back to article Microsoft's VDI deals make Windows Server cheapest desktop OS

Microsoft's licensing policies for virtual desktops (VDI) include two anomalies that make it cheaper to provide Windows Server to end users. Those hoping to adopt desktop-as-a-service (DaaS) have problems because hosting companies cannot rent out Windows licences and must serve desktops from dedicated hardware. Hosting …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. h3

Re: Microsoft (DaaS) desktop-as-a-service (DaaS)

I presume what ever they are using is in VDI mode somehow because otherwise only part of Remote FX can be used.

(Probably Datacentre because it has unlimited VM's that could be run in VDI mode).

Hard to say.

(One thing I do know is RemoteFX and Surface RT works together brilliantly).

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Berger explains users wishing to run virtual desktops must acquire a Windows licence for each end point device they use, even if that device is a PC that shipped with an OEM Windows licence."

Well if MS is going to invalidate the licences customers have paid for then MS should refund the licenses that shipped with the boxes - at the full retail price of the version in question, not some made-up OEM price that is not listed as an identifiable component cost on the price label for the tin.

Then again, I guess I'm someone who also thinks Norton should be required to pay your costs for removing their preinstalled cr*pware

2. Hans 1
    Boffin

I am a happy chappy using Linux on my work box (laptop) for the past 7 years ... I dunno why you guyz are so fussy about that MS stuff ... 7 years, well not quite, I had a Mac for about a year or two ... Linux rules, as far as I am concerned. I am a tech writer ...

TBH, I used Windows 7 for about a month when it came with my HP laptop, however, the wifi would fail every time I unplugged the power cable ... Linux did not have that issue. Powershell is cool, however, cmd.exe is a waste of time and since you run Powershell in cmd.exe (AFAICS), you are fsck'd. OWA sucks, but it is less buggy than plain Outlook, if you ask me.

BTW, I always carry a livecd with me in case something goes wrong, to be able to work from that in case eg the hard drive fails, have not used it yet, but you never know ... beats ANY Windows alternative I could think of ...

3. bigfoot780

If you believe the rumors windows 365 maybe the next wacky redmond idea. Subscription OS.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like