back to article Amazon yanks SimCity download from store

Amazon has stopped selling the downloadable version of SimCity after hundreds of incensed gamers gave the just-launched game one-star reviews. The SimCity – Standard Edition was removed from Amazon's virtual shelves on Thursday. The always-online game has been mostly unplayable since it launched on Tuesday because of problems …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Happy

Re: EA

"Anyone who installs Origin is basically asking for it."

"Or a donkey"

Oh, reg forums, your simplistic approach to comment threading just made my day.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Why...

...are people still giving EA money? They're a bunch of cocks, they have proved that over and over again. For years. Just don't buy their shit!

"Oh, but they're releasing this new game in a series I love, I have to have it!"

No. No you don't. If you keep accepting their shit and giving them good money for it, EA are going to keep bending you over and making you squeal.

Re: Why...

And they'll charge extra for the vaseline

Silver badge

Re: And they'll charge extra for the vaseline

Because "Consumers love microtransactions!"

Mushroom

EA gets money because they bought up all the game studios that put out the stuff we want to play, or have nailed down distribution rights for the games we want to play. It's sad - the world did not need Origin when Steam already exists and is well liked.

These things have a way of working themselves out. Mess up too many A titles, and you won't be in business anymore.

Downloaded Gatling Gears off Steam the other day. No Steam integration for achievements, no hub....hmm....I wonder who published this, then?

"Please log in to your EA account to continue."

Ah, that explains it. Wonder what happens if I put the licence key into Origin...

"Thank you for registering Gatling Gears! Your product is ready for download."

.........Fuck's sake.

Silver badge

And they won't even leave you money for cab fair in the morning...

Far too many consumers out there keeping this wreck of a company afloat.

I gave up on EA long ago. But I'm just one person with some business connections. Not enough to hurt EA.

The whole idea of 'must be connected in order to use' carries a default 'no money from me' response. Unfortunately, there are all to many folks out there that don't pick up on this until AFTER the money has been spent.

FAIL

Fuck EA

I have been boycotting them for years. I am so happy to see those money grabbing BASTARDS getting screwed. Now if only we could have similar news about Activision-Blizzard....I would fucking love it.

Re: Fuck EA

Already did. Same exact situation happened with Diablo 3. Online only, massive rush clogged and tore apart their server. People still threw money at them. A few got refunds, but plenty just let it go.

WoW has been vastly less reliable than GW2, with longer outages and so on, yet which one do you have to pay for? Exactly.

But Activision-Blizzard gives no fucks, as people will always throw money at them, even if it means grinding dailies. Paying to do menial tasks, fuck! Mindless..

Silver badge
Unhappy

I got to play D3 at launch time (30 mins of pasting passwords though) and to be fair im sure that D3 had FAR more people logging on at launch than simcity. Plus it was working about 3 hours after launch (consistently).

Doesnt excuse the DRM method though (for EA or blizzard) - there should be an offline mode after authenticating (which wont help if the authentication servers are AWOL to begin with!)

Boffin

"to be fair im sure that D3 had FAR more people logging on"

No. Not fair at all.

They should have been using a round-robin-DNS that spread the IP requests for a login to several back-end servers that all up-streamed to the same place... resulting in successful logins. They could have done it right the first time. They CHOSE not to... to save costs.

I kid you not, they KNEW this was going to happen... And I'm certain that their risk management dept. basically said it would be cheaper to absorb the short-term PR problem (the public has very short term memory) than properly invest (money spent) in server-side architecture to handle what could otherwise be considered a DDoS.

Silver badge
Devil

Wonderful news

I think it's time to short me some EA stock.

At the time of writing neither Amazon or EA had responded to El Reg's requests for comment.

Either... or

Neither... nor

Splendid, that's easily a while day's worth of pedantry in one fell swoop. I can get on to other things; like pretending I know what I'm talking about in pointless meetings.

FAIL

'...neither Amazon or EA had responded to El Reg's requests...' I am sure is correct.

'...neither Amazon nor EA had responded to...' is incorrect.

'...neither Amazon nor EA responded to...' is correct.

Just saying...

Happy

First rule of corrections - you will make an error in your correction.

....a WHOLE day's worth of pedantry....

Headmaster

It's sentences like this that get deleted three or four times for just these reasons. Only to be replaced with:

"Both Amazon and EA have not responded at this time."

You can never have enough pedantry. It's self-perpetuating in most cases. Including mine, probably.

Re: First rule of corrections - you will make an error in your correction.

Indeed. Muphry's Law in action :)

FAIL

I find it amusing

Currently El Reg is plastered (Top of page and both sides) in adverts for this game. Already seen about 10 similar stories yesterday and today in my RSS feeds about this.

Really stunning way to screw up a game at launch and perfectly predictable after similar debacles. Did they really have no accurate estimate on pre orders or how many people were likely to buy this in the early days? If the servers weren't ready why didn't they dealy the launch untill they were? Oh that's why it's EA who don't give a shit about customers and just want to wring every penny possible out of them.

I wasn't planning on buying them anyway got pissed off with the crap they pull a while ago. Main thing that did it for me was buying Fifa for the PS3 I like to play it so does my son but if we both want to play online it's an extra £10 neither of us play it enough to justify that so instead of spending the extra ten I just don't bother spending the £40 on the game now.

Sim City no thanks haven't bothered with the series in well over a decade but all this publicity doesn't exactly make me want to check it out. No thanks I'll stick with Civ 5.

Pirate

Re: I find it amusing

"Currently El Reg is plastered (Top of page and both sides) in adverts for this game. Already seen about 10 similar stories yesterday and today in my RSS feeds about this."

You can see adverts? I haven't seen one in years thanks to Adblock and NoScript. Unless you are talking about the articles themselves. That's a different kettle of fish.

FAIL

Stick with Civ 5?

Does Civ 5 work? Civ revolution marked the end of me as a EA customer, as the endgame was bugged to hell to the extent it ruined most games and despite releasing updates that updated *something* they never fixed that.

I also find it amusing that el Reg is plastered with SimCity ads, and the recent articles going through the old Sim Citys. Fair enough it has to make money somehow, but it's amusing nonetheless.

I'm no genius because there will be plenty of other people will be saying I told you so, but this SimCity disaster was completely predictable from the start. Everything EA release these days is full of bugs and has something to extract more money out of the player. There's also no way a small amount of back-of-fag-packet maths would not have calculated the server capacity required, the software will just be bugged to hell.

An enormous shame as I'd love to waste the next 6 months of my life playing SimCity or perhaps Civ something, but perhaps fortunately EA have ensured I actually do something constructive with my time :(

+1 for running the servers on Amigas too. It's true that it would work, if only because the code would have to be debugged fully to avoid continually bringing down the whole OS (no memory protection is a blessing sometimes)

Re: Stick with Civ 5?

Does Civ 5 work? Civ revolution marked the end of me as a EA customer, as the endgame was bugged to hell to the extent it ruined most games and despite releasing updates that updated *something* they never fixed that.

Revolution nearly cured me of my Civ addiction, the console-cuddling piece of shit. Civ 5, however, has reaffirmed it, and as far as I can tell, it has nothing to do with EA. Registers on Steam, has full integration with it, and works perfectly - it *can't* be an EA game.

Every EA game I've bought in recent years has had major bugs that have never been patched. Alice: Madness Returns illustrated their disgusting customer attitude perfectly for me. It had several game breaking bugs reported in chorus in their customer forums. Did they patch the game? No, they shut the forums!

Scumbags.

Anonymous Coward

Online for single player is BS

As a Mac user, if you want to get any recent and decent games, you usually have to get them from Steam. The problem is that if you want to play these while your internet connection is down, you're boned!

They have an 'offline' mode to play your games without an internet connection but you must first go online and login to your account to then activate 'offline' mode. What kinda crazy logic is that?

Re: Online for single player is BS

Actually, if you have your password saved and it cannot connect it will ask if you want to start in offline mode

As I said, it will ask you if you want to start in offline mode but it will NOT work unless you previously set your Steam to 'Offline mode' while you were ONLINE.

If you search the steam forums you'll find numerous mac users complaining that it's a roundabout way of doing it because it means you need to KNOW that you wont have a connection beforehand in order to set it to Offline mode.

Funny, while my steam was in online mode and I don't have a internet connection it asks me if i wish to boot in offline mode, sure if you don't have your login saved you do need to login first.

Bronze badge
Happy

I know on the windows version there's a funky setting in the registry so you can tell it to launch in offline mode - I can't speak for the Mac version though, but I'm sure if one poke around in the settings file (wherever it lives) the same thing could be done.

Re: Re: Online for single player is BS

It didn't work for many until fairly recently and still works inconsistently in my experience. Recently my Internet connection went down so I decided to play a game for a while, forgetting it required Steam. Steam spent 5 minutes (I timed it) looking for a connection, before giving up and asking if I wasted to restart in offline mode. Incidenttaly, that is one area where Origin has Steam beat. Offline mode just works, whether you invoke it intentionally or not.

Silver badge
Pint

Stephen. If you have your password SAVED in the steam logon (it has to be saved) if you exit steam (not log out) then pull ethernet/disable network/piss on your router then reopen steam it gives you blurb about not being able to connect but then offers to open up in offline mode (or try again). Or (as you said) you can go into offline mode before you exit steam (which is useless to those with unexpected outages of course). If you password isnt saved then you dont get the option of logging in offline - only to try again.

Not sure if you have to have had offline enabled at some point in the past or if it was a hangup from the beta client test - it just worked for me.

Thanks Danny 14 but it really doesn't work for me. My password IS saved and it does offer my the option of Offline mode but then it still tries to connect anyway. If I follow the instructions in the steam forums then it works. Those instructions are to login with a connection and then set steam to offline mode. I can then open steam in the future with or without an internet connection and it will work. But obviously I wont get any updates, the steam browser wont work etc.

Are you using using OS X?

On the Windows and Linux versions, I don't have my login saved, and it still boots to offline mode just fine if I don't have a connection. People tell me all about this necessary voodoo of logging in, booting a game once, etc, but it never seems necessary. I got on a ten hour flight the other week, and right before it I downloaded Civ 5 to my laptop. Never booted it, never fiddled with Steam at all. Got on the plane, started Steam in offline mode, played the game.

It just works. Ironically, unlike your Mac. :-p

Silver badge
Boffin

Steam works offline in Mac

If you have saved your login/pwd on the Steam login screen, it will ask you if you want to go "offline mode" if you're w/o internet. Just tested it.

Silver badge

Re: Steam works offline in Mac

NNo, windows sorry. Not sure why it doesn't work for you sorry. My office and laptops are permanently on offline for lunch time games. Mobe tethering is good enough to get offline in a pinch (I did that at a lan party once)

Silver badge
FAIL

I stopped buying games when they started insisting on an internet connection, most of my games get recycled onto the childrens computers at work when I am finished with them, but the boss wont allow them to be connected to the internet.

I dont think I have bought an EA game this century.

hmm

I will buy a multiplayer only game with the full knowledge that I can not play it online if I have no internet connection, and that eventually the company producing may eventually no longer support the multiplayer component. That is a risk you take.

I will buy a single player/multiplayer game and pay good money knowing that eventually the company may eventually no longer support the multiplayer component. In this case, I expect to be able to still play the single player version locally.

I will NOT pay good money for a single player or single player/multiplayer game, if the single player component requires an always on internet connection, as if they shut down the servers then the single player component is no longer playable.

I was going to buy this game until I found that out.

Facepalm

Again and again....

EA are the crack dealing boyfriend and it's customers are the dirty bitch crack whore who gets slapped about and black eyed but keeps going back for more because "EA loves me girlfriend...."

When will these bitches ever learn !!!!

Mushroom

I've got no sympathy.

EA has pulled this crap again and again in the past {and again, and again, and again, and again}.

Those who do not learn from history and all that.

Devil

It's the new economy stupid

It's not about you, the client. It's about self declared smart and important people, upper management.

Stop

It already exists!

You can play SimCity offline no problem. It's called Sim City 2000. And it's still better than this.

Re: It already exists!

SimCity 4 with a sprinking of mods and fixes is no doubt going to prove to be the end game for SimCity.

10 years and they couldn't come up with something better.

SimCity 2000 is of course also a classic and a great game.

Bronze badge

And the original install was on 2 HD floppies! Installed it took up about 4 meg.

This post has been deleted by its author

Cities XL looks far better than the new SimCity, it must be said - far more epic scale

All games with hype that require an internet connection.

Fail bad on the first day/week (WOW, D3, Guildwars 2, COD and prolly alot more...) The accountants should just follow this rule.

What ever predictions they crunch from data times that by 10 and get the bandwidth/servers to account for that. Surely overkill is better than this much bad press..

Re: All games with hype that require an internet connection.

Diablo 3 and SimCity fall into a different category than the others though:

WoW - MMO, online only, Guild Wars 2 - ditto.. CoD - online play is basically all people buy it for.

However, Diablo 3 and SimCity represent a newer and more sinister trend, essentially forcing you permanantly online even if you wanted to play a single player game.

There's no need for that. Online modes are all well and good, desirable to many, even; but there's no reason both of those games couldn't offer you offline, locally stored games.

Fail bad on the first day/week (WOW, D3, Guildwars 2, COD and prolly alot more...) The accountants should just follow this rule.

In defence of Guild Wars 2, they removed the game from sale while they set up more servers, in order to maintain quality of service for the customers who had already bought it. While it frustrated me slightly, I had to give them props for being honest and caring more about their paid customers than getting more sales in.

yup, that was ballsy and respectable

Anonymous Coward

I recall seeing a smug EA or Ubisoft executive telling the BBC we don't have the same problems as the Movie or Music industry... Because we have DRM! Yeah well compliments of a Cloudy Swiss cheese web you now have a whole new set of problems...

They are not threatening to ban, that is a rumor, they posted on twitter on their official account that they are not banning people requesting refunds.

The game however is stupid, I was one of the 1 star reviews on amazon, I havnt been able to play at all. I have been using a US VPN to activate the game because of having to wait until Friday to play in the UK is stupid. The simple fact is, they never made enough servers, every one of them is basically full now, and thats still with the whole of the gamers in the UK not even having the game released yet. If it wasnt for battlefield3 i wouldnt touch origin or EA games, I only got simcity because I have to have origin installed anyway for BF3.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017