional pixels to improve image quality, not to acquire 120MB RAW pictures. Their lens and assembly is of high quality, too, they are not just trying to bamboozle people with more megapixels = better.

3. cambsukguy

Since it creates one final pixel value from 7 actual pixels for the final delivered picture then pixel is 7 times larger unless you zoom in and reduce it accordingly.

The actual sensor is large but obviously not gigantic.

The point is that it takes good pictures, *for a phone*.

OTOH, my 920 takes better low-light pics than all the compacts, DSLRs and phones that were trying to take shots at night of fountains and lit up buildings when I was on a trip recently.

This is simply a consequence of having OIS of course but none-the-less, it slaughters those without it, or a tripod, in such conditions that require above maybe 1/10s exposure, which I find quite often occurs, more if you realise you *can* now just snap the picture of that lit-up building and have it look better than the actual eyesight view - extraordinary, anyone with a Nokia 92x will tell you.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They're becoming a popular choice amongst colleagues and friends - I suspect they're well over 10% market share now. I found myself using it in preference to my compact on my last holiday, especially for the video on my 820. Much, much better than similarly priced Androids and nearly as good as Apple phones yet half the price.

I don't think I'll ever stop playing with CityView. It's like being in a sci-fi film.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Since it creates one final pixel value from 7 actual pixels for the final delivered picture then pixel is 7 times larger unless you zoom in and reduce it accordingly."

It doesn't do that for the 38MP standard native images. Only for the 5MP reduced size ones...

2. h3

The only Nokia's I was willing to pay full price for they didn't want to sell at all in the UK (Either N9 or N950).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

4MP vs 41 ?

...4MP of HTC One cammera was enought for big success. 41 is a joke - processing of such photos will kill the battery, what about size? Or sending such elephants by e-mail ? 41 will not help Nokiosoft much..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 4MP vs 41 ?

"41 is a joke - processing of such photos will kill the battery, what about size"

It's already out there, it works, and it handles the processing via the very efficient WP OS and some custom Nokia hardware. The 1020 comes with up to 64GB - and can automatically back up all photos to Skydrive. And you can select an optimised 5MP picture instead of the native 38MP ones if you prefer....

1. Hans 1

[...]Given that the phone excels at HD video and retains a large master copy of each image - and doesn't allow expansion via MicroSD card [...] for me complete utter waste. You can only get the 64Gb from one network, over-priced.

And no, I do not believe the 41MP camera can do any good, in fact, I am pretty sure it will get outperformed by a 8MP Sony with Karl Zeiss lens. I cry Koool Aid.

0wned by Microsoft Marketing department, you guyz are so c00l, ROFL!

2. Pl0ns1971

...even you have super super Soft and processor you need a lot of memory... It is a lot graphics data anyway. Scen on PC you need a lot of ram and processing power to process such photos. So please..

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hope the finished product is better than the one they gave my OH last month.

she went to a nokia event at a UK zoo last month. they were all given these to play with/take pretty pictures of animals with.

The wifelett said the camera was great but VERY slow. A good, noticable, handful of seconds lag while the image was processed/saved. This isn't an issue on any high end android, or any iOS device.

5. Maharg

I have to question anyone who manages to fill 64GB on a phone, unless you have a number of movies and every picture you have ever taken ever; I currently have about 4GB worth of pictures which is a couple of hundred photos (12 MP phone), and 15GB worth of music, which is over 3,000 songs, add Apps, games videos etc and I’m just pushing 25GB, and I know very well I don’t need that many photos or songs on my phone.

That saying I would prefer an SD card to 64GB, but that’s personal preference, I won’t lose any sleep over it, so unless this is coming packed with a tonne of space already taken up, I don’t think both are needed.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like