back to article REVEALED: Simple 'open sesame' to unlock your HOME by radiowave

A pair of security researchers probing the Z-Wave home-automation standard managed to unlock doors and disable sensors controlled by the technology. Behrang Fouladi and Sahand Ghanoun took a long hard look at Z-Wave for their presentation at last week's Black Hat hacking conference in Las Vegas. The wireless standard dominates …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Security through obscurity

As far as I know, ALL security relies on some form of obscurity. Most times it's something we know that we don't have, like a password, the secret key etc. Security through obscurity is the norm in the computer industry. As we all know, having a transparent process that everyone can see is not a guarentee of security either. We have lots of open source software where we continue to find security flaws, even years after the code is released.

We find exploits in the wild for open software before those that have code for the process know that there's a hole. I agree that having a flawed security stack and obscuring it is not a guarentee that the flaws won't be found out. It's also true that by obscuring the stack, it took the researchers a bit more effort to break into the system than it would have if they'd had all the specs and code in front of them to begin with.

keysafe combinations

The combination on those keysafes is not that impressive - both the cheapie and expensive ones use the same system. Pick 1 to 9 numbers as the combination. However, the order is irrelevant 1234=2341=4231 etc reduces the possibilities quite a bit, They are tough buggers when properly fitted to a wall though.

Silver badge

DOS on Wirelss.

Wireless is really stupid for alarm sensors. Alarms by default go off if they detect jamming. So you repeatedly "jam" the frequency/band without attempting entry. Then when the alarm doesn't go off, you break a window at the rear. You park the white van in front or even the driveway. During the day! Carry everything out by the front door (Mains angle grinder at bolts if a deadlock).

Locks and wired alarms are a deterrent. Wireless alarms are an illusion for Cheapskates that don't want 4 core alarm wiring.

Silver badge

Being obscure is only a ploy...

To get those who have the items to subscribe to a service that has a (unreasonable) monthly fee. No more, no less.

If they were "open" then they couldn't count on the subscription fee (where the $$$ is) and couldn't sell the items. I see ads for these things (nice wireless front door goodies) and they tout nice iPhone apps. The problem is that they use MY internet connection to do all the dirty work, and charge me a monthly fee. Sorry, that doesn't work for me.

I'll stick with locks and keys for now.

As for 'alarms': I built up a little box that had a couple of batteries in it and just blinked a nice LED. It had a nice looking keyswitch, and an antenna. It cost about $5 total to make (the box was a big factor). I used it on a storage locker, but the blinking light drove one of the other tenants crazy and I needed to remove it. After that, the storage locker was broken into. I will fight better next time.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017