back to article Reg readers brew up the ultimate cuppa

We're one step closer today to defining just what constitutes the ultimate cuppa as our reader poll results show a definite leaning towards broadly classic tea-brewing methodology. Mug with our Vulture logo For those of you who missed the last installment of our probe into the perfect cha experience - presumably because you …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. frank ly

re. "... some sort of elite tasting team and bacon sarnies."

I'll work for free and I'll wash up afterwards. (I used to play Frontier Elite, I have good taste and I've eaten many bacon sarnies).

2. Mondo the Magnificent
    Devil

Tea can be greatly improved with....

an accompaniment comprising of a bacon sandwich...

1. Elmer Phud
      Pint

Re: Tea can be greatly improved with....

There are loads of pics of bacon sarnies all over the place today - something about them being bad for you (I thought this came out years back) BUT these pics of bacon sarnies make me salivate while a background taste of tea brews in my mind as well.

Wrong container (though it's been known) but I'll raise a mug to you.

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: Tea can be greatly improved with....

Tea and bacon sarnies go together like smack and Jack Daniels - and just as more-ish!

3. Mostly_Harmless Silver badge
    Boffin

Bovine Mammary Fluid

Brewing in the drinking vessel - add milk after brewing (otherwise the brewing process is compromised)

Brewing in a pot - add milk to drinking vessel before pouring tea in (no stirring required)

4. Locky

To confuse things, masala chai

1 inch of ginger, chopped fine

1/3rd cinnamon stick

2 cardamon pods

4 cloves

6 black pepper corns

Crush them all up in a pestle & mortar

Add mixture to 1/2 mug water, 1 mug of semi skimmed milk, 2 sugars and 1/2 teaspoon of loose indian tea

Heat until the milky tea starts to boil over, then lower the heat to a simmer. Repeat 4 times

Strain

Drink, and wait for an English batting collapse

1. edge_e
      WTF?

Re: To confuse things, masala chai

see icon

1. Amraj
        Thumb Up

Every english person I have ever made Masala Chai for instantly melts into my hands and recognises me as a Tea God!

I reckon if this get thrown into the mix, then it will definately be up there in the rankings.

2. Simon Round
      Joke

@ Locky

Away with you this instant. We'll have none of these heathen ways in here. Thanks you very much.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Psyx
        Pint

Order a Nan?

That's a bit rude.

I always *ask* mine if I can have a cup of tea.

4. TeeCee Gold badge

Yes but.

We need to keep sight of the original concept here, which was to come up with the ideal mug of tea to accompany a bacon buttie.

I just had an attack of the dry heaves thinking about that with bacon.

5. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      Coat

I believe this is yours.

5. Silverburn
    Happy

Critical fail

It's not tea until it's got at least six sugars in it, and I'm bouncing off the walls for an hour afterwards.

And semi-skimmed milk??? Good lord, no. Full fat please, with the "straight from the cow" cream-on-top version preferred.

1. Z-Eden
      Thumb Down

Re: Critical fail

Sugar in tea, What!? Philistine

1. Silverburn
        Thumb Up

Re: Critical fail

Not just sugar...*lots* of sugar.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nearly right. Add another 10 minutes onto brewing time so that it is properly stewed and you're there. And for gods sake ... never try using that disgusting earl grey stuff, make sure it is English Breakfast or PG Tips.

7. nimster
    Headmaster

The land where tea comes from

India and China mostly - well a grown up cup of tea will include a few seeds of cardamom or a few grains of cinnamon to enhance flavour. Cinnamon in particular adds to the chill-out factor. Add either of these while brewing the tea and then filter them out when pouring.

1. LPF
      Thumb Down

Re: The land where tea comes from

"a few seeds of cardamom or a few grains of cinnamon to enhance flavour." I'm litterally weeping in the office, I hope your happy :(

8. ukgnome
    Thumb Up

infuse not mash!

Tea needs to be a golden honey colour - none of this bag mashing malarkey. Then you may add whatever other things you need.

If you must put milk in it then only full fat milk will do. I simply don't want to hear about green or red top milk. If it doesn't have a silver top then it's not milk. (or blue top for you supermarket buyers)

And by Jove, only silver spoon granulated sugar if you require sweetness.

1. Psyx
      Stop

Re: infuse not mash!

"And by Jove, only silver spoon granulated sugar if you require sweetness."

Actually, fruit sugar is nicer, if we're being picky.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> Tea format: Teabag

Seditious lies. Loose tea is superior tea!

Also, strictly speaking the article is about about Indian tea, if you prepare most Chinese tea in the same manner will get nothing but hot milky water.

/mines the one with the tin of Oolong and the strainer.

10. Goldmember

Where can I find...

...some of those El Reg branded tea bags in the picture? I don't drink the stuff (coffee all the way - and yes, I know that statement will probably trigger a 1 month ban), I'd just like to have some sat around because they look cool.

1. Simon Round
      Joke

Re: Where can I find...

@ Goldmember

You seriously think you'll only get a 1 month ban. Oh Dear!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Where can I find...

I am especially intrigued by the drop shadow on the tag, which implies an unusually expensive printing process for this type of application. It must be quality tea, indeed!

11. Samuel Penn

Boiling water a necessity

Semi-skimmed milk first, any form of "builder's tea" (Tetley/PG), about 10 seconds of brewing, though the water must be actually boiling hot from a proper kettle, not from one of those hot water machines that only produces tepid warm water.

If it's American tea (even if branded Tetley/PG), then double the number of tea bags and up brewing time to several minutes.

1. Psyx
      Pint

Re: Boiling water a necessity

"American tea"

The only thing worse than American tea is American cheese.

Edit: ...And American bacon.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

You forgot American chocolate

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

I think you gentlemen refer to "American Extruded Cheese Product[TM]" and "American Extruded Chocolate Product[TM]".

Neither bear any resemblance to cheese - which should never ever be anywhere near plastic wrapping - nor chocolate, which should be dark as the gates of hell and bitter as the recriminations that led you there...

12. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

As I stated before

Twinings Prince of Wales tea or the Keemun Congou I can get here in the Netherlands

Recommended infusing time:

3min - ∞

The latter occurs when I am busy coding. This tea does not turn bitter ever (does turn cold however)

Assam is a good alternative, infusing time 3-5 min

13. Jim jimminy jim jim jim jim
    Stop

cuppa time

can't brew this

sorry!

14. Johnny G
    Boffin

Brewing time

"Brewing time: 3-4 minutes".

Way too long. If you're using a regular tea bag (such as PT, Tetley or my fav Twinings Everyday) and BOILING water (a must), it only needs about 30 secs, maybe less. 3 or 4 mins we stew it.

To me the most critical component in this is the water temperature. It should be at boiling or very near boiling. Warm water just won't brew the tea properly and will make it smell.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Brewing time

I suppose it depends whether or not you like your tea to taste of, well, tea - or just warm water with a dash of milk.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Brewing time

It depends if you want it to taste of tea, or just tannin. Maybe the problem is your taste buds' sensitivity.

15. Zog The Undeniable
    FAIL

Nooooo!

The only way to get the creamier taste of "milk first", and still brew the tea with boiling water, is to use a teapot.

Sorry, the research just shows what a bunch of philistines the sample was.

16. Cyberelic

Not everyone wants builders tea

Now I drink organic earl grey teabags, with 3 sucralose tabs and no milk. It has to be boiling properly, in one of my favourite mugs, and needs stirring and squeezing for a few minutes.

But I now only have about 1/3 of my kidneys left.

Previously I used to drink 'proper' filter coffee, with 2 spoons of demerara and full fat milk.

At my grandmothers house we always used to wake up to weak black tea with a slice of lemon...

P.

1. Silverburn
      Alien

Re: Not everyone wants builders tea

errm....just to be clear...the coffee and sugar killed 2/3rds of your kidneys?

Luckily that won't be a problem for me because I have 6 kidneys.

Wait...I don't?

2. Psyx
      Thumb Up

Re: Not everyone wants builders tea

"Now I drink organic earl grey teabags, with 3 sucralose tabs and no milk."

I was about to down-vote but I read on, and believe your excuse to be valid!!

17. Mr. Nobby
    Stop

Milk first?

People like that should be hanged.

18. Phil Holden 1

Technique

Well I'm glad to see the YT supporters weighing in, it is the superior blend.

And yes it is marvellous brewed with soft water (ours is beautifully filtered through millstone grit).

No-one seems to have mentioned that it is imperative that the water be boiling when added, not slightly off the boil, but still trying to leap from the kettle spout. once applied a quick whizz of the teaspoon and allow it's penultimate gyrations to becalm. then 2 minutes of sitting, another flick of the spoon, SQUEEZE (yes I said it) then flick the teabag into the bin from the furthest distance possible (creates a beautiful beige pattern behind the binlid), and add your choice of poisons (M+2S is my preference), if however you are feeling particularly decadent, then you may add an ASDA extra-special range Darjeeling to the mix for the real prince of teas.

19. Jellyfish

Other parameters

As being well known for being particular about tea I'd just like to mention a couple of parameters that have been forgotten:

1. Colour of inside of the mug - my experiments have shown that IMO white/light colour mugs produce much better tasting tea than dark coloured interiors (sweeter, less bitter)

2. Degree of agitation applied to the bag whilst brewing - the more agitation the more bitter the tea tastes to me.

Also, size of mug should be considered - if enormous, brewing time must be increased or risk "witch p*ss"

20. plrndl
    Alien

Ambivalent

Personally, I brew work tea in the mug, and add milk afterwards.

At home I do it properly, warming the pot, 1 bag per person, and one for the pot, and putting milk in first. Possibly your results are skewed by others who vary their methodology according to circumstance?

21. Silverburn
    Flame

No Fanboi war?

Wait...I thought it was traditional for El Reg threads to descend into a fanboi slagging match?

2 pages in (at time of post) and where's the cafeboi's expletive-ridden "FAIL" messages, and the resulting counter-salvo from the Teatards?

Flame on chaps!

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: No Fanboi war?

The topic is not erudite or libertian enough for Eadon who, of course, only drinks an infusion made from free range penguin droppings.

22. Charles Calthrop
    Thumb Down

have to use a white mug

tea in a black mug :dead:

23. LPF
    Thumb Down

No sugar ??

Jesus wept whats wrong with you people, if there is not sugar showing above the tea line, its not sweet enough! :(

24. Nick Kew
    Devil

Tea bags forsooth!

Do you prefer tinned fruit to fresh, too? Instant coffee? And how do you like your spam?

Barbarians all!

25. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Joke

Bunch of pretentious snobs!

Bloody hell, these sort of topics do bring the wannbee hooray henrys out of the woodwork.

The only proper drink is water. Pure, fresh, clean water. Taken from a specific mountain stream in the Himalayas, just north of Tibet. A close second is thawed ice from the Antarctic. Preferably drilled from a depth of 2001 feet.

Now, can you all just shut up about your bloody contaminated brown water?

1. Anomalous Cowturd
      Headmaster

Re: Bunch of pretentious snobs!

It's not contaminated, it's adulterated.

Just like these delicious burgers.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Bunch of pretentious snobs!

Got to have your five-a-day trace elements: arsenic, nickel, cobalt, lead, cadmium…

This topic is closed for new posts.