back to article Google goes dark for 2 minutes, kills 40% of world's net traffic

You can all relax now. The near-unprecedented outage that seemingly affected all of Google's services for a brief time on Friday is over. The event began at approximately 4:37pm Pacific Time and lasted between one and five minutes, according to the Google Apps Dashboard. All of the Google Apps services reported being back …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Black Helicopters

Re: Holy undergarments

> did you experience any DNS disruption directly?

I did. Across a wide range of website. El Reg being one.

And strange things as well. El Reg loaded, but only the bare bones HTML. Looked like 1996.

I was getting 301 Permanently moved messages on about half the websites I visited this morning or automatic "Moved to Here" on-the-fly links.

But it was completely inconsistent.

Whatever happened, and I think it was something external to Google, was very significant.

Everything seems back to normal, but something major sure as hell happened.

Google Anaylitics

Anonymous Coward

You can enable NXDOMAIN for OpenDNS for your specified ranges in their control panel.

Silver badge

On the YouTube front, its a wonder that the total internet was only hit for 40%.

Taking my kids off YouTube cuts total domestic Internet consumption by over 90%.

Paris Hilton

This, exactly. I noticed a bunch of websites which would not render properly, if at all. Normally Ghostery is blocking analytics for me, so the Google NMI had an interesting result.

Schmidt says to us, "This is but a small sample of my powers."

Alert

The sites not rendering properly would probably have been due to javascript errors because they were dependant on google hosted JS.

As for the odd redirects, could that have been because the sites were hosted in some way on google services, blogspot, etc?

The other thing I should add here, is that a user on another site was getting 60% packet loss pinging google during the outage over IPv4, but had perfect connectivity over IPv6.

Alien

Nah, just aliens "testing the water".

Anonymous Coward

Is it really that bad?

All I noticed was that YouTube wasn't loading a video, so I presumed the problem was on my side, and I visited other websites...

Alert

Re: Is it really that bad?

How did you find the other websites?

Anonymous Coward

What other websites?

Thumb Up

I'm guessing that your tongue is firmly in your cheek there, but here goes for a po-faced dumb response. I just checked, and I have exactly 1001 (decimal) bookmarks. I could spend a *long* time without needing to search.

Someone googled 'Google'.

Silver badge

Or someone googled "Why?"

Anonymous Coward

>Why?

Why not?

Anonymous Coward

>Why not?

Because.

Paris Hilton

Who?

Silence will fall when the question is asked.

Or someone googled "And you know why I want a cup of tea?"...

Obviously, a resembled tea wasn't good enough.

Silver badge

Reminds me of a cartoonish jigsaw puzzle that's an old fave of mine. It's called "Computers: The Inside Story" and featured a minicomputer (bear with me—the puzzle IINM dates back some 30 years or so). Most of the joke was all the funny things that went on "inside" the minicomputer, but up top was the computer's responses to an unstated question. It isn't long before you realize the query was, "Why did the chicken cross the road?"

WTF?

I agree with Cliff...

I use the ubiquitus 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (?) and if DNS fails then pretty much all web/ftp/rdp/name-your-service-here fails unless you are using direct IP addresses or local host file entries.

As big as the Chocolate Factory is (and it IS big) I think the DNS service is so central to what people conceive as the internet working, or otherwise.

Still 2 minutes... bad Google, bad Google!

Holmes

Er…

This one wasn't DNS; or if it was, then it wasn't just DNS…

Re: Er…

Could it have been DNSSEC, like when almost every .GOV site went offline simultaneously for an hour this week?

www.fiercegovernmentit.com/story/dnssec-administration-likely-cause-gov-outage/2013-08-14

Trollface

5min downtime if you scale it over the rest of the year is still 99.999%

Paris Hilton

Nothing worthwhile in this post.

I believe that is 4.4.4.4. I have seen this all over the place as a DNS server forward, or in individual workstation settings at sites where Active Directory refuses to work properly. ISTR that used to be owned by MCI/UUnet (or some other equally obscure provider,) and is now Level 3.

Unhappy

Re: Er…

One of the few times we have seen, or will ever see, any kind of reprieve from .GOV and I missed it...

Google turned it off then on again.

Google turned it on again? I thought Genesis did that!

"The Reg contacted the folks in Mountain View to see if they can account for the outage, but a spokesperson only directed us to the aforementioned dashboard. We'll fill you in with any further information as it emerges."

Don't hold your breath, though.

Coat

It was…

… the cleaner.

Black Helicopters

Upgrade Complete

To help prevent inadvertent collection of personal data, as reported in earlier stories; the NSA and Google are proud to unveil the new Fast Updatable Collection Keystone Utilities (FUCKU) system which went online at 21:53 Friday, August 16th.

Fully integrating the new system required a brief restart of the Internet our systems. We do not anticipate further interruptions of service.

Re: Upgrade Complete

I agree. This length of time is probably about the time required for a skilled spook to install new hardware at Google.

If you have a choice between buying a product or service from the USA and somewhere else of comparable quality, choose somewhere else. Hitting the entire USA in the wallet is the only way to stop this crap.

Holmes

>This length of time is probably about the time required for a skilled spook to install new hardware at Google.

Or remove it. Isn't some sort of panic fuelled crazed coverup due about now?

Wasn't us. Didn't happen. Nothing to see here.

Move along please.

Mushroom

swamp gas reflecting the light from venus...

Anonymous Coward

@fortran Re: Upgrade Complete

Show me a British Google Search, a British Google Apps, a British YouTube, a British AWS and I'll use them. Even a British Bing.

Sadly, all our Silicon Roundabout cardigans are too busy selling SEO snake oil to people who think it's still a thing.

Anonymous Coward

Re: @fortran Upgrade Complete

Bet you didn't use Cuil (or whatever it was called)... that was Britishish (in the not abused into being a more manageable euphemism for UKoGBaNIish definition)

Silver badge
Unhappy

Re: @fortran Upgrade Complete

Why seek a British alternative?

Unless I'm mistaken, it's been shown that the UK is pretty much in the same boat.

Paris Hilton

Don't bother. We're already in the process of economic self-destruction over here.

h3

NSA adding a new tap into everything.

Would explain it.

I'm not saying it was hackers but...

Zero Cool.

Re: I'm not saying it was hackers but...

Don't know why you have been downvoted - they have obviously missed the reference - let me just say "Crash Override" :)

Silver badge
Holmes

So now we know Google can account for 40% of internet traffic

Ah, but how much of that 40% is people using Google's services, and how much of it is Google's bots?

Re: So now we know Google can account for 40% of internet traffic

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. If your providing for a huge amount of traffic there is gonna still be a large amount that is semi redundant to account for load sharing and redundancy in the case of an outage. While google might own large amounts of its own fiber, there are large tracts of fiber that it still doesn't own, would would show across the public networks.

Would Love to know the amounts public and pirvate bandwith they have and saturate :D

FAIL

Google -

Too big to ... ooops!

Recovery

What I'm impressed by is that everything seems to have run perfectly once Google came back to life.

What do engineers/admins of these kind of huge systems like this think? I would have expected load balancers etc to have gone out of whack, after receiving normal traffic, zero traffic then 50% above normal, in the space of 5 minutes. That strikes me as the perfect recipe for a cascade failure we've heard so much about of late.

Silver badge

Re: Recovery

Also the extremely fast fix. Most big sites take hours or days (or in the case of banks weeks) to recover from that kind of crash.

Silver badge

Who the hell cares?

The gootards are an anathema on teh intrawebtubes ...

The longer they are down, the better off the rest of us are ...

Silver badge

Re: Who the hell cares?

Jake, chill the hell out. This isn't the Waldorf & Stadler show.

Silver badge

@DAM (was: Re: Who the hell cares?)

If you enjoy providing personal data to a multi-billion dollar international advertising machine, follow your bliss. Who am I to argue, Muppet?

I *know* what this network is for, I helped build it. And the gootards aren't allowed on my portion of it.

(Apologies for the paraphrase, Russ ... http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/writing/rant.html )

Anonymous Coward

Re: @DAM (was: Who the hell cares?) @Jake

Did you have your social gene removed at birth? There are ways and means of making a point without looking like a twat. You appear to know none of them.

Anonymous Coward

Wow, not only was Jake a close personal friend of Steve Jobs, he also built Google. Any luck on getting the publication ban on your work on the Manhattan Project lifted yet, Jake?

Anonymous Coward

"Any luck on getting the publication ban on your work on the Manhattan Project lifted yet, Jake?"

I'm more interested in the story of how he stole fire from the gods to give to us. Is there anything this man hasn't done? More importantly, why does he insist on telling us about it all the time? Still, I suppose a 13 year old in rural Cornwall has to find something to do ...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018