back to article 'Wandering Dago' tuck truck ejected from NY race track

The owners of a fast-food truck are bemoaning their ejection from a New York horse racing track, after the powers that be deemed its snappy name "Wandering Dago" a tad offensive to Italian Americans. Wandering Dago proprietors Andrea Loguidice and Brandon Snooks (pictured below) had secured a spot to sell their nosh to punters …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Michael Hawkes
        Megaphone

Re: The "Wandering Wop"

100,000 people in a cricket stadium wouldn't sound like anything in America, because we don't have cricket stadiums that large.

1. Turtle

@Michael Hawkes

"100,000 people in a cricket stadium wouldn't sound like anything in America, because we don't have cricket stadiums that large."

If we did have a cricket stadium that large, crickets would be the only thing that you would ever hear in it - and even that only on warm summer nights.

On the other hand, going to a "footie" match and hearing "There Were Ten German Bombers In The Air" would be amusing!

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If they are Italian American themselves, I don't see the problem in them using it, it's obviously being used in an endearing way and not intending to cause offence, much in the same way rappers in the US use the term 'Nigga' all the time, Irish use 'Micks', etc.

Funny how well meaning liberals tend to start acting with the fascist tendencies they so despise. Since when were you allowed to tell someone how they can refer to themselves?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Jewish comedians do it all the time too.

A gaming website I was a member of ages ago had a pretty popular user called Dago, that was ok, even to the pretty heavy-handed mods. God help anyone that used the word "fag" though. Tsk, Americans eh? What's wrong with nipping outside to suck on a fag? :)

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
        Coat

"Tsk, Americans eh? What's wrong with nipping outside to suck on a fag? :)"

Nothing at all, especially if you also have a cigarette afterwards.

2. Charles 9

"sk, Americans eh? What's wrong with nipping outside to suck on a fag? :)"

Because in America, "fag" an abbreviation for "faggot", which is an even worse epithet to a male homosexual than "queer" (probably because it's supposed to deride the act rather than the appearance that "queer" provokes). So the word's basically an insult to any man (you're either deriding a homosexual or implying a straight man is not).

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
          Facepalm

@Charles 9

That whooshing sound you just heard was the point passing over your head at 60,000 feet.

I think most people, the OP included, know what 'fag' means in the US. You do seem to be, however, a remarkable example of why a lot of people on this side of the pond think that Americans have no understandng of irony.

1. Charles 9

Re: @Charles 9

No, the whoosh was the sound of the basketball court down the road. Your comments weren't ironic ENOUGH. First rule about irony, sarcasm, or some other form of intentional untruth: be prepared to be taken seriously.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: @Charles 9

"Your comments weren't ironic ENOUGH. First rule about irony, sarcasm, or some other form of intentional untruth: be prepared to be taken seriously."

Wow, you may fail on irony, but your pomposity is right up there!

2. Charles 9

The problem in this case is they're not disparaging their own race the way Blacks and Irish are. They're disparaging Hispanics, too, while they're of Italian descent.

1. unitron

Only if that food truck can drive across the Atlantic.

Over here I've never heard of Dago meaning anything except Italian, although for years now it's seldom been used even for that.

2. AceRimmer

For their next company name inspiration...

... some one should send them a Dam Busters DVD

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

*Italian* American ?

LoGuidice sounds more Sicilian

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: *Italian* American ?

At the risk of doing an 'Alan Davis in QI'...Sicily is in Italy, since 1861 according to Wikipedia.

1. Wize

Tempted to go awoooooga awooooooga but you are correct.

It is owned by Italy but many American Italians remember back when it was a lot more regional, although it happened before their lifetime (kind of like the way some people go on about winning the world cup long before they were born)

2. Dan Paul
        Devil

Sorry, but any self respecting Sicilian will beg to differ (and beat the living crap outta youse to boot)

Dat's Sicilian American to youse (Brooklyn accent is optional) You should know that the Sicilian dialect is nearly incomprehensible by an Italian.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thanks for the footnote

Typical bloody USAians - can't even keep their racial slurs straight.

5. smudge
    Alert

Deemed offensive to Italian Americans, oddly, not Hispanics

Italian Americans, New York, race track, powers-that-be - perhaps there's a possibility of sleeping with the fishes which takes priority over anything the Hispanics might say?

1. disgruntled yank

Re: Deemed offensive to Italian Americans, oddly, not Hispanics

"Dago" is just not that much used for Hispanics in the US. You might as well complain about our use of "chips".

1. Charles 9

Re: Deemed offensive to Italian Americans, oddly, not Hispanics

I don't. I just have to remember that what the British consider "chips" deviates from the American concept (which IIRC is the original, as an American chef invented what Americans call the potato chip).

6. Bryan Hall

Grow a pair

If it offends you - don't eat there. I hate people who hide behind others (usually the government) because they don't like something or are offended.

If you have something to say - say it. If you can't man up enough to do that - go away you wimps.

7. Faye B
    Coat

I was wondering

Good job they didn't call themselves Wandering Jews then.

8. channel extended

Smoke my faggot?

A faggot is aso known as a piece of wood used on a fire or in a stove. So I like to have a lot of faggots on hand to keep me warm.

1. Alister

Re: Smoke my faggot?

A faggot is also (in parts of Britain) a ball of minced pork and pig offal served in gravy.

I suppose you could have them smoked, same as you do kippers...

9. graeme leggett Silver badge

Offensiveness scale

Being a white Briton, its hard for me to understand the level of offence in some names, and the media sometimes over-reports the issue (Daily Fail?).

Can we have a scale, with Register units, so that can see how for instance "dago" in the US lies with respect to UK "Eyetie" or "spaghetti muncher"?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

An italian by any other name

Call me anything you want, just don't call me late for dinner...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.