back to article Living with a 41-megapixel 808 PureView: Symbian's heroic last stand

Last year Nokia released to the world a mobile phone that is still unique. It's a smartphone with a 41-megapixel camera sensor, scooping up more detail than some professional DSLRs: it's the 808 PureView. When I say "released", that’s a little misleading. This showpiece won the Best New Phone gong at last year’s Mobile World …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Dave 15

Re: Broadcom GPU

And you think that Android, iOS and Windows don't suffer from the same?

All software has bugs and some are intractable. All of these 'OS' run on phones with a variety of hardware - I suspect there are bugs on one windows phone that don't show on others because of this. It is the same thing for any situation where the entire h/w spec is not permanently fixed. No reason for this to cause any problem with continuing with Symbian

1. Manu T

"And you think that Android, iOS and Windows don't suffer from the same?"

I almost went to war on Finland because of that shoddy Lumia 800. I was about to sue Nokia-Care, Nokia Belgian HQ, the chain that sold me the Lumia and the nokia-appointed repaircenter. My Lumia went 3 times back for repair. When it got back for a third time (a screen replacement) most of the side-buttons didn't work. They couldn't fix one thing without breaking something else. Then there was the abysmal battery life on the lumia 800 (which Nokia kept promising to fix with a software patch which never came), the awefully quiet sound, a severly crippled featureset (e.g. no BT transfers at all), most of the things that you took for granted on ANY phone didn't work intuitive or simply didn't work at all (try adding a ringtone to a Lumia 800, oh dear!)

Compared to my Windows Phone 7 experience, Symbian is a godsend! Despite its "flawed" browsing experience or less then optimal email-client. At least you can HEAR your 808PV when someone calls.

And when you missed the call there's a noticable blinking light (on the menu key). On the Lumia's there's nothing, zilch, nada!

1. Haku
      Boffin

"stopped connecting to my home router"

If your router is on channel 1 and you're having connection issues, manually set it to another channel (like 6 or 11).

1. James Hughes 1

Hmm. I think sending my 808 back for a new board may result in Nokia keeping it...something to do with the prototype screen on boot...

1. Mark .

Lots of Symbian users still out there...

My most popular app is just passing the 2 million mark after 16 months - the Android version is around 10,000 downloads. My most recent app got around 1000 downloads per day on the first few days on Symbian, and averages around 500. On Android, it's getting around 20 per day on its first few days.

Of course, I suspect that this is more down to less competition than a larger userbase, but (a) it shows that Symbian really is undercatered for, with the demand to supply ratio far higher than other platforms, and (b) there are still a lot of Symbian users still out there (and around 50% of my downloads are still from Symbian^1 2008-2009 era phones, suggesting smartphones are kept in use long than you might think).

The number one best selling smartphone in history is the Symbian Nokia 5230 released in 2009 - it will be sad to see the platform go.

(I found that I could usually get the apps I wanted on Symbian - more apps on Android just means 10 that do the same thing instead of 1, and the Android versions are more likely to have ads... The main lack for Symbian has been for non-software companies that offer an "app" for their website or service, and it's annoying that these almost always ignored Symbian even in its heyday of number one platform until 2011. But still, on a smartphone, just use the website...)

1. Joe K

Re: Lots of Symbian users still out there...

Wow. I've been looking at the amount of reviews and downloads apps still get on Nokia's so called "dead" store and wondering if it was it was actually the case.

Sure, most of the reviews are foreign, but thats a huge market still out there using these things.

2. Dave 15

If you look at the Symbian based phones that were sold, the reliability and longevity of those devices, the range of them (keyboards, touch screens, small, large...) then it is of little surprise that the new comers just don't have the same numbers of current users.

If you want a smartphone with a proper keyboard what can you buy? Only an old Nokia. Even the 808 doesn't have a proper keyboard. I guess there might be an iphone at some time, or a windows phone eventually or maybe even an android out there that has a numeric keypad that I can use when I am walking, but when you walk into the phone shop on the corner they basically all look the same - a lump of plastic around a screen with a single button at the bottom. It is not what I want, and I am not the only one who sticks to an ancient Symbian because it is better than the modern replacements.

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

The Nokia Store also serves Series40/Asha devices (and Maemo/N9 too). S40/Asha accounts for the bulk of downloads, but it's true that Symbian users are still downloading more apps than you'd image.

2. pear

Pretty happy with mine

I just need to use it more often for photos!

3. Tapeador

No swype-type keyboard = completely useless for me

long-term RSI means I can't do tappy-tappy on a phone without lots of pain so this wouldn't be viable. looks great otherwise (if i but had the dosh..)

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: No swype-type keyboard = completely useless for me

Here are two versions of Swype for Symbian...

Swype Store

Swype Beta Labs

4. Andrew Peake

If only

I could justify buying one of these but the Nokia N8 just keeps going and going. It's even survived being dropped down 3 flights of stairs and until it breaks I can't justify to SWMBO splashing out on another phone

1. Maharg
      Unhappy

Re: If only

My advice for the N8? Look after it and treat it well, love it, mine survived a lot but eventually died in a muddy festival related incident, I made the mistake of walking into a high street phone store and saying “I had an N8, it has died, I would like to get a new phone with a really great camera, to replace it.”

The person in the store said certainly, these are our best camera phones, so I chose one that was the same price as when I got my N8 all those years ago.

Nothing you can easily get on the market compares to the N8, I ended up with a Sony Xperia, and there is so much noise in anything other than bright sunlight it’s just horrible, (yes I have changed the settings, it just cant compare) the Samsung’s, HTC etc were not much better, and any that did have a half decent camera had a pathetic amount of memory with no removable SD slot.

For the first time in 3 years I have to carry a digital camera with me, instead of just the N8

1. Jani-Matti Hätinen

Re: If only

Just buy another one on eBay while you still can.

I recently stocked up on used E71s and E72s (three of each). Didn't get the spare phones because they break, but because I keep losing the damn things. And in a year or so, even used ones will be almost impossible to find and I'm sure as hell not switching to a bloody touchscreen keyboard PoS with a 12 hour battery.

5. Jerome 0

HDR

Minor point, but you can only argue that "what the 808 is doing with every photo is HDR" if the camera is "distilling lots of pixels into a few good ones" from shots taken at two or more different exposures. It's not my understanding that the camera does this by default (please correct me if I'm wrong).

1. James Hughes 1

Re: HDR

No, the camera simply averages out pixels form one exposure - does NOT take them at different exposures.

6. Martin Eyles

Calendar Sync

You can sync the calendar to Exchange automatically. I have this feature turned on on my 808 to sync to my work exchange calendar and contacts, and it is pretty reliable.

I don't use Google's calendar, but I understand that this now longer allows direct exchange connection, requiring a third party paid service (Nueva Sync I think) to convert their new calendar protocols back to exchange.

7. illiad

hey even 100 MP wont be good as DSLR...

the problem is the *tiny* sensor and the lack of a good OPTICAL zoom and lens....

the only way Nokia can do it, is what Samsung did, with its galaxy 3 camera...

The PENTAX 645D DSLR has a large, high-performance image sensor (measuring 44mm by 33mm) and PENTAXoriginal image-processing technology, and also has professional, changeable lenses..

If Nokia can emulate this, that is the only way it will work... BUT would you carry such a big phone in your pocket, as well as a good lens for it???

1. James Hughes 1

Re: hey even 100 MP wont be good as DSLR...

Yes, a big lens makes a difference, but so does having lots of pixels. And the quality of the sensors is going up all the time. I think you would be surprised how good a top spec modern sensor and ISP is - maybe not top DSLR quality, but all those pixels DOES make a difference.

8. Bad Beaver
    Go

I was into video

I would totally pick this up. For the money, nothing can really touch it, video and audio are both excellent. Just look for concert footage taken with it. Symbian Belle is also very workable on a device as powerful as the 808.

9. timple

Calendar sync

Andrew, if you are using Google you need Googasync. Allows full sync including multiple calendars.

10. 808user

calendar and browser

Thank you for the great article! Fun and informative read for sure.

As far as the calendar, it works very well with mail for exchange.. I have it synced up with my Microsoft outlook account and it works great.

The browser, the only way to speed it up is to switch off:

Auto reload

java script

flash

it speeds up quite a bit.. I find it acceptable.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

With the Nokia 'EOS' (code word) the pureview tech will be coming to Windows Phone in July apparently.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/nokia-eos-may-bring-its-41-megapixel-snapper-to-fingers-on-july-9-1153744

1. James Hughes 1

I'll believe that when I see it....maybe someone now has a Windows compatible GPU that can run to 41MP - but I not heard of one.

2. Manu T

Sure

Sure and it'll come with Santa too....

In fact didn't they promised the best camera with the 920 too? They even had to resort to fake advertisments to sell it.

IF Nokia release a full 38mp PV-system on the Windows Phone then they have a hell of job to do to rewrite the WP-included camera-app (which I strongle doubt they can or may!). The current camera app has almost no additional settings beyond turning the flash on or off.

I'll see it when I see it. Until then the only good camera phone is this 808PV.

Besides my requirements are a bit more than a smooth tile face and camera. I also want an FM-transmitter, full 2-way call recorder and local Syncing with Outlook/MS Office. I also want a file manager with bluetooth sending (even to other phones with other OS's like Android)

In fact in Windows Vista and 7 is a "sync center" or "mobility center" build in to no avail (as it doesn't work with WP? MS Own PIM can't be locally synced over e.g. USB to a phone with an MS build OS? How lame is that!!!

Nokia blew it for me with their abandoning of Harmatan (which was almost production ready) and as for MS... After their horrid abandonment of Windows Mobile users they blew it for me! Fuck them both!

3. Manu T

Current Qualcomm MSM8960 Snapdragon designs can only handle 13mpixel camera modules. MS only use this SoC for WP8 ATM. This either means that Nokia created a custom chip (with Toshiba perhaps) to downsample the sensor image to 13mp in real-time. Or they simply have a BSI 13mp camera module with ois and xenon-flash and sell this as pureview.

The first is exactly like 808 pureview (true pureview) the second is fakeview (like Lumia 920).

Now add 2-way call recording and USB/BT/wifi syncing (client confidentially prohibit me from using clouds) and I might "look" at it.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Symbian Belle is also available on the Nokia 700 ...

... which I got from Tesco for free with £10/month for 500mins, 500MB, etc. It is an amazing phone - it has everything including OLED, NFC, SD cards, compass, Bluetooth modem, etc. in a very small/light package with a 6 day standby battery. Only last week SkyDrive appeared for download, so it is still being supported after a year. Basically, most apps you need are 'in-built' and integral to the phone - including Angry Birds! One app to buy is Star Chart - an amazing program that puts the compass thing to good affect. There is one downside and that is the fixed focus 5Mb camera - it is no good for close-ups. Check out ebay for a bargain.

1. Manu T

Re: Symbian Belle is also available on the Nokia 700 ...

"here is one downside and that is the fixed focus 5Mb camera - it is no good for close-ups. "

The "trick" is to use a magnifying glass :-)

for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ0goAEaKn0

13. stylinred
    Thumb Up

Love the 808

If social networking is for you fMobi is the best facebook client out there on any platform

if the stock music player isn't for you QuasarMX is for you as good/better than anything you'll find on android

the stock internet browser has become extremely responsive and fluid over the last few updates (which didnt indicate a browser update but hey it runs worlds better on my phone)

I would like to move to android mind you not because symbian is bad but because everything else is guaranteed to continue to advance. While Symbian is certainly getting updates and not just bug fixes its future isn't guaranteed anymore so yes I am waiting to move to Android when a sufficient product comes out to meed my needs and when Symbian doesn't do it for me anymore although for now its doing it just fine

14. Jan 0 Silver badge

'808 state'

Thanks for the sub heading.

My opinion of Andrew Orlowski has just risen (if only by a smidgen).

15. Manu T

"rotten to the very end, and slow and poor at rendering pages."

Stop repeating the anti-Symbian propaganda! It doesn't suit you! You should remain open-minded and above all fair. You seem to forget that Symbian on the 808 ONLY runs on a 1,3GHz single core Arm11 cpu with a lowly 512MB of system RAM. This is no a quad core ARM Cortex-A9 (Exynos 4) with multi-core Mali400 GPU like the popular sweetheart of El Reg.

I've filmed a small clip showing you that the Nokia's WEB is NOT SLOW at all. But that Web is very competent considering it's modest system demands. This clip includes visiting the El Reg website amongst others.

http://youtu.be/czuPeL1M1bI

The trick is to disable ECMA-script which is indeed the achiles heel of Web (and many other webbrowsers). In fact the only browser that has FAST ECMA-script rendering is Google's Chrome. Fast Javascript is in fact it's main attraction!

But even with Javascript turned on Web is not bad considering it's modest demands. But you give the illusion that this phone is incapable of browsing the web.

"The built-in messaging client only handles one Exchange ActiveSync account at a time"

So does many other email clients on phones so... including many Androids.

"let alone basic features such as flagging messages."

Oh please... flagging messages was/is a typical outlook feature and is not relevant to the majority of people whom only use email on their phone as a temporary stop-gap. I find perfect local outlook syncing more important then many "exchange" accounts. At least when you flag a message on the desktop and sync your phone the message shows it flag!

"And the OS no longer supports CalDev calendars"

Which lacked one important feature (password encrypted logons) which is the probable reason why Nokia removed that feature altogether. Let's not forget that Mr. Elop killed off the entire Meego and Symbian workforce so adding new features (or improving existing features) to the OS had been compromised by the time the 808 got released!

Luckily there seemsto be a small skeleton crew at Accenture working on some minor tweaks and small improvements/bug-fixes for Symbian. But regretably most Symbian users don't expect much anymore.

This is PURE Elop's doing!

Anyway, out of the box and the few shortcomings not withstanding the 808 is a great device and it's a damn shame that the last remains of the last European native OS is left to die! The creators whom started Epoc all those years ago must be disgusted by all this!

It's filmed using a Samsung SGSIII >:->

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like