back to article Ecuador: All right, Julian, you CAN stay on our sofa - it's your human right

Julian Assange is in "good spirits" despite being stuck in Ecuador's London embassy for the past year, said the South American country's foreign minister. Ricardo Patino met the Wikileaks website founder over the weekend and appeared on the balcony of the Knightsbridge apartment for a few comments with the press. The minister …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Ironic that the person avoiding prison is willing to stay cooped up in a tiny room for the foreseeable future.

Anonymous Coward

He is in a more comfortable room at present with a lot less restrictions on his life and no regular bummings in the shower.

SWEDISH prison

You'll find that Swedish prison is considerably more civilized than US prisons. And no, he's not going to be extradited to the US from Sweden.

Anonymous Coward

Re: SWEDISH prison

Anybody in Sweden who could guarantee that he could not be extradited. And why do you assume he would get a prison sentence.

Anonymous Coward

Re: SWEDISH prison

Anybody in Sweden who could guarantee that he could not be extradited.

Still running with that red herring I see. I must hand it to St Jules, he comes up with some quality, hard wearing utter BS.

Coat

If he's got free run of the place...

Can't he do a bit of dusting while he's at it?

Anonymous Coward

Re: If he's got free run of the place...

Only after he's finished debugging some of the tricky Excel macros for their financial section.

and installed the latest version of Firefox....

Anonymous Coward

Barrel

Can't they just stick him in a barrel covered in diplomatic bag stickers?

Re: Barrel

Diplomatic bags do not allow live human contents. There was a Nigerian attempt at that (with an unwilling tranportee) a while back.

Silver badge
FAIL

What really bugs me

...is the obscene waste of public money - £3 million squids keeping bored copies on guard 24/7 - anyone would think that there was a bottomless purse of cash for the police etc - could the Met please get their priorities right and spend that money on real policing that affects the lives of real people in London on a day-to-day basis?

The duty of police management is to prioritise the use of limited resources to achieve the most effective policing, crime prevention and detection. Whatever senior copper is responsible for authorising this ridiculuous theatre should be demoted to pounding a beat in the middle of the Thames.

Can't they just shove a CCTV camera somewhere that can see the Embassy and leave it at that?

Headmaster

Re: "could the Met please get their priorities right and spend that money on real policing...?"

No! It doesn't work like that.

Re: What really bugs me

"Can't they just shove a CCTV camera somewhere that can see the Embassy and leave it at that?"

Fail within a fail. Two coppers hanging around the embassy are replaced by a camera - who is going to deal with the output from this camera??

That's right, a copper (or other payed employee) which negates any savings and, wow, another copper who is required to be very near the embassy anyway in case Assange makes his move.

That's just the most favourable outcome of your 'suggestion'. In order to have favourable odds of capturing him, they'd probably want two police ready in addition to whoever watches the camera screen. Which is, of course, more expensive.

And of course you are assuming that the Met have access to a suitable location for the camera - as they probably haven't they would probably have to pay for that facilitly too. And as you're not very good at thinking these things through I'll point out that if they site the camera in a police vehicle near the door there is no advantage over their current on-site watch - unless they trust a single officer to watch the screen and not get distracted at all over their entire shift.

Or perhaps you think they could just skim a recording later? Could make for an interesting maths question in one of Mr. Gove's new o-levels - if Julian Assange escapes an embassy at half past eleven at night at an average speed of 15 miles an hour, how far away could he be by the time PC Bob Smith finds out at nine o'clock the next day? Show your working out.

"Ecuadorian sources claim Blighty's officials are happy to leave Assange in the embassy because, as he can't leave the building for fear of arrest and deportation"

It's taken a year for them to realise that?

Joke

There's something terribly Arthur Dent-like about this situation.

"Could we, for a moment, assume that my client is still securely locked in the embassy, so that it won't make any difference to you if we nip across to the pub for a pint and a quick fumble with the barmaid".

Anonymous Coward

Haha, but you know what happened in the book/movie.. :)

Re:- There's something terribly Arthur Dent-like about this situation.

Up vote, but...

Could we assume also that the plaintiffs(*) might have a case and it would be right and just,in a social context,that they actually confront the situation they got themselves in?

(*) I assume plaintiffs. Might be prosecutor, (don't know Swedish law - but English is fab for that sort of thing).

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017