back to article 'Beat the lie detectors' trainer sentenced to 8 months in jail

An Indiana man was jailed for eight months on Friday for charges arising from allegations he coached federal job applicants and criminals on how to beat lie detector tests. Chad Dixon, 34, Dixon had previously pleaded guilty to the charges of wire fraud* and obstruction of an agency proceeding** on 17 December last year, but …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Tom 13

Re: Polygraphs are bullshit.

You shouldn't compare polygraphs and male bovine waste. Male bovine waste can be used as fertilizer and is therefore beneficial to society.

1. SirDigalot

snowden would have taken a polygraph

as part of any classified clearance if i remember correctly, not chances are a the time he was honest and had no intention to undermine the usa, however...

i think people with clearance are also required to submit to polygraphs every year or so or at least at a regular interval.. ( please correct me if i am wrong)(actually why did i say that this is el reg commentard section i will be corrected even if i was right *LOL*)

Either way they are crap..

and yes it will never ever work with compulsive or pathological liars my daughter is one, we can catch her 100% red handed (evidence and everything including video) doing stuff she knows she shouldn't (or not doing something she should) and she can look us in the eye and lie so convincingly she actually upsets herself and believes she is telling us the honest to goodness truth, (genetic trait from the sire, he does the same) if you firmly believe what you are saying and doing is right or true then no stupid machine will detect it same as when someone firmly believes "god" made them do it... totally bonkers, but to them, they are not lying so will never be found as such by questioning.

1. Tom 13

Re: snowden would have taken a polygraph

IIRC Snowden was being polygraphed and that was part of what tipped him off that it was time to leave.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Polygraphs usually work because

most people believe in them. People who read The Reg are far more scientifically knowledgeable than the average person and thus the skepticism here is not reflected amongst the general public, in the US at least, where a sizable majority believe they work.

Those who believe that they work will feel anxiety when lying during a polygraph exam, which will be reflected on the polygraph's readings.

I would think the best way to teach someone to beat a polygraph would be to have them actually professionally polygraphed in an exam that has no consequences if they fail, as many times as is necessary. Once they are able to demonstrate to themselves that they're able to lie successfully they would feel less anxiety in lying in an exam that counts and be more likely to beat it.

3. Thomas Allen

You could join Scientologists and practice with the e-meter, same thing. No surprise actors and actresses can "clear" - practiced at saying other's words as their own.

4. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

RE: Polygraphs usually work because

"...people believe in them"

This is also how religions "work".

1. Don Jefe

Re: RE: Polygraphs usually work because

The free market and capitalism 'work' on belief as well.

5. Andus McCoatover

Scientologists beating a path to his door?

Just wondered....

6. Scott Pedigo
    Big Brother

The guy should have denied ever having done anything of the sort, and offered to take a lie detector test to prove he was telling the truth.

7. Commenter44655

More clients

So, he teaches criminals how to beat the lie detector...so they put him in with a bunch of new clients, erm, I mean, criminals?

This'll probably be the easiest (and most profitable) 8 months this guy has done...

8. herbturbo

In the land of the free...

It seems like you can go to prison for just about anything.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If he had preface his training with...

"Should be used only for entertainment purposes" he would have avoided all the heart ache.

10. .stu

oh the irony

If only he had polygraphed his "clients" he would have found them out to be federal agents and avoided all of this.

I really don't understand how it can be just to punish someone for teaching others to lie, when the method used to catch him involved lying and deception.

11. The Jase

Don't work

Polygraphs don't work.

Any employer that insists on one clearly has fuck all understanding of science and odds are the place is a blame culture based one, rather than solutions based. I'd never work for a place that insisted on them, ever.

Example of why polygraphs are FAIL:

You are anti drugs, like very. One question is "do you use drugs?"~

To which you answer "no". But its an insulting question and pisses you off.

Later on the question is repeated. The reaction will be stronger because its more of an accusation then.

Mind you, they're a good interrogation tool.

12. spudmasterflex

Now I know

How the Scallies on Jeremy Kyle pass the test.

13. Miek
    Linux

How to beat a lie detector (or at least conceal a lie) . Simply "Freak Out" for every question asked. You won't get the job, but, the polygraph test results will be meaningless to them.

1. Don Jefe

"Have you ever been involved with anything illegal'?

Are aliens illegal? They come to my cabin at least once a week. Sometimes they ask me questions and sometimes they probe me. I've lost my stoat. Do you have it? What Have You Done With My Stoat!

1. Miek
        Coat

I'm sorry Don, I mistook your Stoat for a Weasel ...

1. Lghost
          Coat

"I'm sorry Don, I mistook your Stoat for a Weasel ..."

How ?..weasels are weasly distinguishable from stoats..a stoat is stoatly different...

14. dwieske

polygraphs don't work, what's next, jailing a pastor because he prevented "the wrath of god" for someone who cheated on his taxes?

15. Javapapa

Took a test once, never again

Process is like this, at least for a 24 hour retail shop:

1. Run through the list of Yes/No questions, first few are innocuous to get a baseline, no recording.

2. When they ask something like, "Did you ever steal anything?", you admit your transgressions, notes taken.

3. Repeat step 2 until you forget. Feelings of shame and embarrassment (unless you enjoy being a thief).

4. Hook up skin galvanometer, pulse monitor, and one more sensor which I have forgotten.

5. Repeat the question list.

6. When they reach the embarrassing question, they ask, "Besides A and B, have your ever stolen anything?"

7. You think of something else, go back to #6, until you get pissed off, and say "No" even though you did.

8. Feel the sweat squirt into your palms, hear the needles swish, (this was in 1974, mind you), and know you fail the test. Resist punching out the examiner and leave.

The test penalizes people who have good memories and who have consciences. Psychopaths should pass easily, as will Alzheimer patients.

I once advised a young woman who was applying to the FBI. At about step 7 she realized that padding an expense account, although advised by her supervisor to do this, was actually wrong. Good Catholic girl tried to bluff her way past, failed. She later became a successful MD.

Now I've read the CIA doesn't care about your sins, they just want you to confess all and show you trust them with your soul. They can always use a good thief.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Took a test once, never again

You're making the fundamental error of assuming they actually work, when they don't.

The only way they do work is when the testee thinks they work - much like Napier's soot-stained cock.

16. Furbian
    Coat

Cypher

Anyone remember the film 'Cypher', where David Hewlett acts a human lie detectors and succeeds (though doesn't manage to stop the chap) where the other techniques had failed? Just thought I'd mention a good film related to lie detection as I leave the discussion forum...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.