back to article ... time machine. Iranian Dr Who claims he invented a ...

Not content with letting North Korea get all the “we're sooooo bad” headlines this week, fellow rogue nation Iran has let it be known one of its resident boffins has invented a time machine. And then deleted the story in state-run media that brought the world news of the gadget. The “time machine” in question wasn't of the “ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Paul 75

I'd like to know how they prove...

...it is accurate to 98% when things in the future have not happened yet :)

1. Growly Snuffle Bunny
      WTF?

98% ?

If it's a time-machine then surely it would be 100% accurate?

1. Ken 16 Silver badge
        Alien

Re: 98% ?

or at least should be able to get most of the blueprints for a future time machine which is.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

It's a bloody horoscope machine.

We saw a palm-reading machine in an amusement arcade in the 1970s. I think my Dad and I had a go on it. We each got a small neatly pre-printed card with our fortune told on it, as well as the card numbers 28 and 29 - or something like that - they hadn't shuffled the deck, they apparently just came out in number order.

So, the West does already have this technology.

Fortune-telling is considered naughty in Christianity and in bible Judaism because I suppose you're supposed to get the future told to you by God's authorised prophet. Islam in the present time is a non-prophet religion and iN some Islamic thought God has already decided what the future will be, but I don't know if it is considered to be legitimately available. For that matter, weather forecasting comes to mind. Jesus said something about that and he seemed to think it was O.K. but doesn't tell you when the Second Coming is.

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Re: It's a bloody horoscope machine.

"For that matter, weather forecasting comes to mind. Jesus said something about that and he seemed to think it was O.K. but doesn't tell you when the Second Coming is."

Or if it will rain in Swindon next Tuesday.

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Swindon?

I don't know if there's a particular problem with Swindon's weather, but, try http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/

Seems to be the goods (for the United Kingdom).

3. BorkedAgain
    Meh

Meh.

If they'd pulled the story before it was published I'd have been impressed.

1. David Pollard
      Boffin

Re: Meh.

A bit of the past always tunnels through.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. sam_leivers

I have something similar that lets me see 7 years into the future. It's a pair of glasses which give me 2020 vision! :)

1. Red Bren

@sam_leivers

Can you get the cricket scores? I want to know who wins the 20202020...

6. Moonshine
    Happy

"It's the size of a PC"

Does it actually need to be? I've started a Raspberry PI project for this already.

7. Cameron Colley

You' re just seeing future echos.

So we know that the time machine has "will have going to have happened" happened but it hasn't yet happened happened.

1. Amorous Cowherder
      Happy

Re: You' re just seeing future echos.

"So what is it?"

8. Bill Fresher

Error

Sounds like they might have made a sign error. Probably wiped the story once they realised they were looking 5 years back in time rather than 5 years forward.

Oh well. Good effort.

9. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Cost/Benefit Analysis

...Iran spent just $US400,000 or $500,000...the USA, the story says has spent 50 years...[and]...about $10bn ...

I feel compelled to mock the cost overruns on both the Iranian and US projects. I have a proven and competitive product that will get the job done at least as well. Get 'em while they're hot!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only 5 years?

Surely if you cracked time travel you've not got a time limit, if you hadn't it is however a reasonable amount of time to make reasonable guesses about the future that sound plausible.

This subject always makes me think of this cartoon:

http://www.xkcd.com/716

Explains the blinding headaches and unexplained bumps on the head I keep getting!

1. jubtastic1

Re: Only 5 years?

I think you read that comic wrong, note the bloody baseball bat in the last frame and hover text.

11. jai

Paycheck

Sounds like he did a Ben Affleck - built a time machine, then looked into the future, found that the future is a disaster as a result of the time machine itself, so then gave himself the tools to destroy the time machine, thereby saving humanity, but also giving himself a winning lottery ticket in the process.

that's the only logical explaination for why the news of the discovery so suddenly vanished, isn't it?

12. El Andy

So the Persians have a time machine eh? Does it involve the Sands of Time by any chance?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Muslims have had a time machine for a long time, its called Islam. Wherever its brought it instantly transforms everyone back to the 6th century.

14. Jan Boonen

Israel has a time machine on the nucleair bomb of Iran though

Wel, a very bad one, it is predicting for more then two decades that Iran will have a nucleair bomb in the next 6 or 9 months or two year, it depends on who knows what, but the predictions keep coming, and the media keeps believing it. Ha Ha Ha Ha indeed.

15. Trustme

Apparently all the news is NOT fit to print....

The story got pulled because every possible future they looked at ended with "We're screwed"...

16. Rob Crawford

Questions questions

If it works (why am I saying if ?) then they can quite easily speculate on the financial markets and within a short period buy the entire world

Also if they can only see 5 years into the future then they could view a output of time machine which is placed 5 years in the future thereby having a 10 year view (repeat process ad nauseum)

Alternatively they could look into the future and see how to build a better time machine.

Personally I am glad that I have typed less shite here than the Iranians managed with the original story

17. Ken 16 Silver badge
    Trollface

Why bother to post the details in the first place?

Since they could see they were going to take them down later?

18. Fink-Nottle
    Facepalm

Oooh, my aching brain.

'Iranian scientist Ali Razeghi doesn't pop up in search engine results. But Ali Razeghi does ...'

19. The_Regulator
    Mushroom

The Infidels Will Pay Thanks To My Time Machine!!

I will go to the future and see what they do then I will blow themmmmmmm!!!

ahaha, they need to move the iranian terrorizers to south korea and move the south koreans somewhere else then let the north koreans and iranians fight it out for dominance of the worlds dumbest states!!

Nukeeeeeeeeeeeeee

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shame on you El Reg.

Talk about propaganda.

Anyone reading that page can clearly see it's talking about a system which does stats analysis, and which according to the 'inventor' has shown itself to be 98% accurate in the predictions it makes.

I wonder if a British company used the term "time machine" to describe something that had actually nothing to do with travelling through time, whether this would have been reported in this way? Or maybe an American company... maybe I should go and look up how you all took the news that Apple were calling their backup solution "time machine"?

This article appears to have no other purpose than to allow people to take the piss out of Iran, which would be fair enough, but by making up the thing you're taking the piss of them about, all you're really doing is taking the piss out of your site and members.

21. John Savard

Weather

This is Iran, where they banned weather forecasts on the TV, because only God can see the future. So it is the last place I would have expected a story like this to come from. Russia is full of silly-season stories like this, on the other hand.

22. cortland

The problem

<p>

with a time machine of the sort claimed here is that it takes so much work that by the time you get the info -- you're THERE.</p>

<p>

Tick Tock Hollyhock, etc.</p>

<p>

&nbsp;</p>

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like