back to article Boffins want toilets to become POWER PLANTS

Dr Ioannis Ieropoulos and colleagues from the University of the West of England's Bristol outpost and the Bristol Robotics Laboratory have claimed a world's first: powering a mobile phone with human urine. Detailed in the paper Waste to Real Energy: the first MFC powered mobile phone in the journal Physical Chemistry Chemical …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

More info needed.

Specifically, does it generate more energy than I take out of my smartphones battery when going for a 'visit'?

Anonymous Coward

Re: More info needed.

does it generate more energy than I take out of my smartphones battery when going for a 'visit'?

That depends - do you use hands free ? :)

Brings a new meaning......

...to a partial loss of grid electrical power being referred to as a 'brown out'.....

what, No

I think their taking the P*ss

Joke

Re: what, No

I too was surprised that that pun hadn't cropped up sooner.

As for the article itself, powerful shit... no doubt...

Silver badge
Joke

Why am I reminded ....

of the line from H2GT2G about needing a receipt every time you go to the toilet ?

Pint

Support green energy and have yourself a beer!

Damn you Sir!

Pint

I got a Wii-U advert with this...

Beer - renewable energy.

Back of a loo-roll calculation:

Urine is 95% water

Therefore it is ~5% 'food'

Let food have an average calorific density of 3 calories per millilitre.

The average daily urination volume is 1500 ml.

5% of 1500 is 75. Multiplying by 3 gives us 225 calories in a day's urine.

That's roughly 10% of our dietary needs.

Saving 10% off our total energy bill related to getting food from field to stomach.

Which is massive compared to the amount of energy we can probably extract from waste urine using MFCs.

Two pieces of advice:

1. Drink urine

2. Never admit it

The author does not drink has own urine.

Re: Back of a loo-roll calculation:

I suspect that you have over-estimated the calorific content of a day's urine. The presence of nutrients such as sugars and proteins in the urine is normally a symptom of illness, so presumably the 5% should be mostly urea.

It's also not clear whether you're talking calories (i.e. energy to boil a cc of water), or Calories (used in dietary calculations, but strictly kilocalories).

Paris Hilton

Thank you for wiping that for me.

Anonymous Coward

Biologists don't do The Register, but if they did, they'd surely point out that there is no evidence in the animal kingdom of the use of urine as a source of calories where calories are scarce while there is plenty of evidence in of the use of urine as a source or water when that's scarce (another option is to excrete a urea paste and hold onto your water like many desert lizards do).

calories with a small c would be closer the mark. 0.225 calories per day's urine - about the same calories you'd find in 2/3 of a sunflower seed.

Would you bother with a sunflower seed if it was the size of a 4-pint bottle yet had the same calories as 1 and a third sunflower seeds?

It's no joke. I have a friend who went insane because of that confusion over calories vs kilocalories.

Gold badge
Coat

"...pee-powered phone..."

Come that day, piss will be Apple Juice.

Silver badge
Pint

Alternatives

How does this compare to peeing on a micro turbine/propelling a dynamo? Or extracting energy from the heat of sewage?

Not that any of these would exclude the use of MFCs or each other. I'm only wondering where the highest potential is and hence worth exploiting.

(Beer icon as beer would probably be a major source of energy in this regard.)

I've said it before and I'll say it again

Bob Shaw

Urin-8

That is all

Silver badge

Bah!

Saw this "power your house with your own excrement" idea worked out in The Domebook (or was it The Whole Earth Catalog?) in 1974.

I still think the idea is a pile of crap.

Silver badge
Terminator

All hail our machine overlords

First it was machines eating corpses on the battlefields, and now they're going to be milking us for urine between battles.

I don't like the future. I don't like it one bit.

Aaaah

piss on ya

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018