back to article Student falsely IDed by Reddit as Boston bomber found dead

Sunil Tripathi, the 22 year-old Brown University philosophy student mistakenly identified as a suspect in the Boston bombings by amateur investigators on Reddit, has been found dead in the Providence River, his family has said. Sunil Tripathi Sunil Tripathi, center, in happier times "This last month has changed our lives …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. perlcat
          Black Helicopters

Re: Better left to the authorities

Tom 13's got a very good point. There are a LOT of innocent (or at least not proven guilty) people in jail because of faked results. We've descended a long way from Maimonides' ideal of letting a thousand guilty go free rather than imprison one innocent man. With predictable results.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reminds me of the vigilante group in the UK, was it Birmingham? That went on the hunt when local media revealed the address of a convicted paedophile.

They assaulted a paediatrician instead.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"the vigilante group"

No, it wasn't

"was it Birmingham?"

No, it wasn't

"That went on the hunt"

No, they didn't

"when local media revealed the address of a convicted paedophile"

No, they didn't

"They assaulted a paediatrician instead'

No, they didn't

Other than that yes, all correct.

P.S. You could've just googled it-> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4719364.stm

1. Oninoshiko
        Thumb Up

thumbs down?

AC here just step by step invalidated every major point of this post, and he gets thumbs downed for it?

I'm thumbs upping you. Good Job setting the record strait!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

BBC is reliable - official

Wow somebody citing the BBC on the Reg as a reliable source and getting voted up?

3. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

I heard the "burned down the paediatrician's surgery" version very recently in a TV or radio broadcast. Or maybe it was burned down their home, or just that they burned down a paediatrician, I'm not sure. That's good enough anyway, isn't it?

By the way, I must make an appointment with the pederast to see to my ingrowing toenail. Joke.

4. Pat Att

I think you're being a little harsh there. The BBC article you quote actually quotes the story appearing in this very organ - "An online magazine, The Register, also says that it was in Portsmouth that "dictionary-starved and enraged mobs attacked a paediatrician".

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Why being harsh, the rebuttals were all true.

The article was stating how various media outlets had got it completely wrong. If you ever come The Register for verified facts you're largely going to be disappointed (or avoid Andrew O's 'articles').

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vigilantes

"[....] users of Reddit, who had set up a /findbostonbombers forum to crowdsource the investigation."

Yeah, what could POSSIBLY go wrong?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lazy Fat Americans.

Also, the meme "Lazy Fat Americans" is crap too. The reason Americans are fat happened in the past thirty years with the introduction of GMO'd HFCS, none of these fucking health care / obamacare people address this, because they are FASCISTS!

Profit for corn syrup industry, drug companies, hospitals

We were not FAT in the 70's. It is the "new sugar" that is doing it, and I will admit IN CONJUNCTION to a lesser extent of the nanny state where kids don't play like they used to.

1. Esskay
      Facepalm

Re: Lazy Fat Americans.

Whilst the US's average intake of sugar being through the roof is no doubt contributing to obesity, it's got nothing to do with HFCS, GMO, or any other TLA's - glucose is glucose, and that's what makes you fat.

Other contributing factors might be:

- A complete lack of interest shown by most inhabitants to do any form of excercise

-A lack of nutritional education

-A diet incredibly high in processed foods, and extremely high sodium and fat content in foods.

-The low cost of aforementioned processed, high fat, high sugar foods and beverages, relegating them to the food of the lower classes (who make up most of the population)

Ironically, nationwide healthcare might actually give some people a wakeup call before it's too late - a low cost, regular check up can let people know how much damage they're doing *before* they need a quadruple heart bypass, or end up being found dead on the bog after trying to pass last night's big mac meal.

1. veti Silver badge
        Thumb Down

While I don't think GMO belongs in this account (the trend was well established long before that became a recognised TLA), HFCS does have a lot to answer for.

If you haven't gone shopping in a US supermarket, and looked closely at the labels on basically everything, you wouldn't believe how common the stuff is over there. It's not just in drinks and candy and cakes and things that you'd think of as sweet - it's also in bread and yogurt and FSM only knows what else. I've even heard of it being added to honey and other kinds of syrup. And if it's in there (so I've heard, although don't know how true it is), it screws up your eating patterns something fierce.

Sure, the fat and sodium and processed food do their bit too. But HFCS is probably the biggest *single* contributing factor.

2. Jaybus

Ummm...yes, glucose is glucose.. Of course the HF in HFCS is to indicate that it has a "high fructose" content, meaning enzymatic processing has been performed to break down naturally ocurring sucrose into a fructose-glucose mixture having more fructose than glucose. In other words, HFCS is one of the principle components of the "diet incredibly high in processed foods" you have listed as a contributing factor. The reason for the use of HFCS is quite simple. Liquid HFCS is much easier for robotic food processing machinery to work with thatn granular [sucrose] sugar. The slightest humidity tends to clump granular sugar.

1. DF118
          Meh

Uh huh, but I fail to see how that invalidates my point. HFCS is still just a symptom of the greater malaise. Crack on about it all you want. If you win that fight it's only a matter of time before the next bete-noir comes along. It's just a pity sugar is so damn tasty*.

* That was a quick and dirty way of bringing mammalian physiology into the equation.

2. Michael Strorm Silver badge

"The reason for the use of HFCS is quite simple. Liquid HFCS is much easier for robotic food processing machinery to work with thatn granular [sucrose] sugar. The slightest humidity tends to clump granular sugar."

If that was true, HFCS would be much more popular outside the US than it actually is. (AFAIK, Japan is the only other major market where it's used that significantly- around a quarter of sweetener consumption there).

The reason for the massive use of HFCS in the US is simple. The corn it's made from is massively subsidised by the US government, meaning the HFCS itself is in effect subsidised and cheaper than it would otherwise be. Sugar tariffs on imports are high, increasing the differential.

Obviously the sugar tariffs will be different elsewhere, and- while I'll admit to ignorance of the actual legal situation, I'm guessing that trade agreements would prohibit HFCS being sold outside the US (or at least outside the NAFTA region) at the same artificially cheap price that makes it popular there.

3. Jemma

Actually no. what it is at least to a fair degree is epigenetics and it goes like this...

Your grandparents are doing what they do and granny gets pregnant (insert futurama quote here). All goes well and the kid is born but its during the depression so theres not much food to be had so she & gramps were always hungry.

Your parent grows up as parents do and everything is again fine apart from an epigenetic switch has been flipped.

The way the following generation processes sugar is much different, they store fat much more readily and therefore you get the ameri-hutts blobbing round the place like motile hindenburgs (and about as likely to detonate).

This, coupled with the current American lardoculture gives rise to the Dennis Nedry-esque bloated man blobs that we know and loathe and has done so to a lesser extent in other western countries.

Another interesting possible epigenetic effect is the 9/11 syndrome. If mother was present at that event at a certain time in her pregnancy, third tri I think from memory - the resultant sproglet is much more likely to suffer from anxiety and changes in related hormone levels than others. Strangely it seems to affect the mothers the same way. Many more third tri pregnant women who had the joys of the full on 9/11 experience reported anxiety, than others in different stages of being knocked up.

Sometimes science is stranger than fiction...

2. DF118
      Facepalm

> It is the "new sugar" that is doing it

Oh for fuck's sake get a grip. Sugar is sugar, we're just eating more of it. I say "we" because the UK is equally afflicted. The situation isn't helped by several decades of the bullshit "eating fat makes you fat" gospel being preached by those who claim to know, and wholeheartedly adopted by the food industry who quite happily churn out "low fat" (i.e. high sugar) foods by the metric fuckton for us to pour down our throats.

3. graeme leggett Silver badge

High Fructose Corn Syrup is just fructose and glucose. And in a similar ratio to honey (about 55/45)

Profitably because it makes glucose syrup, which comes cheaply from Corn (Maize) , have a similar taste profile to sugar (sucrose). Sucrose when consumed is readily converted in the acidic stomach into its two components - glucose and fructose - in a 50/50 ratio.

Making large amounts of saccharide-laden drinks available at cheap prices, and then consuming then is the problem, not the specific carbohydrate profile.

1. GilbertFilbert

"Making large amounts of saccharide-laden drinks available at cheap prices, and then consuming then is the problem, not the specific carbohydrate profile."

The low price of HFCS makes the former possible, so it is valid to make an objection to this specific carbohydrate

1. DF118

The low price of HFCS compared to... what, exactly? Other sugar? Because sugar is already pretty much the cheapest food commodity you can buy. It's not really a valid objection because it heavily implies HFCS should be the chef blame carrier when it is not. It's just yet another symptom and going on about it as the food devil du jour does nothing more than distract from the real issue, which is that, as a society, we have allowed ourselves to become a bunch of fat lazy fucks beholden to all sorts of corporate interests, far from the least of which being profit-hungry food conglomerates.

1. tashammer

No, it's a good thing that obesity is an international epidemic in the West AND increasingly in the so-called developing countries - the fatter and unhealthier we get the quicker we will die off: Hopefully down to a population of about 10% of what we are now.

Hmm, greed feeds the need to feed as the need to compulsively feed breeds greed. (i,m getting too clever for my own good, sigh).

2. Tom 13

Re: low price of HFCS compared to... what, exactly?

The price established by the US government at the behest of the Louisiana sugar cartel.

One more government regulation to which the TEA party objects.

1. Esskay

Re: low price of HFCS compared to... what, exactly?

So you think the cartel will suddenly stop price fixing when government regulation is removed?!

There's no doubt the government makes decisions in the interest of the people lining their pockets, but at least there's a modicum of accountability if people make enough noise. Without that regulation in place, the cartels will be able to do whatever they want, and set prices as high as they want - thanks to the TEA party.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

1. DF118
      Stop

Re: Spec Ops DISASTER?

Whereas your comment seems highly speculative and unhelpful. Ironic given the subject matter of the story at hand, but par for the course with you.

5. Mark Simon

This is why …

… a proper legal system includes the presumption of innocence, and must give the benefit of the doubt to the accused, no matter how “obvious” his guilt appears. That the crime is more horrific is no excuse; indeed, it makes it more important to nail the true culprit rather than take the easy option of settling on the first likely suspect.

This can be frustrating, and appear too easy on the guilty party, but what is the point of justice if it doesn’t protect the innocent?

The problem with crowd sourcing, and that includes gung-ho media reports, is that can bypass all the legal procedures developed to minimise this.

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: This is why …

However, the police (with some justification) and the court system (with some lesser justification) have become so untrustworthy in the minds of the masses that due process, Rule of Law, and presumption of innocence beyond all reasonable doubt are simply euphemisms for "cover-up" to many people. Allegations are all that is needed to ruin a life* - that isn't new, but the effect propagates more easily through the use of modern communications.

*I'm not referring to Sunil here - however, it could just as easily have been a total innocent that was fingered by the mob (literal meaning, not Mafia).

6. zanto
    Facepalm

safety mechanism

something like a captcha is required if the user is yank. but instead of the twisted alpha-numerals, it should be a question on geography or current affairs.

something like:

is the earth round?

if english is the language spoken in America, what language is spoken in England?

who is the president of England? (trick questions allowed)

do french fries come from France?

1. Daniel B.
      Trollface

Easier

- Do you watch Fox News (and believe the stuff they show)?

- Is Obama a secret Muslim/Communist/whatever?

- Do you think the theory of Evolution is incorrect?

That should shave away a lot of loons. Even filtering out posts for "MSM", "Obamacare" and similar gems would keep 'em at bay.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

" set up a /findbostonbombers forum to crowdsource the investigation "

Vigilantism, too many hotheads and no experience, not a good mix. Leave the sluething to those who have detachment and experience in solving crime.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Give Reddit a fine.

Why is Reddit not given a hefty fine for this?

Although it is its users that post the info, there are moderators that didn't do their job. If crowdsourced vigilantism should AT ALL be legal, then it has to be regulated with rules like it being illegal to post some 'suspects' identifying info.

In most places it is illegal for a newspaper to do it (defamation of character), it should be no different for online media like Reddit.

We have a police and court system to investigate and convict. The police is trained to investigate WITH DISGRESSION, a bunch of juvenile redditors are NOT and this is the result.

I hope his family sues the fuck out of Reddit.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Give Reddit a fine.

Well, perhaps in future the local investigating authorities will consider openly embedding one of their own as a 'moderator'. After events such as the Boston bombing, police forces always appeal to the public for any leads or sightings, and sites like Reddit have structures that can aid in that- it seems that they just needed a little guidance.

Similarly, file hosting sites have an infrastructure that can aid investigations, as people can upload any video footage they took of/around an incident for the benefit of official investigators.

Just an idea. Thoughts?

9. Peter Galbavy
    Thumb Down

burn the witch

"Crowdsourcing" eh?

No, it's hiding a vendetta in a crowd. Slightly different thing. And it's been going on probably as long as societies have existed and will continue to do so.

10. Not Fred31

Really?

"Tripathi's case showed the dangers of crowdsourcing investigations of this type, "

No shit, sherlock!

11. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

I hope that every single idiot who harassed his family or friends as a result of such misinformation gets prosecuted under the full force of the law. Sadly, I suspect that there are few laws applicable to punishing such unpleasant portions of society, and if there are they are probably poorly enforced, leaving civil action as the only recourse for the victims.

12. Melzeebub92
    Headmaster

Lack of facts

The issue that the redditors had was that they did not see a picture of the men who were everntually taken in. The pictures with the arrested men were not released until the day they were arrested.

Maybe if they had been shown the pictures involving those men perhaps they would have flagged them. So I think it is important to remember that you can only discover what is there not what isn't.

13. Terry 6 Silver badge
    WTF?

Rumour Mill

"Crowdsourcing" information about current events is no more than chasing after rumours. And if they weren't chasing round the town with pitchforks etc. looking for the guy, well that might be more to do with what kind of person sits in front of a screen looking for news on Reddit.......

14. Jemma

It constantly amazes me...

How a nation filled to the brim with total and utter fsckwits and automatic weapons hasn't blown itself out of existence years ago!

I mean seriously, the fsb tell you he's a terrorist and what do you do? Tell him not to be a naughty boy (and btw theres some interesting plastic stuff in that cupboard, no, the one next to it....) and leave him to simmer for a couple of years. UK has Dunblane and anything more dangerous than a kids longbow is banned instantaneously - some kid does a Joachim Pieper on 5 year olds, and the US keeps the guns and gives the little sweeties body armour and the teachers even more guns. The only thing stupider is showing TW: Children of Earth and then wondering why every stressed parent in BBC coverage are doing 'peter capaldis' left right and abandoned quarries...

Almost as bright as the farmer in the UK who sold a half ton of ammonium nitrate to a total stranger. Can you guess what happened yet?

As to the people who say hounding someone cant cause a suicide - two names off the top of my head - Tempest Smith & Lucy Meadows, Im sure I could find many more. Still so damn sure now?

Commiserations to the family but I'll tell you this now I wouldnt want to be one of the reddidiots right now...

And FYI for british citizens - should you be getting the idea into your head to do something similar causing by harassment or other means someones suicide is an offense under the 1961 suicide act. I dont know the American legal position on it.

Kind of unrelated. IF YOU CANT EVEN MANAGE COHERENT ENGLISH dont berate people for their opinions, it just makes you look like an ill educated 12 year old who needs their Ritalin increased.

15. Colin Miller

privacy...

Shouldn't you blank out the faces of the two friends in the photo?

16. Dropper
    FAIL

Lazy Reporters

One of the problems this issue highlighted was the fact that too much of the News media does pretty much nothing to verify information. You expect that from tabloids and the like, but when mainstream news networks and actual newspapers start skimping on little things like verifying sources or verifying the credentials of so-called experts, you run into little things like accusing completely innocent people of terrorism.

And sure, while it's bad that a bunch of twitter/reddit dweebs decided they can identify people who plant bombs based on the colour of their hats, suspiciously carrying a backpack to an all-day event or surreptitiously not looking at a 3-4 hour race for a minute or two.. the worst part is several "news" organisations decided this idle speculation amounted to proof that two suspects had been identified by the police and FBI. Oh I know several people claimed to have heard the names on police scanners.. so of course there's no choice but to use the general rule "if someone says something on the internet that makes it true". Hardly anyone these days looks to self-grandiose themselves on a twitter twat feed or forum.

Looking at the other junk these people submitted.. clues that someone might be a terrorist apparently includes running away from explosions, walking down a street lined with shops in groups of one or more, wearing red, wearing black, listening to an iPod, not listening to an iPod.. and who knows. Perhaps owning a dog, eating fish on Fridays or carrying a phone in your right trouser pocket is also suspect.

17. MrEee
    Thumb Up

Crowd-sourced Investigation?

Wasn't that just called a lynch mob in the fine days of yore? Of course, 'crowd-sourced investigation' sounds much more technically savvy and I'm sure will lead to more accurate mob justice.

18. Ken Darling

Identify yourself

"We cannot begin to know what you're going through and for that we are truly sorry."

Show your remorse by identifying yourself. Perhaps than you may have a better idea of what a which-hunt feels like.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.