back to article Microsoft to fund Blake's 7 return as Xbox Live exclusive

Microsoft is reportedly backing a reboot of Blake's 7, the seminal British science fiction show. The Finanacial Times' reports Microsoft feels Blake's 7 is just the kind of content it needs to encourage Xbox owners to deploy the device as an entertainment hub that deposits rivers of subscription revenue into Redmond's coffers …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

A disaster

We are naming our new systems after Blakes 7, zen, orac, liberator etc and they are all based on Linux.

Looks like we will have to port to MS Windows.

Disaster!

Silver badge
Happy

Re: A disaster

When you get as far as Slave (Scorpio's computer) I do hope that you'll be networking an Acorn System 1.

Linux on a 6502 in 1K might be a bit of a squeeze though.

Big Finish who do Doctor Who audio plays on CD/Download also started doing Blake's 7 ones recently with people from the original show. Think I'll stick to those.

At the risk of mixing mythologies ...

... I've got a bad feeling about this.

Silver badge

Firefly

If they Americanise it too much, at best it'll end up being along the same lines as Firefly. Which was of course excellent, but also sadly was binned despite its decent cast and crew. OK so it spawned the Serenity film as well to close things off, but it still didn't last long overall.

It's arguably not sanitised and feel-good enough to make it past a season or so in the current market.

Silver badge

Re: Firefly

If they get Joss to write it, I will even stump up cash to make sure it happens!

FAIL

Re: Firefly

Err Game of Thrones, Borgia's etc etc

Anonymous Coward

Firefly vs. B7

Firefly Joss? Too lightweight mate. But if Chris Nolan took it on, having English / US roots and Memento / Inception / Batman talent... Well that would be a thing to behold...

Silver badge

Re: Firefly vs. B7

I was thinking more along the lines of being able to write a script for over half a dozen characters and make them all seem important.

Apart from Gan.

Anonymous Coward

"MICROSOFT TO FUND BLAKE'S 7 RETURN AS XBOX LIVE EXCLUSIVE!"

Yeah, well that's going to be shit then isn't it?

Might be interesting to see how they manage to work over-bearing DRM as a good thing into the plot.

Re: "MICROSOFT TO FUND BLAKE'S 7 RETURN AS XBOX LIVE EXCLUSIVE!"

Overbearing DRM = The Federation.

Simple ...

Bod
Joke

Re: "MICROSOFT TO FUND BLAKE'S 7 RETURN AS XBOX LIVE EXCLUSIVE!"

I'd see Microsoft as a member of the Federation with Apple as the core ('core' - geddit?) with Steve Jobs, were he still about, as Servalan / the guy from the patent office.

Google are the loose group of freedom fighters. Or maybe that's Samsung, flying around the galaxy stealing ideas for their next phone, and Avon is their lawyer.

Silver badge

Reboot already done

The audio version as broadcast on BBC radio from time to time, and its Early Years backstory episodes (one was on Radio 4 Extra earlier this week)

teleport was junked which was probably for the best, but the Liberator and Zen is a much more darker thing.

Silver badge
Unhappy

Can't help thinking...

this would be everything Blake would be fighting against!

Anonymous Coward

This is the future of TV. Buy an overpriced games console just so you can watch your favourite shows.

MJI
Silver badge

IF............

It is NOT full of irritating Yanks I will have a look when it hits TPB

Are they going to call it Blake's 8.1?

Is every other episode going to be a piece of crap?

Did anyone see the web series they did for Halo? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfJVgXBfSH8

I thought they did a really good job of that.

I liked the wobbly sets

And, of course, Servalan and all the other characters.

It's the story that matters, and watching the old series is good fun in the same way as it's good fun to watch 'tales of the unexpected' to see life in the 1980s again.

I find it far harder to watch modern series which paint a future stuffed with anodyne californians. Yuck!

A remake makes sense, but...

I loved the original series, but am not as invested in it as some, so I'd love to see a remake/prequel/sequel/reboot/mash-up/banana milkshake.

Just like contemporary Dr Who the script was dubious, the acting hammy, and the sets and special effects below what you'd expect from a present-day high-school play, BUT the characters were interesting and charismatic. A syfy remake is likely to be cheesy, but at least there's hope.

Sadly, since it'll be a Windows Live exclusive I will never ever see it.

Silver badge
Coat

Prequel...

Just so long as it's not Blake's Vista.

Silver badge

What's this?

Microsoft implicated in a reboot? I'm shocked, I tell ya!

Jacqueline Pearce

I remembering spluttering my drink out when I heard Jacqueline Pearce say this quote in an interview... Lovely woman!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0668940/bio

Unhappy

I have been wanting to get this off my chest for years.

My lady and I loved B7. However, the way they chose to end it with Avon killing Blake believing he had betrayed them frakked us off so much that I cannot begin to describe how we felt about that grotesque piece of piss-taking by those responsible for the series. I hope they rot in.............ahem, excuse me but that really got up our noses.

Anonymous Coward

Re: I have been wanting to get this off my chest for years.

I'm a tech but I'm also trained screenwriter with a dozen features that never got made. Endings are always difficult. Take the non-ending 'ending' of the Sopranos for instance... Talk about a cop-out....

I hated the B7 ending at first, so I get what you're saying, but now I've gotten used to it. The worst ending of all time was the original Italian Job (1969). Talk about frustrating. What a tease! But now, years later, I love it and its in my fav collection of al lime.... But endings are the hardest.. No wait, the second act is....

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

'epic adventure acted by americans with their perfect white teeth and bronze tans'

Anyone remember the 'New Professionsal'. No? Thought not!

MJI
Silver badge

Re: 'epic adventure acted by americans with their perfect white teeth and bronze tans'

No but I watched the original series a couple of years ago on an ITV channel

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

Was B7 a Fluke?...

Michael Caine always asks: 'Why do they remake successes? They should only remake the failures'.... I was disappointed when the man himself Paul Darrow said the new B7 series had already been remade.... as Firefly / Serenity. Sure, the latter show is jovial but hardly epic .... B7 was probably a fluke. Gareth Thomas wanted to leave and that created a gripping nexus. The BBC remastered series has some fascinating insights... The show's script doctor kept having to rewrite over the cracks. He's an underrated genius IMHO...

Bod

Re: Was B7 a Fluke?...

Gareth Thomas was right to leave as the show early on lost its roots and descended into standard sci-fi fighting aliens insetad of fighting the federation. Though I still loved it despite the flaws.

I've always hoped a remake would go back to the core principles, and it should remain bleak with conflict between central characters, and possible bleak ending. So that rules out any US involvement, which means no money (given the BBC couldn't give a rats about it, not that they can afford it either), whcih means it will never be made.

I was dubious about the remake announced last year and now if it's come to this there's no hope for it. Sounds worse than a straight to video.

Silver badge

Was that "Gareth Thomas" the farmer? Coz that's how he looked and acted.

While I was wondering when Blake would return to the show, I went on a school trip to the RSC to see Twelfth Night. Disappointed to realise that Gareth Thomas was unlikely to give up his RSC gig to go back to a sci fi show. Cherie Lunghi was in the performance too, so it wasn't all bad.

Anonymous Coward

'Microsoft to fund Blake's 7 return as Xbox Live exclusive'...

Makes sense as MS are 'The Federation'.... No, wait, today that's Google....Or Facebook.. Or the USNSA... How can I decide?... They're all the same. Just monitoring outsourced to the private sector, an extension of the USNSA!

Anonymous Coward

Misread The Title

I misread the title at first as Microsoft Funds Windows 7 Return.

Silver badge

MS seem to be gearing the XBOX1 up as a sort of all in one home entertainment system but its way too expensive if your not a hardcore gamer to buy one to just to watch online TV compared to £50 Android tablet or dongle that can run lovefilm or netflix and be connected to a TV via HDMI or even a £99 Apple TV for that matter. And no doubt you will need a gold subscription as well to get shows like Blake 7 so this adds onto the overall cost.

Bronze badge

Oh God Why

I love B7, but this... please, no.

The year is 2136,

and yet again someone is talking about a Blake's 7 reboot

I'll wait for Blake's 9 for more HTML5 compatibility

X B7 live?

Requires XBox live, so B7 remake will comes with strings attached in the fine tradition of the original

Listen To Yourselves

Give it a chance.

If it happens and enough people enjoy it, then it has succeeded. The potential audience for a new version of the show dwarfs the lone voices of dissent that frequent these kinds of forums. Millions of potentially appreciative fans who weren't even born when Blake and his crew first went on the run. For that reason alone these rumours, if true, should be welcomed.

What happened to being positive. Until proven otherwise, let's simply hope that the team behind the production have ambitions on a par with those of Game of Thrones, Lost, Walking Dead and many other US drama productions.

And wish them the best of luck with it...

There's a Terry Nation authored book that follows on from the end of the series. It's been years since I read it by SPOILER ALERT, Avon survives, as does Villa.

It's dire.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017