back to article 4G in the UK? Why the smart money still says 'Meh'

Last September, when the UK's first 4G service emerged, I promised to sit out the switch to high-speed mobile broadband for as long as possible. What I didn't expect was the mobile industry joining me on the sidelines. Budge up, please - it's getting a bit crowded here. It would not be fair to say the UK mobile industry is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Jason Hindle

Absolutely agree

For most of us, I think 3G is that thing we use between WiFi sources (i.e. home, office, restaurant, pub). LTE can have its biggest impact in the third world, where land line broadband availability is virtually none existent in many areas. In this respect, parts of Africa are already leapfrogging the UK.

Of course, weren't we all just as cynical when 3G services first launched in the UK? LTE will mature and become widely used, but it's not necessarily the revolution some might claim it to be (in fact, the clue is in its name).

2. jason 7
    Facepalm

And all the reviewers laughed...

...when the Nexus 4 arrived with no 4G.

Google ain't daft. Neither am I to pay 4G tariffs.

3. Michael Jennings

Almost nobody is saying "I want 4G and I am willing to pay more than I am paying now for it". Almost everybody is using steadily increasing amounts of data, applications that work better with higher speed connections, and therefore gradually need speed improvements. With that comes an expectation that data will work everywhere, so better coverage of data services is needed to.

LTE is vital to deliver these things in medium term. (LTE on 800MHz is vitally important for the better coverage issue). Networks who try to sell LTE as a product in itself at much higher prices than 3G (I am looking at you, EE) are not going to succeed. Networks who try to sell it at a premium to corporate customers and provide a high quality network (Vodafone) are likely to find slightly less resistance, but still need to answer the question "What is it for"? Networks that just advertise their "fast network", state that LTE is included on the tariff, and provide this every increasing speed of service to their customers (Three) may do well of it. (I will not even try to figure out what O2's strategy is. I am not sure even they know).

My phone is presently a SIM only deal on Three. I am perfectly happy with the HTC One S I have at the moment, but for my next phone, I will probably stick with that contract and buy an LTE capable phone up front, if it doesn't cost too much and I hear the battery life is not too dismal. There is a fair chance that I might need to upgrade from my present 1Gb a month data allowance to a deal with an unlimited allowance, so they might get a few quid out of me that way. Or perhaps I will get a contract with fewer talk minutes, and the cost will stay about the same. I don't ever seem to go near my current allowance.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's this about battery life?

On 3G phones I got at best about 1.5 days. On a 4G phone I get at best, about 1.5 days. I use both in more or less the same fashion. I tell you this battery life issue is a myth propagated by people who haven't really tried it...

As far as I can see, the real driver of battery depletion is how long you've got the screen on for, and much less to do with the transmission network...

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: What's this about battery life?

>this battery life issue is a myth

The problem is that the majority of the population are coming from having used normal mobile phones, where it was quite possible to go the best part of 5 days without charging on a battery that was a year or more old and still have a usable phone.

Switch to a smartphone (say the Samsung Galaxy Ace) and even with battery saver, it is hard pushed to last a normal working day, doing largely the same functions as the phone it replaced.

So battery life is an issue. Yes I agree from my experience the main battery depleting applications are the screen followed by the radios. Which is one of the reasons why I've never really got why e-ink didn't appear on phones (okay we all loved the full colour screens and wouldn't really want to go back to grayscale, but a screen that is low power and day light readable?).

5. Paul Webb
    Pint

4G means losing all that voice revenue

So it's not surprising that EE is charging so much or that the other networks are dragging their feet. If 4G voice works at all that is:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10/02/feature_wtf_is_voice_over_lte_4g/

Beer, because that's all I will be downloading today and 4G won't make that any faster (or pay-by-bonk make me pay for it any more quickly either).

6. Sureo
    WTF?

T-mobile....

...kindly enlighten me as to the difference between "unlimited" and "truly unlimited"???

1. TheVogon
      Mushroom

Re: T-mobile....

The difference is a 'Fair Usage Policy' - i.e. it's only unlimited until we say it isn't.....

2. PaulR79

I think their "Truly unlimited" has a bit more allowance than unlimited. I wish I was joking...

3. Richard Scratcher
      Boffin

...kindly enlighten me as to the difference between "unlimited" and "truly unlimited"???

I'm guessing that "truly unlimited" will be almost the same as "unlimited" but be subject to slightly fewer limits.

7. PaulR79
    Thumb Down

3G is still a huge battery drain

One point that I take issue with is the article seeming to suggest that most phones available today can manage fine on 3G compared to when they first came out. Unless I'm mistaken the majority of phones available still get thrashed to death using 3G to the point you can just about manage a day. We're just starting to get phones with almost acceptable battery sizes for 3G use after a decade. Are we going to be waiting the same amount of time for 4G phones? Will the coverage be the usual mess of "98% coverage" except for those bits where you live?

Perhaps it's just me experiencing these but my own limited testing shows that using WiFi I can get around 12 hours more battery than using a 3G connection with 4 bars (full) signal strength. Why are these chips still so massively inefficient?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

EE 4G

I use it, I have coverage where I live St Albans and where I mostly go London, my iPhone 5 battery seems fine. To be honest yes it's expensive but if you try it (and have coverage) it's brilliant. The Reg does like to throw out sweeping statements about how bad some things are but if you're holding out and not actually trying what you write about how can anyone take you seriously?

9. handeldujour
    Alert

Just Ad Munny

Something for nothing is always just around the corner.

Mr Devil "here you are, 4G at 3G prices (with adverts)"

All "oh great" ... oh sorry... All "OH GREAT !"

And then in general, no matter how slim your intended usage, that download allowance will be swallowed with push adverts. Following which, all those games with pay-as-u-click bank account drainers will be revenue flowing back up the pipe.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about WAP

They said the same thing when they introduced greedy rates of charging per Kilobyte. (yes Kb). Everyone was waxing lyrical about its benefits . Second hand car salesmen analogy comes to mind.

And what an abject failure that was when people realised the con it was.

People go on about infrastructure. But isnt it a case of just changing/adding different frequencies in the existing towers? Surely it (investments) cant be on the same scale as the earlier 3G deployment.

And wouldnt the bigger infrastructure costs be on the comsumers too, in having to buy NEWER AND COMPATIBLE multi-frequency handsets to avail of this "speed boosts"?

These Telcos like to play the victims, buts its us consumers who ultimately pay.

11. feanor
    FAIL

If 4G coverage goes the way of 3G then its going to become usable for me in about 2020. Whats the point?

12. JB
    Unhappy

Data caps

After using 4G LTE here in Northern California for about 6 months, my advice: don't bother! AT&T were 'kind' enough to up my data allowance from 200MB to 300MB, but even then, with only moderate usage, I've burned through that in about 3 weeks, and for that I pay the equivalent of about 60 quid a month (that is, data, 400 minutes of calls and 200 texts...how generous!)

I really wish we had European style mobile phone pricing over here, but with the current AT&T/Verizon virtual duopoly it'll never happen.

13. ScottME
    Devil

Coverage is still piss-poor across much of UK. It's many years since I noted getting substantially better service in the essentially unpopulated Moroccan Atlas Mountains than I get in prosperous rural Hampshire, and yet nothing much has changed in the interim. Improving coverage and eliminating "not-spots" should be the mobile providers' priority, not continually pandering to and competing for the revenue from those who already have an embarrassment of choice as to where they get their high-speed Internet access.

Aint gonna happen though, not this side of the revolution.

14. Chris 11
    Meh

Poppycock

I have a 4G phone (Xperia V) the battery easily lasts the day, and Im an instagram/facebook/twitter regular user. Why this 4G battery life bashing - its your phone choices that need looking into!

As for data use, as my 4G is faster than my home network Im eating data at a rate of knots, way more than the 1-2Gb I used to use on 3G, only on 3G there was also a fair use plan so could go over, but 4G you have to pay for extra. 4G is proving to be quite the pricey exercise..

15. Pan_Handle

Axes grinding

Sounds as if author is grinding their axes.

4G on EE is impressively fast (35Mbps down, 20 up, 34ms ping). This leads to a far more pleasant smartphone experience. The coverage in my city is fine. It costs a few quid more than 3G - no more than that - I got 'double data' allowance, kept my Orange loyalty discount and paid £30 up front for the phone. I can tether for the few occasions I need to - and staying within the 2GB limit is not difficult. The iPhone 5 works brilliantly. The battery life is fine.

Relax, dear, it's just a consumer choice, not a religion. Not perfect or right for everyone but great for me and many others.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like