back to article Bill Gates offends Koreans after sticking hand down trousers

Bill Gates has managed to offend the whole of South Korea after brazenly breaking the country's strict but unwritten handshake rules. He greeted female President Geun Hye Park with the customary one-handed palm press, but neglected to remove his other hand from his trouser pocket. Using one mitt with the other stuffed in a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Psyx

Re: Maybe @psyx

"Surely someone should have said to him, when greeting in South Korea you should use both hands or something like that? doesn't the South Korean president have advisors who are there to ensure visits go well?"

Maybe they assumed that such a pivotal figure already had someone to tell HIM that, or already had manners?

To me it comes back to it being the visitor's role when visiting someone important in a formal setting to bother reading a guide to etiquette. It's not hard.

"they should respect our culture as much as we would respect theirs when we visit their country..."

I'm not about to let the manners or attitude of a person being rude affect my manners towards anyone else in the world, though. One can't say "It should be fine to not respect other people's customs because some people don't respect mine".

1. Alfred

Re: Maybe

I did not know that it was an important part of U.S. culture to shake hands with one hand in your pocket. Learn something every day.

1. hayseed

Re: Maybe

No, not really. Bill Gates was just being a geek.

2. Hungry Sean
        Thumb Down

@Lars G

"We in the West have to be tolerant in this age of multiculturalism and have to bend over backwards to accommodate every 'johnny foreigners' foibles."

Funny, on my only visit to Seoul, I was amazed at how friendly and accommodating the South Korean people were. My friend and I visited some hole in the wall restaurants and the owners went out of their way to help us, even though they spoke no English and we spoke no Korean.

The South Korean government even has instituted international cabs to bend over backwards and accommodate Johnny Foreigner-- these are specially licensed cabs whose drivers are required to be proficient in one or more foreign languages and are required by law to give the best rates to their customers.

Maybe you ought to take a peek out from under your bridge and visit some places. It's a big world out there, and many of the people in it are kind and worth knowing.

1. ian 22
          Thumb Up

@Hungry Sean Re: @Lars G

Thanks, good to know. The impression I'd had of the Koreans was derived from the press (NOT the Daily Fail!) and they seemed the most xenophobic lot in existence. Not that I could blame them, having been enslaved by the Japanese for much of the 20th century.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

'twas an itch

He had an itch and needed a scratch.

Come on guys, how many times do you get an itch and need to readjust or have a scratch and your sub-conscience kicks in and without thinking......

Until you hear someone yell, 'stop scratching your balls!'

1. Wilseus
        Go

scratching your balls!

...or "playing pocket billiards" as my ex used to call it!

2. Pete 2 Silver badge

Eric Pode got it right

> He had an itch and needed a scratch.

One of The Burkiss Way's more memorable passages had Mr Croydon being asked:

"Are you feeling up to it?" which brought the reply

"Naaahh, I was only scratching my leg"

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. andy 45

Re: So?

Come on, it's pretty slack and very informal to shake anyone's hand with the other in your pocket -- especially in the world of business.

It just shows contempt.

2. csumpi
        WTF?

Don't South Koreans have more important things to be worried about? Like how about that bubbling shit bucket just north of them?

3. h3

If you are working with high voltage stuff keeping one hand in your pocket might save your life.

Subconsciously training yourself to do it is absolutely necessary.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: He DOES feel superior

Chances are that he's wealthier.

1. Bush_rat

That title is VERY misleading...

It should say "Republic of Korea"

1. Platelet

Re: That title is VERY misleading...

or

Worst Korea

2. Khaptain Silver badge
    Happy

67 Billion Reasons

It is easy to understand why one could easilly make such a faux pas when 67 Billion little devils push you into the trap. I doubt that he disrespects the Koreans I presume that is just his normal behaviour he must be walking about in a permanent high..

Now if someone would provide me with even half of his bank account I would be happy to do some testing to see whether or not I fall into the same pot.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 67 Billion Reasons

You spelled "billion" wrong. It's "beelion" on this web site. Or so it seems.

1. Lionel Baden
        Mushroom

~Wow 67 BeeLions !!!

i would care about putting a hand in my pocket if i had 67 flying BeeLions I would be planning world domination !!!!

2. ian 22

If I had 67 Beelion in my pocket, I'd keep my hand in. Bloody yoinkers are everywhere.

3. Bob Vistakin
    Unhappy

Steve Blamer offends millions of Windows users

By sticking unusable new Windows "upgrade" down their throats, too.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: Steve Blamer offends millions of Windows users

You are Eadon and I claim my £5

1. Bob Vistakin
        Happy

Nah, Eadon would have said welcome to Microsofts new R&D dept, where Blamer shoved his hand down the back of his trousers, rummaged, squeezed and grunted for a while before popping out a Windows 8 handset and a puppet, both of which he then sent over to Nokia telling them to get on with it.

:-)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've always had the feeling, when booting windows, that it is shaking hands with me with one hand in its pocket.

4. graeme leggett Silver badge

could have been worse

he could have had his hand down the front of his pants as the headline implied. Hey! that actually works for both sides of the Atlantic.

1. Shasta McNasty
      Meh

Re: could have been worse

People need to lighten up. He left his hand in his pocket when greeting someone. I doubt it was maliciously done, even if the media is reporting it as if he's pulled down his trousers and shat on the floor.

Maybe he was just playing pocket billiards and was struggling with a tricky pink?

1. davtom
        WTF?

If someone had their other hand in their pants when they were shaking my hand, I certainly wouldn't like it.

Other hand in trouser pockets, on the other hand, would present me with no concerns.

Well, seeing as this is a UK site...

1. Ian Yates
          Coat

It would also be slightly rude if they had both hands in their pockets

2. Bob Vistakin
        Holmes

Ahem - you mean pulled down his trousers and excreted a Windows 8 handset on the floor. But then again, how would anyone tell the difference?

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Flugal

Then the south Koreans need to understand (and the majority may well do) that when a non South Korean does it, it is NOT considered rude.

Bill does far more good than harm with his position and wealth. I guess tall poppy syndrome is why some want to criticise him for a faux pas any westerner there could have made.

1. Raumkraut

Rude is as rude does

You're meeting the president of a country (which happens to be very favourable toward the company which is the source of your staggering wealth), and you either don't seek, or ignore, any advice about polite protocol? I'd most certainly call that rude, and arrogant to boot.

Should you invite someone from Elbonia to dinner, he may throw mud at your wife, fart in your face, and dry hump your daughter. If that's just a normal welcome in Elbonia, surely it couldn't be considered rude, right?

1. tkioz
        Pint

Re: Rude is as rude does

Social protocol is a minefield mate, even if he was taking lessons it's likely they only covered the 'big' stuff, not how one holds themselves while talking, or where you place your other hand during a handshake.

Honestly the whole thing reads like a slow news day beat up.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. AndrueC Silver badge
          Joke

Re: Rude is as rude does

not how one holds themselves while talking

Most cultures would frown upon someone 'holding themselves' while talking :D

2. Terry 6 Silver badge
      FAIL

Manners

Actually, greeting anyone where you use a formal hand-shake does sort of imply you don't just slouch in with your hand in your pocket like some grouchy teeneager.

It's disrespectful whoever you are meeting, Korea or not.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

round Dave's for a BBQ and a beer or two, definitely not rude.

Meeting a head of state, even if not rude, is decidedly inconsiderate - implies lack of attention as much as lack of attention to detail.

7. Dr Scrum Master
    WTF?

HFMD

Never mind Gates' hand, what about the Indian Foreign Minister's shoes?!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He's not a geek, he's a dork!

Dollar Bill has been offending consumers worldwide for the past 25 years. Why not offend everyone he can? Oh wait, he does. Never mind.

9. Gordon Pryra

Its not a mistake

He has done it before, as mentioned in the article. Do you really think someone of his status and among these people of all people, he did not know what he is doing?

Maybe he feels no disrespect, but he was telling her it was a meeting of equals.

Same old power trip

Then again, who gives a monkeys? He may have billions and the ability to fill a bedroom with the worlds top 100 women, but hes still a dork with glasses.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. JDX Gold badge

Re: Its not a mistake

Maybe he doesn't think it's right he should kow-tow to other's customs, that is hardly an unusual view amongst nerds - as is general contempt for social convention.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Its not a mistake

I wish he would keep his hand in front of his face as I am so fed up with it.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about our Queen?

Can the French president plant a peck on her cheeks when he comes calling? After all, its in their culture. The whole Royalty sucking class will be up in arms, trigerring another Anglo-French war. Royal cheeks (chicks?) are more valuable than Bill gates' Dollars?

Protocol, what protocol?

Get over it, guys.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What about our Queen?

Thankfully it was not the ex Italian president. Just think what might have happened... on second thoughts, don't go there!

2. mike2R

Re: What about our Queen?

Didn't Michelle Obama commit some faux pas with the queen? Which was a handy way of identifying people who enjoy getting upset over fuck all.

11. Andrew Moore
    Coat

He was shaking hands...

...Grabnad Style.

12. adnim
    Joke

Perhaps

he was feeling a little cocky.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wasn't aware of this particular social nicetie, but would automatically remove my hand from my pocket when greeting someone anyway.

But then USAians do seem a little less formal in their greetings then those of us on this side of the pond and I wouldn't neccessarily assume they were being disrespectful if they didn't.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

USians still haven't learned to eat properly..... I've not met one who knows how to use a knife and fork at the same time...

Give them time, they are a new nation, eventually they will realise they need to be polite... maybe...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"USians still haven't learned to eat properly..... I've not met one who knows how to use a knife and fork at the same time..."

You've never been to the south then I take it? It's too bad all everyone sees is the new USA of MacDonalds double speak (IOW, complete and utter BS).

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like