back to article 'But we like 1 Direction!' Rock gods The Who fend off teen Twitter hate mob

Legendary rockers The Who have announced they have no plans to ask One Direction to withdraw their new track Best Song Ever after a digital mob of rabid teenage girls bombarded them with death threats. The English rock band issued the statement yesterday, weeks after the boy band released their hit song. From the day of its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
MJI
Silver badge

Re: Sad Gits

But he is entertaining

Silver badge

I assume the plod are looking into this...

Since their has been some very loud media ranting about people on twitter threatening murder and rape and how such people deserve to be chased down and arrested t by the police, I assume Scotland Yard's finest are chasing down these 1 Diuretic tossers and bringing them before the courts?

Whilst its "probably" safe to assume that there are no real threats in that lot, how can you be sure one isnt real? At the very least it might begin to get the yoof of today to realise that what you do online CAN be taken into account in the REAL world!

Or do we only chase after the twitter "trolls" when they are abusing women now?

Silver badge
WTF?

Re: I assume the plod are looking into this...

So, if someone threatens to rape you, then its a real threat, but if they threaten to rape your deceased mother, its just japes?

Unhappy

"Or do we only chase after the twitter "trolls" when they are abusing women now?"

That, and when they're "threatening" to blow up airports

Joke

Well, I for one am...

<checks the DM Website for guidance>

..shocked, appalled and offended by their language and I feel that David Cameron should do something about the Wand Erection and their reckless psychological impact on the decent, middle class white people of today.

Coffee/keyboard

Re: I assume the plod are looking into this... @ElNumbre

"Wand Erection"!!!

Your fault, bastard :-)

Look mate, while I agree with you in principle, even we 'Merkins don't have enough jails to hold them if we mete out appropriate sentences. So much as it pains me to say it, Pete taking it like a man is the best that we can manage. I wish we could do better by him.

Anonymous Coward

I particularly liked...

" — ❤ ilysm liam ❤ (@l4rryy) August 15, 2013

I SWEAR TO GOD IF IT GETS DELETED YOU WILL BE IN LOTS OF DANGER YOU'LL HAVE 15M+ PISSED GIRLS AT YOUR DOOR #DontTouchBestSongEver"

Surely any Rocker getting on a bit (not just Pete T) would love to have 15 million pissed girls outside their house

Re: I particularly liked...

At times like this, one cant help wishing that Keith Moon were still alive ...

Joke

Or even Keith Richards

I quite liked this one:

"or else you will wake up to billions of directioners with knives and guns"

So at least a third of the world's population are not only 'directioners', but are crazy enough about their beloved 1Dimensional (thanks Nick Ryan, I'm using that now) that they're willing to wait outside Pete T's house with 'knives and guns'. I think I'd be crying with despair if I wasn't laughing about it.

Still, as it's Friday let's find the bright side. Apart from the lack of any punctuation, at least this one has no cringeworthy spelling mistakes. Clearly that individual hasn't yet figured out how to turn off predictive text.

Pint

I'm pretty sure Keith Richards is, legally speaking, still alive. Medically is an all together more complex question.

Thought you got that every evening if you lived in Cardiff centre.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

@ AC 12:44 Re: I particularly liked...

Isn't it amazing the fun you can have translating English into English?

Silver badge
Windows

So at least a third of the world's population are not only 'directioners', but are crazy enough...they're willing to wait outside Pete T's house with 'knives and guns'"

So, if all these people manage to arrive in the UK at the same time and then stand in nice even circles around his house, shoulder to shoulder, waving knives and guns in the air, what area of the UK will they cover? And how many portaloos will be required?

It'd be best if they fly into the UK through major airports to be sure of getting through security with all that illicit hardware.

Remember, they're 'Merkins. "Pissed" over here means something quite different from what it means on your side of the pond. This side of the pond it means something akin to a one-person soccer riot, or as you lot call it football.

Re: what area of the UK will they cover?

Playmobil reconstruction required!

Coat

Well...

I bought my wife a one direction ticket earlier!

To Australia...

/gets coat

Pint

Re: Well...

If you don't want her, what makes you think we do.

Aw hell, with a few beers I'm sure she'll look all-right.

Coat

Re: Well...

...did she go of her own accord? No, wait...

Anonymous Coward

Sounds like

"I SWEAR TO GOD IF IT GETS DELETED YOU WILL BE IN LOTS OF DANGER YOU'LL HAVE 15M+ PISSED GIRLS AT YOUR DOOR #DontTouchBestSongEver"

A typical Friday night for the staff at Newcastle station.

Coat

Will twitter fess up to the addresses of.......

These mad monk teenage girls (mostly) who make death and rape threats? or will that just be for people who are genuinely perplexed about an airport being closed?

Re: Will twitter fess up to the addresses of.......

I think you mean vexed... I don't think anyone has threaten to blow up an airport because they were confused about why it was closed.

Silver badge

Re: Will twitter fess up to the addresses of.......

Dunno, and why aren't the - (oh let's be charitable) - band's PR munchkins on Twitter telling their fans to cut back on the rapey threats?

Today, the 1-D fans are in uproar because Channel 4 showed some of them as borderline terrifying monomaniacs. Rather than reminding their fans that there are other things to do than obsess over the group, the publicists blame the TV station and fan the flames.

Christ only knows what will happen when the band inevitably (and please make it soon) breaks up. I can only guess it will look like something from World War Z - only less musical.

Devil

Re: the publicists blame the TV station

hmmm....

I wonder if there could be a SCO like suit available there. Differentiated by having an actual legal basis of course.

Anonymous Coward

15M psychotic girls

Lucky that none of those fifteen million teenage psychos reads the Register or you'd get death threats for saying the Who are way better ;-)

Ah the teenage hive mind, like the borg but with more hormones and less facts and reasoning.

dcd
Meh

The Borg would pass them bye.

That is all.

Coat

Re: The Borg would pass them bye.

But A Boy and His Dog probably wouldn't.

Anonymous Coward

There was a previous twitter storm from 1D fans a week or two back in response to GQ magazine producing 5 versions of their magazine each featuring a different member of 1D on the cover so that "true fans" were obliged to buy 5 copies and either that or some response to complaints that GQ received generated a similar torrent of hate. There's a couple of rather "interesting" articles on the Guardian where they try to put the blame on GQ for "exploiting fans" and they deserved what they got while at the same time trying to maintain that these hate-tweets from teenage girls to GQ were clearly completely different from gate-tweets from men to female journalists etc.

Anonymous Coward

Thank fuck

that my offspring are male.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Thank fuck

And you think those pretty, pretty boys don't have a young male following ....

Anonymous Coward

If the young male following are smart and straight, then they will be following 1D for the huge female fanbase, would be like shooting fish in a barrel for them.

On another note it's clearly obvious there will be no follow up by the Police as a threat from a young teenage girl to rape an older male is less of a threat and probably hoped to be more of a promise. The death threats might get a look at though, females tend to be the more vicious of the species.

Anonymous Coward

"And you think those pretty, pretty boys don't have a young male following ...."

Yes, they might well have a (substantially smaller) number of young males in their fanbase, but thankfully my Foo-Fighter and Rush following young male offspring aren't amongst them.

Rush? How are old are your "young male offspring"?

"On another note it's clearly obvious there will be no follow up by the Police"

Presumably because neither of the other two former members would have anything to do with working with Sting these days.

MJI
Silver badge

Well I have a few, boys not bothered but like rock music, just let them play Minecraft and they are happy.

Daughter likes Florence and the Machine, but used to be Two Door Cinema Club mad, but she never went beyond a poster, CDs T Shirt and seeing them live.

She HATES no direction!

h3

I saw Foo Fighters for £15 in a small (certainly less than 1500 people) venue.

When they had just made the album with Monkey Wrench on it.

Now it costs £80 and you cannot even really see them in an equivalent venue. (I don't like outside or stadium gigs).

As that was their only good album I'd say you've done pretty well for yourself.

Florence & The Machine is a great band. Commend your daughter for her excellent taste in music.

FAIL

Re: Foo Fighters for £15 ??

Pah. I'll raise you 50p to see Genesis when they were supporting Lindisfarne on tour and the venue (Kingston Poly) was too small for Lindisfarne to be arsed to play at.

Anonymous Coward

Rush? How are old are your "young male offspring"?

The one that's into Rush is 13. Just about prime 1-direction age, I'd have thought.

Anonymous Coward

Oh, and before you say "parental influence", I don't particularly like Rush myself, and his mum most certainly doesn't. I've no idea about his stepfather (yes, I'm happily divorced), but on the basis that the wee man hates him with a passion then I doubt he'd be influenced from that direction.

I think actually it might well have been Guitar Hero.

Paris Hilton

Re: pretty, pretty boys

I thought they were all stuck at the Hotel California. I hear it's a lovely place.

Coat

I prefer to spell it...

...Wand Erection.

MJI
Silver badge

Hmm perhaps some prosecution

I think a few no direction fans should be prosecuted for their threats, well if it is suitable for some people perhaps a few of these morons should be done.

Devil

Re: Hmm perhaps some prosecution

Well maybe we should arrest the band itself, obviously for inciting violence with their bland lyrics,

Personally when I hear them I want to commit a violent act, apparently their fans are not that different

Joke

1 *rection

The first time I heard my pre-teen daughter saying the boysband name I reply "1 *rection??Poor kids, just 1 and that's it!"

Anonymous Coward

1 direction

they get their name from sexual orientation...

Re: 1 direction

...just like Backdoor... I mean Backstreet Boys.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018