back to article Linus Torvalds in NSFW Red Hat rant

Linux overlord Linus Torvalds has again vented his spleen online, taking on Red Hat employee David Howells with a series of expletive-laden posts on the topic of X.509 public key management standard. The action takes place on the Linux Kernel Mailing List, with Howell posting a request that Torvalds “pull this patchset please …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Pete Spicer

I personally am glad to see that he isn't afraid to call it how he sees it. If he thinks it's stupid, I'm glad he has the nerve to call it so, bluntly and plainly without weasel words.

I would speculate, though, that a lot of the rest he is as ranty as he is, is simply because he is passionate about what he does. People who are passionate about what they do, they live and breathe it, and it flows through them. Drama is the inevitable side effect of someone who is that passionate about it.

1. Shannon Jacobs
      Holmes

Passion is a good thing

That was just the point I was going to make, with the extension that it is good for Linux that he still feels such passion about it. You might argue that a bit of cruft in the kernel is nothing to get so bent out of shape about, but if you really are trying to make an OS that is as good as it can be, then the passion may be the best thing that Linux has going for it.

However, I think that better economic models might be even better. Concretely, I think Microsoft has AWFUL software and they would sell me nothing on their own merits. I use quite a bit of Microsoft's software simply because their economic models work so well that I have no choice. In various ways, Microsoft strips off my freedoms and forces me to use garbage, and Microsoft thinks they are offering me a 'meaningful and unconstrained) choice by letting me choose whether the biggest piece of their garbage I use is numbered 7 or 8. This is NOT freedom, and perhaps equally important, this is how evolution is slowed down.

For a better economic model for Linux, may I (again) suggest "reverse auction charity shares"? Unfortunately I lack passion about it.

2. rcorrect
      Pirate

RE: Pete Spicer

That's fine if all Linus wants to do is preach to the choir while nobody else takes him seriously. As long as you wouldn't criticize <insert CEO you hate the most> for speaking the same way as him then I cannot fault your opinion. Still I wish he would represent Linux in a positive light to the general public and not just fanbois who accept anything he has as gospel. If he can't control his feelings when speaking then he just needs to get over himself and grow up or STFU.

1. Ed Vim

Re: RE: Pete Spicer

>> not just fanbois who accept anything he has as gospel.

It's really obvious you like to make assumptions off of your own biases. It's also very clear you're either not aware of the Open Source community or that you just don't bother to even read up about it much.

1. rcorrect
          Mushroom

>>It's really obvious you like to make assumptions off of your own biases.

Yes, I agree it's really obvious you like to make assumptions off of your own biases.

1. ShadowedOne
            FAIL

Seriously? What, are you 12 years old or something?

2. Doug 3
        Facepalm

@rcorrect, you think Linus was conversing with the general public? I really wish that were the case considering the topic but 98% of the population wouldn't know what they were talking about. If people can't understand the context then maybe they should, as you put it, STFU? huh?

FYI, the web is public but what you see isn't often targeted to the general world+dog. Besides content there's this thing called context. While proprietary businesses and governments may do these things behinds closed doors and disguise them as private matters, that's not how the OSS world works. Those coding GNU/Linux probably could care less what the "public" thinks when they are writing code but the public is welcome to look at it. Again, OSS is not old school business with lots of protectionist mechanisms disguised as corporate policy and politeness.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: RE: Pete Spicer @Doug

"@rcorrect, you think Linus was conversing with the general public?"

Good point. Most people are often childish when they're with their mates. This is no different to the Ballmer chair-throwing the OSS crowd are so fond of bringing up. Just done by someone who's said or done something you approve of.

"Again, OSS is not old school business with lots of protectionist mechanisms disguised as corporate policy and politeness."

Wow, what a bunch of free-thinking heroes. To borrow what you all say to each other.

3. Nexox Enigma

"""As long as you wouldn't criticize <insert CEO you hate the most> for speaking the same way ..."""

I'd love it if every CEO (and other people in positions of economic of government power) would speak like this - this sounds like how adults communicate, and I know that some of those CEOs, at least some of the time, would like to be allowed to talk like that in public. I'd much prefer the occasional emotional expletive to flavorless, clean statements that are designed to make life easy for the relevant Legal and/or HR departments.

3. JimC

I think if I'd spent

the number of years herding cats that he has, then sometimes my tolerance level would get a bit thin too.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I think if I'd spent

As a way to summarize what redhat wanted... Well I have the most loose of understanding when it comes to kernel code and uefi so this analogy could be entirely wrong.

Linux Kernel = manufacturer of a key component

Red Hat etc = consumer of said product.

Microsoft = competitor to both linux and red hat.

Microsoft have released a new security feature built into their hardware option, and they're enforcing this on others, there are ways around it however.

Red Hat could implement something like this themselves, but their lives would be easier if Linux kernel handled it for them, so they request "Can you implement Microsofts UEFI stuff?"

Linux turns around and say "no fuck off" why? Because not only is the idea stupid. It's not a kernel operation. The kernel has one job and one alone (well it's loads of small jobs that handle one job) UEFI is not one of those jobs. The moment they start allowing excess functionality to flood the kernel is the moment the kernel goes downhill. The fact that the kernel is (in comparison) streamlined is one of the main selling points of linux.

Okay this went from hardware to software very quickly. Fuck it carrying on.

Additional to keeping things streamlined. If they start letting excess bits go in now which aren't needed, it opens the floodgates. First UEFI, then encryption, then we'll start seeing things like GNOME built into the kernel.

If it can be done outside of the kernel, as well as it could be in the kernel, it doesn't belong in the kernel.

It's like buying a car with a GPS built in. You can either get a car for £50,000 or get it with GPS built in for £55000. OR you could buy the car for £50,000 and buy a tomtom for £100 that you just plug in. Costs less and you still have the same car.

1. Fatman

Re: your analogy

Is not that far off.

I would suggest the use of a car, for a better analogy.

You have transportation needs, and all kinds of cars (and trucks) are available.

You can buy one that closely meets your needs, providing the basic functionality, and few bells and whistles, or you can go 'all out' and buy a luxury sedan, or colossal SUV.

What the luxury sedan/SUV option comes with is added bloat and potentially extra costs. If you go to a vehicle with power windows, and the power motor quits, you have the expense of repairing/replacing the motor. Linus takes a similar tact to the kernel. Keep all of that UNNEEDED SHIT OUT OF THE KERNEL. If you actually NEED that bloat, include it elsewhere. Why clog up the kernel with it.

So, I applaud that guy. His motto is:

Keep

It

Simple,

Stupid!!!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not the complete story?

Nice article but IMO you left some important details out. Now, I understand that we should obviously check the source material ourselves in order to form our opinion on it, but IMO the El Reg article as-is makes Linus look way more negative than he actually is.

The reason I think so is because your article never makes it clear as to why Linus thinks this is a stupid suggestion, Microsoft had nothing to do with that, something which can be read here (link to lkml.org):

"Umm. And which part of "We already support that, using standard X.509

certificates" did we suddenly miss?

So no. The PE file thing makes no sense what-so-ever. What you mention

we can already do, and we already do it *better*."

...in response to comments that RH only wanted to add functionality to the kernel which allows kernel module programmers to sign the module and vouch for it themselves.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Binary signed by Microsoft?

I would have thought the real story was why Microsoft was even involved in the Linux kernel.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Binary signed by Microsoft?

Big companies are major contributors.

This is probably to do with the secure boot feature of UEFI.

You either want code signing or you don't. Much of the world seems to want it.

1. tom dial Silver badge

If by "much of the world" you mean "Microsoft", yes. In watching this general topic with a certain amount of attentiveness for the last year or so, I nave not noticed others showing more than acquiescence in a move transparently aimed at cementing a monopoly and extending it to a new class of devices (not that MS seem to having much success with Windows RT). Code signing is not the real issue: Most or all of the code i install on Debian systems is signed and I think validated at installation time, although not at each use.

While secure boot may have some benefit in system management and attack detection/prevention, I don't feel that I actually own a piece of hardware if I do not receive, with it, the software required to generate a self-signed platform key and install and maintain the secure boot software validation key chain (including the platform key of my choice. And requiring me to trust Microsoft (or any other entity) to determine what software I install is a nonstarter - they have not earned that trust.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

This is a PC, a big computer. How often are you going to write your own OS?

Yes sure, Linux did his own kernel, but that's not to say he could have launched it from an existing bootloader.

A raspberry Pi is the sort of device people hack around with now.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't know if you're aware of SecureBoot, it's part of the UEFI spec. MS are trying to make sure that competing OSes, particularly Linux, aren't prevented from running, when secure boot is switched on. In order to do this they have said that they will sign bootloaders for Linux distros for free, in order that the distros don't have to go to verisign.

1. Vic

> MS are trying to make sure that competing OSes, particularly Linux, aren't prevented from running

*snort*

Vic.

4. Spoddyhalfwit
    Windows

Linus is doing a Ballmer!

EPIC LINUS FAIL

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Troll is doing an Eadon!

EPIC TROLL FAIL

1. Silverburn
        Go

When your name is mentioned as something that is even worse than trolling, you know your upgrade to El Reg Gold membership is gonna be in the post any day now.

5. TeeCee Gold badge

No need for foul language.

If Red Hat want to put that in their distro, he should have told them to just fork off and do it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No need for foul language.

Hmm... Not sure that telling the biggest Linux desktop/server player to fork the kernel would be a particularly good idea. It would be spectacularly bad for Linux. The vast majority of major linux users use RedHat derived OSes, they are not going to move from RedHat, the linux enthusiasts would start an ideological war a la OO/LO, but would likely loose as big business is so invested in Red Hat. You could well end up with Ubuntu for home, Red Hat for work...

1. tom dial Silver badge

"The vast majority of major linux users use RedHat derived OSes" - I am a bit skeptical about this statement, although it obviously is in need of a definition of "major." See:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/2012mca.php

This does not report usage, to be sure, but in the universe of Gnu/Linux users, high regard is likely to be followed by adoption, especially since the various distributions are substitutable one for another.

2. Androgynous Crackwhore
      Linux

<-- No need for the fowl language. Shirly?

(Could the OCD brigade please step away from the mortarboards and allow a commentard a little poetic licence? Please?)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Linus is 100% Correct In Doing This !

Linus is essentially defending Linux from becoming a project that is subverted by commercial interests. And please, don't believe there is a single "good corporation/company" around. ALL of them are subject to massive financial pressure/desire then and now. Maybe this time M$ dangled two billion dollars in front of Redhat to make them do their bidding. M$ already did this to Novell/SuSE, who complied by releasing a crap quality version of Linux. I suspect they did it to Canonical.

So Linux uses strong words to fend off the corrupt folks ? Rightly so. It is his DUTY.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Linus is 100% Correct In Doing This !

Linux is already subverted - hence why it's stuck in the era of GPLv2.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Windows

@Altes

"Linus is essentially defending Linux from becoming a project that is subverted by commercial interests."

Now, this is why I wrote my earlier comment because IMO this is only what this article insinuates but it isn't true perse. The way I see it Linus even stands way above petty stuff such as commercial interests; all he cares for is that the kernel which he maintains remains sane.

The reason I come to this conclusion is because "the evil Microsoft" themselves have also contributed code to the kernel. Not only that; one could even argue that their motivation for doing so was partly to get Linux to better co-exist within their Windows networks. But despite their commercial interests Linus still deemed their contributions to be valid enhancements to the kernel and as such they got implemented. IMO because Linus couldn't care less about those commercial interests but more so for getting solid additions to the kernel which he maintains.

Don't take my word for it; check out this link to a PDF file released by the Linux Foundation on kernel development. Go to page 11 (page 10 contains the header of the chart) and see for yourself what company made it into the top 20 list of kernel contributors.

1. PhilBuk
        Headmaster

Re: @ShelLuser

It's 'per se' not 'perse'. You are at risk of confusing a few people.

Phil.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Linus Torvalds

Sounds like a right Steve Jobs!

1. wowfood

Re: Linus Torvalds

Army of followers who adore him. Complete ass who gets the job done and pretty much single handedly keeps a company alive. I can live with that comparison.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Once again...

...Mr. Torvalds has shown himself to be unprofessional, abusive and a bully. Why do Linux allow him to stay in charge? In many territories what he has done would be a crime (verbal/written assault is still assault).

Would you lot forgive Ballmer, Ellison, Page, Cook, or Zukerberg if they behaved in such a rude an infantile manner? No. So why let Mr. Torvalds away with it?

If Linux wishes to be taken seriously, it's time Mr. Torvalds was removed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Once again...

In many territories women going to school is a crime.

That something happens somewhere in the world isn't generally considered a strong argument, in and of itself.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not educating people can be considered a harm.

Forcing people to suffer a public (and expletive laden) assault is not considered a harm?

You need to seriously reassess your values.

1. Silverburn

You need to seriously reassess your values.

I could counter by saying "MTFU". But I won't. Sticks and stones an' all that.

What did you expect? A warm coco, a hug and a suggestion that perhaps a little tweaking would make sure everyone's teddies didn't cry?

No way...he was doing the kernel equivalent of trying to stick it in reverse while doing 80mph in the outside lane of the M1 at rush hour. I'd have been screaming and cursing too if you tried that in my car.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I'm not saying anything about the worthiness of the patch, all I am saying is that Mr. Torvalds' response was totally unprofessional and abusive. All he had to do was say:

"Not accepting this patch as it's not the kernel's job. The architecture is also wrong because of A, B, and C."

That's it.

Did he? No. He launched into an expletive laden public attack and you lot loved it. Think how you'd feel if your manager or a hired-in contractor dressed you down the same way in front of your colleagues or on the street; would you just suck it up or would you report the person to HR (if not the police)?

Mr. Torvalds is beyond reproach. Double-standards, people; double-standards.

2. Anonymous Coward
          WTF?

Re: Forcing people to suffer

If someone comes out with something lacking any merit at all on a public forum/mailingList then they are accepting that their ideas may be assessed and possibly ridiculed if meriting it. In the same way someone comes on some forum and doesn't leave their real name just hiding behind the AC nonsense. The ideas proposed by the RedHat employee lacked any merit at all (IMHO), and needed to be categorised as such. Linus did that, whilst suggesting that they could be kept in user space. Suggest you look up bullying in the dictionary before making such utterings

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Forcing people to suffer

"persistability" is on your birth certificate is it? No, didn't think so. You are just an anonymous, get over it.

"The ideas proposed by the RedHat employee lacked any merit at all (IMHO)"

That's fine. The patch can be rejected.

bully, noun: A person who is habitually cruel or overbearing, especially to smaller or weaker people; A hired ruffian; a thug.

Seems to fit Mr. Torvalds rather well based on his current actions.

I have no issue at all with Mr. Torvalds rejecting updates to the kernel; I have every issue with him acting in this bullying manner. We wouldn't tolerate it from any other executive, elected official or public person; so why should we tolerate it from him? High time the Linux Foundation censured him.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Vic

> Forcing people to suffer a public (and expletive laden) assault is not considered a harm?

ODFO...

Vic.

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Not educating people can be considered a harm."

Yes

"Forcing people to suffer a public (and expletive laden) assault is not considered a harm?"

No, it isn't.

Also, no'one's being forced to "suffer" being told they're being stupid. They avoid it by not persisting in being stupid in a public forum.

"You need to seriously reassess your values."

No, I really don't. Telling people they're being stupid when they're being stupid is not necessarily a bad outcome, even if you do it using firey language.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@AC 11:39 - Yeah, but we're only holding Linus up to the standards of the society in which we and he lives. Not asking for any special favours because he grew up in a completely different culture. In fact, he grew up in Finland, where this sort of behaviour would not be tolerated in a company.

2. Silverburn

History is replete with examples of a single mind, dedicated to a vision, making history and succeeding.

Whereas delegated ownership or committees (and I include Governments in this) has far more failures than successes, and even more compromised deliveries.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

OSS is not a company, it's basically like a large charity full of talented volunteers giving their free time to make something useful for the benefit of anyone who fancies playing with it. A corporation, having sold a product with certain gaurantees has a duty to the customer and the employees of the company to ensure that everyone behaves or they will incur finanical or legal issues.

Linux started the Linux kernel on his own ( note that Linus is just handling the kernel, what gets slapped on top is none of his business ), so technically it's his "ball" and he can pick it up anytime he likes and bugger off with it. It's not a corportation or an owned entitiy, so he can do whatever he likes. IF he's seen as a dick once too often then the people "working" for him have a choice tell him or they can walk if they like and there's no finanical penalties for anyone.

All those other you mentioned are beholden to their shareholders and to a large extent those people's wages ( via huge stock options ) are based on company performance, Ellison, Gates, etc act like pricks the shareholders start a ruckus, the board asks questions and financial penalties can be put in place to bring the CEO to heel. Linus goes a bit loopy at some volunteers they can happily tell him to stick his kernel code up his compiler and walk off.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"OSS is not a company"

Where did I say "OSS"? I said "Linux", or are you claiming the "Linux Foundation" shouldn't be treated as a professional organisation and beholden to the same laws and standards as everyone else?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@AC 12:58 - I don't know where you come from, but in the UK/EU charities are covered by exactly the same employment law as businesses, even for volunteers.

In brief: You can't treat someone like shit just because they are working for free.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Why do Linux allow him to stay in charge?

His name is on the tin.

5. hplasm
      Trollface

Point and laugh, everyone, point and laugh.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like