back to article Outages plague Hotmail and Outlook users

Microsoft's spanking new Outlook.com and creaking Hotmail service are experiencing prolonged outages around the world. Hotmail and Outlook.com users are complaining they are either unable to access email or unable to see all their email messages. The problem seems to have initially affected cloud storage service SkyDrive, too …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Cipher
      Mushroom

Re: hotmail/outlook.com works fine to me

RT tablet inscribed:

"It is ridiculous how this web page is anti-microsoft."

Maybe this has something to do with it:

Catastrophic Microsoft auto updates of 2012

https://www.infoworld.com/slideshow/82741/5-microsoft-windows-automatic-updates-hell-211180

5 major patch fails in one year.

2. Grikath Silver badge

El Reg is not necessarily anti-Microsoft, but rather anti-Establishment, as their motto makes quite clear.

Commentards come in several flavours of Fanboi-ism depending on the subject, ranging from level-headed to outright pitchfork-and-torches fanatics.

On occasion we get shocked to the core when someone is actually knowledgeable in the field an article is about, and we all have to get out of our basements to take a cold shower ( which incidentally, according to our Mum, does not count towards our monthly shower quotum.. NOT FAIR!!)

/tongueincheek

1. GBL Initialiser
        Windows

@Grikath

Yep, one can only surmise that people are so sensitive to criticism about their chosen company that the articles seem, to them, to be worse than those about other corps.

Additionally, a number of commentards accuse El Reg of being in Microsoft's pocket. So there you have it, El Reg is both anti-Microsoft & pro-Microsoft at the same time. The commentards have spoken!

1. ItsNotMe
    Devil

All I can say is...

...thank goodness this has never happened to any other cloud based e-mail system.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All I can say is...

It's just another reason to stick with the old client-server model!

:-)

2. tempemeaty
    Joke

I give to Ballmer the Native American name "Crashing Cloud"

I hope Microsoft gets a handle on their cloud soon because in the last few weeks they have had an unusual number of outages for such.

1. Euripides Pants Silver badge

Re: I give to Ballmer the Native American name "Crashing Cloud"

"Dances with Monkeys" would be more appropriate.

3. Azzy

The message is clear - Do not use microsoft for communication

They've borked hotmail several times, forced some hotmail users to switch to outlook to conform with their mad vision of the future.

They're pulling the rug out from under messenger, just to force people to another product of theirs.

In both cases, they're forcing people to use their newer, less desirable product, just to get people onto the new product... Actually, they are doing much the same thing with desktop windows and TIFKaM....

So maybe the message is "Don't use Microsoft, for anything, because they'll shaft you whenever their C-suite has a "vision of the future".

4. Levente Szileszky
    FAIL

Oh noes, another Microsoft service outage...business as usual.

Let me reiterate what I wrote recently (when *another* outage happened, IIRC on Azure): anyone willing to put his critical communication services on a Microsoft-run cloud platform is out his mind and deserves these frequent and hours-long blackouts, period.

5. itzman
    FAIL

No let nme see, if I were a malicious hacker...

Would I hit a small mail service with a few hundred customers, or the biggest baddest most corporate load of 'cloud services' in the world

Godaddy. Microsoft.

yep.

6. The_Regulator

Fine for me

No email outage here. If you would like google sending you targeted ads and scanning your personal email go ahead and make the switch to Gmail.

Love the rhetoric ElReg, how does most every story here become a hate on Microsoft story...are you funded by google or something?????

1. Should b Working
      Meh

Re: Fine for me

I use multiple email services, mostly so I don't have all my eggs in one basket. They all have the pros and cons. They all go down occasionally.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fine for me

"are you funded by google or something?????"

Are you funded by Microsoft or something?????

7. IT Hack
    Pint

Marketing wankery

High availability isn't just a phrase...

Nice pint while watching the bean counters continue cocking things up

8. This post has been deleted by a moderator

9. Mss'ty

How about:

Having invalidated ALL of my Hotmail accounts and forcing me to have to go in and re-validate ALL of them and assign new passwords today?? I'm sure that puts a strain on their servers if there's a significant number of us. (What are the odds that my 6 accounts were the only ones?)

ALL of them used different, complex passwords yet MS claims that they had ALL been compromised and required re-validation and account recovery. Give me a D**ned break!!! They have an issue that they aren't publicizing.

1. Roo
      Stop

Re: How about:

Ah, there's no way back from that. It's probably a skiddie brute-forcing your account. That isn't fixable in Microsoft land, you will have to reset your password every time you want to access your accounts, and hope the skiddie hasn't locked them out before you get to log in after reset. Best of luck with that.

1. Mss'ty

Re: How about:

That's 6 entirely separate Hotmail accounts with very different email names and passwords.

One used only for Friends

One used only for Family

One used only for commercial exchanges

One used only for online banking

One used only for special interest groups and charities

One used only for signing up to blogs like this ;-)

All 6 were locked out when I tried to check them yesterday with MS forcing me to have to re-verify and put new passwords on them. Coincidence is highly unlikely.

I use Hotmail as well as Gmail in much the same fashion.

10. tonyyaman
    Thumb Down

my outlook account has not worked for over a week now

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019