back to article First burger made of TEST-TUBE MEAT to be eaten on August 5

Boffins at Maastricht University, Netherlands have managed to grow synthetic beef from the stem cells of a slaughtered cow. But how does it taste? The world will find out next Monday, when the first hamburger made from the man-made meat is cooked and served at an unnamed "exclusive west London venue," as reported by The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Steven Roper
      Thumb Up

@Pet Peeve

Upvoted simply because you hate PETA. Great minds think alike!

2. Professor Clifton Shallot

Peta Peeve

"I'm rather annoyed that PETA is in favor of the idea. I was really looking forward to all their brains exploding when presented a tasty hamburger that animal died making."

Assuming you meant 'that no animal died making' then I'd point you at the bit in TFA that says "You basically kill animals and take all the stem cells from them"

1. Fink-Nottle
    Happy

CITES Supper Club

The technique would allow you to grow and eat the flesh of endangered species. I hear some rare tortoises are delicious ...

1. Don Jefe
      Happy

Re: CITES Supper Club

Everything tastes better when it is the last of its species.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. david willis

The space merchants

Artificial meat... Not a bad idea, now for the traditionalist sci fi fans - Frederick Phol, the space merchants, vat grown chicken little, fed to thousands of people every day.. And the catch? ... Read the book:-D

1. Charles Manning

Isn't that the point of SETI?

Identify a protein source in outer space.

1. Don Jefe
        Happy

Re: Isn't that the point of SETI?

The Chinese?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You really think that's the meat you think it is anyway?

think again.

You say cow I say horse...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I would eat it

I've eaten crocodile burgers, kangaroo burgers, ostrich burgers, quorn burgers and soy burgers. I'll try this stuff for comparison.

For reference, Croc needs cooking on a barbecue with some nicely smelly wood. Apple is good. Roo is just yummy and ostrich is a good all-rounder that never really disappoints. The vegetarian options are good enough for everyday.

1. wowfood

Re: I would eat it

Loved ostrich burgers, i found kangaroo to be a bit dry, but it could have just been overcooked. What I want to try is wild boar.

1. Ian Yates

I loved Kangaroo steak when I had it. I'm sure it just depends on how it's cooked, like any meat.

Wild boar is always a winner; especially the stuff I've had in the New Forest.

1. wowfood

They sell boar at / near the new forest? On a weekend off I could probably bike up the the new forest. If only I had a bike... and had bothered to learn to ride one...

6. Graham Marsden

Meanwhile...

... there's a way of getting protein that's a hell of a lot cheaper, by using insects.

Now of course most people's immediate reaction is "Eww! Insects...!" but, as a recent documentary showed, there are more than a few countries around the world where people are happily and healthily eating insects.

To get away from the "It's a bug!" reaction, take the insects, grind them up, reconstitute and colour the protein, bung in some flavouring if you want and you'll have something which is basically what turns up in burgers these days anyway.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Don't worry, there are insect farms springing up left and right, and pundits punditing away that insect meat is the new Gold Rush opportunity.

McGrasshoppers ? We'll get there.

1. wowfood
        Joke

This reminds me of the ribwich from the simpsons.

Krusty: Listen, about the Ribwich. We won't be making them anymore. The animal we made them from is now extinct.

Homer: The pig?

Otto: The cow?

Krusty: You're way off. Think smaller...think more legs.

2. FredBloggsY
        Unhappy

If is says McGrasshoppers on the menu, you can bet it'll be McMaggots in the 'bun'.

2. FredBloggsY
      Meh

Re: Meanwhile...

'To get away from the "It's a bug!" reaction, take the insects, grind them up, reconstitute and colour the protein, bung in some flavouring if you want and you'll have something which is basically what turns up in burgers these days anyway.'

Much healthier / tastier than what turns up in burgers, Shirley?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To hell with artificial meat - I want someone to figure out how to grow an animal which can be killed to harvest Skittles.

8. pete 22

Tube Steak?

Is this what they mean by "tube steak" in this the year of our lord 2013?

9. skeptical i

Having my doubts, withholding judgment until further testing's done.

If it CAN produce inexpensive meat that acts nutritionally like (or better than) a slice of cow, pig, et cetera, fantastic. Solve waste disposal problems, too, if we don't need to raise as many real cows (and have as many feedlots washing who- knows- what into rivers and aquifers). Some concern about the "mother cow" whose stem cells will seed the process -- I hope Bossy will have been raised on grass and real food, not pumped full of Monsanto's finest chemical soups, antibiotics, growth hormones, et cetera.

1. wowfood

Re: Having my doubts, withholding judgment until further testing's done.

I feel kinda sorry for the farmers though, think how many this may put out of business.

Although I suppose all that farm land could be repurposed for agriculture. With all the cattle land moved to growing crops we may finally ge farms focusing on quality over quantity since y'know, not as much demand for quanityt as quality if there's more of it.

10. Dragon Leaves
    FAIL

Cloud Atlas?

Considering recent findings showing that in the DNA strands of GMO foods, the GMO part doesn't stick well so to speak and finds better adhesion on the host (that's YOU!) it appears that we have no frigging clue what the hell we're doing and maybe, thus, just maybe, we shouldn't feed humans that sort of monstrosity until we're sure what it does to animal.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where are all the Romania horse meat jokes?

12. wowfood

The burger is estimated to have cost around £250,000 ($383,875) to produce. That's roughly equivalent to 100,000 Big Macs at current UK prices, or almost 20 pounds of solid gold.

It also contains more real meat than you'd find in 100,000 big macs.

13. vogon00
    Linux

RE 'The space merchants'

Synthi-meat? Sounds like someone is pulling a fast one here, make sure it's not 'Soylent Green' before tuckling in :-)

This is all very clever, but the point escapes me - it must be cheaper and tasitier to grow one's animal protein in the traditional manner......oh, I see - this synthi-meat won't contribute to global warming due to it's lack of methane emissions :-)

BTW, I believe 'The Space Merchants' was written by both Frederik Pohl AND Cyril Kornbluth - David Willis omitted Cyril Kornbluth from his credits, which means Mr. Kornbluth didn't get the recognition he deserved for such a cracking read :-)

Sometimes I wonder if these two guys actually had managed to predict the future - now, to which advertising behmoth(s?) can we assign the 'Chlorella Protiens' role?

Penguin 'coz that's what this stuff will taste like :-)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.