back to article Star Trek: The original computer game

Ah, the simple pleasures of the earliest computer games - and you don’t get much earlier than 1971. As Star Trek: Into Darkness warps onto UK cinema screens this weekend, we look back at not only the first attempt to bring the franchise to computer screens, but what was arguably one of the most popular, certainly the most …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Titus Aduxass
    Happy

Basic computer games, the book

I still have my copy of the first edition of David Ahl's book. It's how I learned to program back in the 70s. Which probably accounts for my er... peculiar coding style to this day :-)

1. Simon Harris
      Facepalm

Re: Basic computer games, the book

That reminds me...

I really should return that copy of 'More Basic Computer Games' to the school computer room library...

... it's only 33 years overdue!

2. CowardlyLion
    Linux

And still included in modern distros. Here on Fedora 17 for example install the "bsd-games" package and type 'trek'.

1. Tim Walker
      Linux

Arch too...

There's a bsd-games package in the Arch Linux "community" repo:

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/i686/bsd-games/

One "sudo pacman -S bsd-games" later, and I'll be back in the 70s... thanks for the "head-up"!

3. aui
    Happy

Perkin Elmer 3500 Trek

In 1981/2 we had a 6800-based Perkin Elmer 3500 datastation with hi-res monochorome graphics card at work. It came with several 'unofficial' games, one of which was Star Trek.

The disappointing thing about the game was the number of times the ship broke down, so I tinkered with the program to make the ship start with a realisitc health level of 1 (and no more) per system instead of a borderline flaky 0.

For some reason, whoever wrote our version decided that the ship's weapons, warp drive, etc, were continuously repaired, even beyond 100% functionality. However, their starting level of 0 meant that the random fault generator could render the game 'over' after your first warp into Klingon territory.

4. The Vociferous Time Waster
    Happy

Old BASIC games

1) Download RiscOS image for the Raspberry Pi (with BBC BASIC)

2) Type* in a whole lot of game listings harvested from game magazines of yesteryear

3) Post image of legacy game machine online

4) ...

5) Profit.

*By type I mean pay someone else, children for example, to type or perhaps debug the OCR output.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

From a time...

Where people still could use a bit of their own fantasy and imagination.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

I remember the Altair version. My dad must have typed that one as a keyboard validation test. I can also remember playing it under GCOS on a Honeywell DPS-8/47.

Aaah, memories.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Intel MDS-80 version

Blimey, this brought back memories.

In my first real job after graduating, I remember playing this on Intel MDS-80 development systems. I'm not sure if anyone remembers these, but they were hideously expensive (but rather useful) workstations, targeted for embedded development on Intel 8080 family chips.

I can still hear the "chunka-chunka" sound of the enormous 8-inch floppy drive loading up the game.

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/731/Intel-MDS-80-Microcomputer-Development-System/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Intel MDS-80 version

I also remember playing this on the old Intel MDS-80. Between games, I used it to write PL/M and Assembler code for the old single chip 8048s (1k of EEPROM, IIRC). I then used to single step the programs using 'In-circuit emulators'. A great time was had ....

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is why I still read this website

Every time I'm about to remove The Register from my RSS as being just a bunch of tabloid crap / climate denying nutjobs / arrogant self congratulatory **kers, they publish an article like this to keep me as a reader. Well done!

1. JonnyBravo

Re: This is why I still read this website

"climate-denying"

I don't think anyone doubts the climate exists..

9. big_D Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Fortran

I worked for an oil exploration company in 1980 as a summer job, whilst still at school. They had the Fortran version on the VMS 11/780 machines. That and the IM "phone" utility are what got into computing. There is nothing new in this world. ;-)

I played dungeon on CP/M and Apple, when I worked as a computer repairman after school in '82.

I download the BSD games on Linux as one of the first packages after a new install...

10. Spotfist
    Facepalm

Title

numberical miscaculating, RALLY???

11. buggane
    Happy

zx81

That took me back. The ZX81 release was by Silversoft, I think.

12. Kubla Cant
    Alien

The original computer game?

Not even near. When I read that part of the ancestry of Star Trek was a game called Space Wars, it reminded me that I'd read about an earlier game with a similar name. It seems that Spacewar! is no relation to Star Trek, but it's much, much earlier.

According to a "reliable source", Spacewar! was written in 1962, on a PDP-1 (I never knew there was such a computer, though it makes sense that DEC didn't start from number 8. Were there ever PDPs 2-7?)

While I'm writing, is "numberical" a word you made up?

13. Kimo

I played this on the Portland Public Schools mainframe in the early 80s. I recall it used a lot of paper.

14. gannett
    Happy

And the spin-offs ..

Blake's 7 anyone ? o-= becomes *-= with a few other string substitutions your in any universe you choose. Such were the blessing of src code distros. I have a terminal session stuck in a "Twisty maze of passages all alike" here on OSX, hints anyone ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Re: And the spin-offs ..

Shit - I wonder just how much we will all remember, after we are all dead and gone, a million or even a billion or perhaps even a trillion years from now?

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

" I have a terminal session stuck in a "Twisty maze of passages all alike" here on OSX, hints anyone ? "

Sounds like you're trying to debug a medium-sized Java application that has a delegate chain longer and more convoluted than the European Commission.

Control-C and re-write it in Intercal - it'll be quicker in the long run.

2. Chris 3

XYZZY?

3. BongoJoe

I have a terminal session stuck in a "Twisty maze of passages all alike" here on OSX, hints anyone ?

It took me months to realise that each of the wordings of the twisty passages were slghtly different depending on which node you were in in the maze.

Dungeon/Colossal Cave was sadly responsible for the obligitory maze in eveyr adventure game; even Myst. Grrr!!

15. TeaLeaf
    Happy

Just Played a Quick Game ...

On an IBM mainframe under VM/CMS using a version created in 1975. I have 4 slightly different versions on this (obviously work) machine. I believe these are written in IBM/370 assembler. Downloadable (with other VM/CMS games) from http://zvm.sru.edu/~DOWNLOAD/GAMES.VMARC.

16. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

Dumb Merican Question

Quick question - Tony twice used the word "numberic" or "numberical" in this article. Is that a British thing (like "colour" instead of "color") or a simple typo?

I'm not trying to be snarky, just wondering if I accidently learned something cultural today.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dumb Merican Question

I'll put money on you not being dumb, and that both are typos.

2. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Re: Dumb Merican Question

It's a common typo. The correct word is "numeric", but your fingers think "number" and helpfully insert the extra 'b' for you, which you then can't remove 'cos there's no edit function here.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

not sure if it was the exact same

But in my case, the Star Trek game was as on a terminal inside a major insurance company's head office (my mother's place of employment) while waiting for a lift home from school.

A year or so back, while discussing programming on early computers, my friend uncovered from his stash a book (whose name escapes me) on programming a Star Trek like space combat simulation (it went as close as it could without mentioning that TV series). Lot on the meta-programming of the simulation; it made the Star Fleet Battles board game look like a highly abstracted system.

18. Madeye
    Pint

Wandering off topic

Hah! That is the game I first played and loved in 1981 on a TRS-80 Model 1 (the one with the 32k RAM expansion you could beat someone to death with). I have often credited this game (and hacking it's internals) with setting me on course for a stellar career in software development. More lately I've been cursing it's name for setting me on course for a unrewarding two and a half decades listening to idiots explain why doing a slovenly, half-assed job is in whichever business' best interests at the time

That icon is a pint of bitter, right?

19. Rob Crawford

Memories

My first experience of a computer was playing this on a Sharp MZ80K in late 81 which one of our lecturers owned. Over the years I tried many other versions but always compared them (poorly) to that articular one

It had truly annoying music and we where told that it could not be removed as the program was written in machine code.

Needless to say after being told that it couldn't be done, sparked my interest in taking other peoples code apart, though sadly this was not one of the targets (as it took me over a year to get my first machine.)

Possibly I should hunt out a sharp emulator and finish the job.

20. Endymion
    Thumb Up

Forget that Star trek nonsense...

Star Raiders on the Atari 400/800 was the thing to have - I remember being quite blown away at the time (1980?). Amazng execution of the Star Wars gameplay, with a sort of 3d-ish cockpit view allowing you to blast the baddies in person. There was a cool star field effect, and a Star Wars-esque hyperspace effect as you moved from sector to sector on the Galactic Map.

Awesome stuff at the time.

1. Madeye
      Meh

Re: Forget that Star trek nonsense...

Star Raiders was a decent commercial stab at making an all-action version of the Star Trek game but was very different in character. You had photon torpedos but not phasers and generally you knew exactly where the klingons were. Consequently It lacked the tension and strategy of the original in favour of greater accessibility to the arcade generation. Still, it gave me a real thrill the first time I made Star Commander Class 1

21. Endymion

Re: Tension and strategy

No doubt waiting for a screen repaint over a 300baud modem or a teleprinter also heightened the apprehension/tension too!. When I used to play MUD on Essex Uni's DEC-10, us poor external users always hated Internal users running at 9600baud!.

Regards,

Alex

22. Mike Sallman
    Pint

I am so old

I (vaguely) remember playing a version in high school via modem and acoustic coupler to the mainframe at the local university and printed out on a line printer.

Now get off my lawn!

Beer... do I need a reason?

23. Stevie

Hmm

I played this at UEA on a 1903 running GEORGE-3 using one of three Tectronix VDUs (the computer centre was mainly Teletypes in those days).

In that environment the Job Description steering lines had been set up so that when you hit BREAK IN to drop out of the game the wretched program would intercept the command and declare ANTIMATTER PODS EXPLODE DUE TO BREAK IN - CONDITION PURPLE, locking you in for the duration. (SWON BITS BREA as I recall, but it has been 36 years).

A plan formed.

Everyone had a limited budget for online computer use, but should the mainframe be taken down while you were "working" your budget for the session would not be tallied, presumably because you had lost the work you were doing.

So.

Start game late at night after work finished, kill all enemies, press BREAK IN and let game idle itself into the maintenance window.

Worked like a charm.

24. Charles E

Almost my first computer game

I remember playing this on an early HP-3000 at my university when I was just a little kid, it must have been around 1973. I was pleased to see it was available on the Processor Tech SOL-20 computer I built from a kit in 1975. It was known as TREK-80, since it was ported to assembly language on the Intel 8080A processor. I remember being quite pleased to read in the manual that you could put a radio next to the computer, tune it to an empty channel, and the radio interference from the CPU would be picked up to make phaser sounds.

Here's a scan of the old TREK-80 manual, with a screen cap (a photo of the CRT screen).

http://www.dunnington.u-net.com/public/startrek/trk80.pdf

But I'm sure that wasn't the first computer game I ever played. I recall playing MoonWar on the PLATO IV system, long before the university got their HP-3000.

25. TheOldBear
    Boffin

Still have the source code for this around [ASR-33 paper tape] from a vintage 1972 port to DEC TOPS-10. Printing out a full galaxy map took a while

And I recall a version of the game ported to the HP 67/97 calculators [on six program cards, plus a data card]

26. The Grump
    Happy

>>>South

You are in the lobby of Starbase 314.

West

You are facing a door In the Starbase lobby. It has warning signs in Romulin - keep out.

West

You are in a darkened room. You may be eaten by a grue.

Wait

You hear footsteps approaching. You hear a horrible gurgling sound.

?

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Matuszek and Reynolds version was better.

28. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Steven Roper

Re: Such is my blind hatred for everything TREK...

And nothing of value was lost. Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Simon Harris
          FAIL

Re: Such is my blind hatred for everything TREK...

I guess you didn't work out how to configure your hosts file to ignore The Register as promised in your first post.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Signed overflow

On the Apple, you could exploit 16 bit signed overflow: convert energy into photon torpedoes - make enough torpedoes, and the energy it cost to do so overflowed from 32767 to -32786 (or more/less), and you got positive energy and positive torpedoes.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm surprised nobody's made a Javascript version for a browser

I'm surprised nobody's made a Javascript version for a browser.

(he said, waiting/hoping to be provided with a URL....)

1. Geoff May

Re: I'm surprised nobody's made a Javascript version for a browser

Google is your friend...

31. JohnG

I played trek in 1976 via a teletype on an IBM system at Exeter University's computer science department. The only bit I can remember now is where the game would suddenly announce "Yeoman Rand has spilled coffee on the command console" and dump you somewhere new. It may sound crap now but it was way better than "lunar lander" on a teletype.

32. ecofeco Silver badge
    Happy

Dammit Jim!

Fascinating. I forgot all about this game.

33. Irony Deficient

Anoraks ahoy!

Yup, this game was essentially my introduction to computing. My high school had two Teletypes and one CRT which were acoustically connected to the neighboring town’s high school’s HP 2000; it was much easier to get time on one of the Teletypes, since the CRT was practically the private reserve of the head of the computer club. In my case, the game (in HP BASIC) was called UFO, and it had the retreatable Klingons. I’m fairly sure that I’ve still got a paper tape listing of this game up in my attic. … Misty water-colored memories …

34. Brett Weaver
    Happy

IBM System /34 Anyone?

1981 on a System /34.. Used to print out a certificate when you finished.. Something like .. "Congratulations Captain Kirk you have killed <Random Number> of Klingons with an efficiency rating of NN."

Unless you were killed - when the certificate was quite abusive as I remember.

The competition to get your efficiency rating high was immense..

35. johnwerneken
    Thumb Up

we had something similar in 1966

On IBM 360-70, with starships, planets, gravity, missdle trajectories accurately displayed (as moving points of light / not much in the way of the now-obligatory graphics). We called it Space War.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like